Premed 101 Forums

unmatched ontario applicants

any idea why there was 37 Ontario med school applicants that went unmatched in the first iteration this cycle, in contrast to their being only 1 last cycle?

or am i reading this wrong... (i.e. is "Prior year graduates unmatched" referring to people who graduated last year, didn't enter residency last year, applied this year, and didn't get in R-1?)

http://carms.ca/pdfs/2011R1_MatchResults/39_Applicant%20Pool%20by%20Medical%20School_2nd%20Iteration_en.pdf

Is this because those individuals only gunned for more competitive specialties?

It could be a combination of many factors. The CaRMS guide states that most people do not match because they either did not list enough programs (it's recommended to list all programs you can see yourself at), were not realistic about their career goals (so I'm guessing sub-par interviews, not enough electives, no research if it's a very competitive field, and inappropriate amount of recommendation letters) or had some sort of red flag on their application. Mind you that a majority of people do match to their first choice discipline (I think in the range of 85-90% of people) but fewer people match to their first choice program (more in the range of 60-65%).

CaRMS is an interesting game...still haven't learned that much about it, maybe a more experienced student or a resident could comment. :)

Carms sucks. It'll suck even worse when the expanded medical school classes get to experience it.

Write, and crush, the USMLE. Think of it as your contingency plan. Don't be so sure you'll want to do family medicine and therefore will not need any contingency plans. That's what I'd do if I had my day over again.

Carms sucks. It'll suck even worse when the expanded medical school classes get to experience it.

Write, and crush, the USMLE. Think of it as your contingency plan. Don't be so sure you'll want to do family medicine and therefore will not need any contingency plans. That's what I'd do if I had my day over again.

Agreed, carms really does suck. I've seen some exceptional ppl get pretty disappointing outcomes. Seems very luck based which is unfortunate (letters from "important" ppl, making sure nobody wih a say dislikes you, showing well at interviews, freedom to move...)

Get used to it. Admission to medical school, despite its vagaries, is still mainly based on merit. By the time of residency applications, interpersonal relations play a much bigger role, and by the time one starts applying for jobs, the soft skills of communication, good relationships, etc play a MUCH larger role than any measure of medical competence.

Seems very luck based which is unfortunate (letters from "important" ppl' date=' making sure nobody wih a say dislikes you, showing well at interviews, freedom to move...)[/quote']

i wouldn't call that luck per se... it is important to put yourself in a position where you can get letters from important people / get to know people on the adcom, to make sure nobody with a say dislikes you, and you are well-prepared for the interviews

Archived