Premed 101 Forums

Who is participating in summer research?

Cerena

Are you participating in research this summer?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are you participating in research this summer?

• Yes
    • No

• 1 month later...

i would if i could get a position. urgh i am so upset i couldn't get a position!!!

replies i get

-prof: oh ur only going to 2nd year

-prof: no i do not have any funding

-prof: other excuses

-prof: you dont have enough experience (how am i supposed to get some if nobody is gonna give me a chance)

-hospital: i get put on hold for like 30 mins

How do you get these positions!

Work for free (i.e., volunteer). That's what I did for my first research gig. It turned into a paying job for a year and a half that led to publications + presentations. I think I just got lucky, but at least you will get some experience out of it, even if you aren't getting paid.

^I even tried that, i asked some of my profs and they denied me (passive aggressively)

I have like lost hope in so many people; it is so demeaning being turned down my offer of volunteering my skills, service and time for free for a charitable cause that I actually believe in.

-Give back to local hospital (they ask for donations, but wont accept my time)

-st johns ambulance, my local branch i emailed them twice yet to hear back from them

-Professors for research

I am tired of giving hand outs to charities, if they wont accept me to volunteer for them.

i always find it ironic that they hand out nsercs purely based on gpas. people with 4.0's usually don't go into research, on the other hand, people with decent marks and other interests are far more likely to go into research and want to be a researcher... but i guess my cognitive perceptual pigeon research will come into handy some day when i'm some health bureaucrat... o well, least my lab mates were a good time and there was always good beer!

I dont have an 89 average. I have a low 80 average, and even though the odds aren't in my favor i will still apply for one in fall.

i always find it ironic that they hand out nsercs purely based on gpas. people with 4.0's usually don't go into research, on the other hand, people with decent marks and other interests are far more likely to go into research and want to be a researcher... but i guess my cognitive perceptual pigeon research will come into handy some day when i'm some health bureaucrat... o well, least my lab mates were a good time and there was always good beer!

Agreed. When I look at NSERC recipients, almost all of them are aiming for medicine. I know of just two NSERC holders who aren't- one's going for physiotherapy and the other into research. I think it's kind of silly to base the application on GPA alone and not take into account factors such as a personal essay and an examination of the nature of the project planned.

I wanted to get a job in more of an "evaluating medicine/health care" or "health policy" field this summer in case I didn't get into med school... and because that field interests me. so I did. and while I can't enjoy my summer like I know a lot of my friends are who've also gotten into med school (travelling, volunteer, etc...) at least my boss is a baller and I have $$$ to pay off my debt/travel eventually :P

I am taking over a thesis project that involved my spending 4hrs on EM training two weeks ago. Volunteer based research, but helps me learn more procedures and be prepared for my thesis. Our department is small and doesn't have grad students so undergrads are trained to perform perfusions, surgeries, injections, confocal studies, EM studies, etc.--a big advantage over large universities with grad students (and we actually have equipment). Instead of taking on a summer job that I'm overqualified for and would then have to pay for daycare (it remains subsidized as long as I'm in class) I am taking 6 courses this summer, so funding isn't an issue. I enjoy the summer lab work--less bustle.

Far more likely, eh? Show me the research lol. I doubt that's the case. There's a ton of smart people out there with >3.8 GPAs who just don't care about being a physician and would rather do research, mind you they'd have a good shot at an MD if they wanted to. There's probably more people out there with great GPAs that don't care about medicine than there are those that do.

Agreed. When I look at NSERC recipients, almost all of them are aiming for medicine. I know of just two NSERC holders who aren't- one's going for physiotherapy and the other into research. I think it's kind of silly to base the application on GPA alone and not take into account factors such as a personal essay and an examination of the nature of the project planned.

I'd venture to say you only know 2 people period then because the majority of NSERC holders probably don't care for medicine at all. It's natural sciences and engineering; if you think every student in a program related to that who gets NSERC is aiming for medicine then obviously you've been hanging around too many premeds.

As for application grading, it makes zero sense to give a research award to the person who writes a good essay about themselves. Also, it makes no sense to give the award based on research proposal since at the undergrad level it's not the students proposal: it's the professors, with the students name slapped on top. At the undergrad level, understanding of research is slim to none, so the only way to ensure some degree of success is course grades. Good grades typically means you know your stuff in a particular area, and can thus comprehend what the heck you'll be doing in the lab all summer long.

I'd venture to say you only know 2 people period then because the majority of NSERC holders probably don't care for medicine at all.

Every NSERC recipient at my campus (in the Faculty of Bio) this year will be applying to medicine.

if you think every student in a program related to that who gets NSERC is aiming for medicine then obviously you've been hanging around too many premeds.

I was writing in support of muse's post, that people with very high GPAs are more likely to be on the medical track than the research one. The point isn't that people with high GPA's don't aim for research, it's that the that med school admission system is set up in such a way that within a given pool of people, the ones with higher GPAs are likely to be on the medschool track. The current NSERC system favors premeds at my faculty, ie. the ones who struggle for every extra mark to get that 4.0

I knew every NSERC holder in my department, we we're all on the same 3 floors... they ended up in clinical psychology, counselling psychology (x a bunch), medicine (*2), occupational therapy... one guy became a research assistant... he's dating my friend and he's only doing it because he can't get a job.

Granted this isn't all medicine, but I was in the psych department, and they all related to a professional program that isn't related to the research they did with their NSERC.

Most people who do NSERCS in the biological sciences have no intention of pursuing research, they may not pursue medicine, but they definitely don't go down the research path, most of the people I knew that wanted to do research didn't have high enough grades.

The only discipline where people getting NSERCS are likely to consider grad school is engineering.

Like or not, NSERCS are nice looking scholarships and people get them to put on their CV, not intrinsically because they love the research process.

Good grades really don't have any correlation with ones ability to be a good researcher or do lab techniques properly, except for showing a willingness to work hard (which is all good grades shows in the majority of students in my view)

For the record, I mostly hung out with the c's for degrees crowd, something about being overly ambitious to the sake of caring about nothing else is just obnoxious and annoying.

I'd venture to say you only know 2 people period then because the majority of NSERC holders probably don't care for medicine at all. It's natural sciences and engineering; if you think every student in a program related to that who gets NSERC is aiming for medicine then obviously you've been hanging around too many premeds.

Good grades typically means you know your stuff in a particular area, and can thus comprehend what the heck you'll be doing in the lab all summer long.

...Most people who do NSERCS in the biological sciences have no intention of pursuing research, they may not pursue medicine, but they definitely don't go down the research path, most of the people I knew that wanted to do research didn't have high enough grades...

...Good grades really don't have any correlation with ones ability to be a good researcher or do lab techniques properly, except for showing a willingness to work hard (which is all good grades shows in the majority of students in my view)...

I could agree that there's probably more bio people after medicine. But those with NSERC and chasing medicine in engineering, chemistry, neuroscience, psych, some kinesiology students are likely not the majority.

I agree that grades aren't a perfect evaluation, but as an undergrad award, I think it's the only thing somewhat relevant to look at.

I am so excited! I have been volunteering with a prof since April on her graduate student's research project and I got an e-mail from a post doc who has funding and is willing to take me on with his research. Apparently the prof I was volunteering with recommended me to him. He is giving me my own research project in biological waste water treatment with the opportunity for publications (He actually said we could get you published by the end of the summer if all goes well!). I am so happy right now you guys have no idea! Now I am working in two labs this summer...

I just had to share!

Cheers

I have just finished up grad school so I get to do only fun research this summer... Two case reports, a review paper and a letter to the editor! If I can get them all published it would be amazing. Especially the letter to the editor since my old supervisor has agreed to help me with it but I am going to be the only author! Exciting!!

I have just finished up grad school so I get to do only fun research this summer... Two case reports, a review paper and a letter to the editor! If I can get them all published it would be amazing. Especially the letter to the editor since my old supervisor has agreed to help me with it but I am going to be the only author! Exciting!!

Awesome job, EoE!

Extra-terrestrial, as in the movie, as in "phone home". I was calling you an alien................ its not funny of I have to explain it................. I feel old now.

Don't sweat it. Most people would get it. I'm just not myself today. That's all :)

Oh, and I am an alien. It's normal, nothing to worry about!

Archived