Premed 101 Forums

The 2011 Waitlist

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone, haven't posted in awhile. Got in off the waitlist at the same time as Ace. Surprised since their office is closed at that time.

SMP too, neither my first or second choice.

I think what happened is that they gave the open VFMP spots to successful applicants that did not initially get their first choice. Maybe someone can confirm since I know there are a bunch of you guys on this forum.

What they do is that they rank everyone 1 to however many people were interviewed. The top 288 people are sent to their first or second choice. If someone is in the top 288 and there is no seat to his/her first or second choice, that person is offered a spot at a campus where there are seats available. Ranks 289 and above are waitlisted up to the first "rejection rank". After the initial declining and accepting of offers, waitlisted people are offered sites according to their first and second choices. If the first and second choices of that waitlisted person are full, they're offered a spot at a campus where there's a spot available.

That's how Dr. Finkler explained it at the post-interview orientation after the essay station. They told us not to play the numbers game because everyone ranked 1-288 will be offered a spot. It may not be their first or second choice, but they will be offered a spot somewhere.

What they do is that they rank everyone 1 to however many people were interviewed. The top 288 people are sent to their first or second choice. If someone is in the top 288 and there is no seat to his/her first or second choice, that person is offered a spot at a campus where there are seats available. Ranks 289 and above are waitlisted up to the first "rejection rank". After the initial declining and accepting of offers, waitlisted people are offered sites according to their first and second choices. If the first and second choices of that waitlisted person are full, they're offered a spot at a campus where there's a spot available.

That's how Dr. Finkler explained it at the post-interview orientation after the essay station. They told us not to play the numbers game because everyone ranked 1-288 will be offered a spot. It may not be their first or second choice, but they will be offered a spot somewhere.

So that even includes NMP even if you didn't fill out a rural statement?

Me! Hopefully :P

I haven't declined at UBC yet because I really want to get my U of A forms and criminal record check handed in first- I'm paranoid that if I decline at UBC I'm going to somehow screw up the U of A forms and then I won't have anywhere to go!

So I'll try and do that quickly for you :P

-Alright, I have officially declined! Best of luck!

Archived