Premed 101 Forums

The 2011 Waitlist

Optimism (not to be confused with being delusional) should be practised. Envision yourself in medical school and believe in all the hard work that you have put towards achieving your goal!!!

Sorry if I sound too preachy but others gave me the same advice throughout my many many attempts!:o

You'll get there.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys,

I received a change of site offer to IMP from SMP, so there should be a spot opening up. Hope it goes to someone on pm101. I know of at least 2 others that received similar offers, so don't give up hope.

From what I've seen, there doesn't seem to be much movement for VFMP. I suspect it's because of the increase in OOP spots this year.

Last year, there were 12 OOP spots offered and 192 total seats in Vancouver.

This year, there were 29 OOP spots offered. Still 192 seats in Vancouver.

So while the total number of seats (+32 from SMP) went up, there are probably fewer IP VFMP seats because of how competitive OOP candidates are.

How do you know this statistic, cheeseshredder?

That information is widely known and available through http://www.med.ubc.ca

They have up to 29 seats reserved for OOP offers. Approximately 100 people were intereviewed for those seats.

The VFMP site has 192 seats available.

The rest have 32 seats. Which gives a total of 288.

I believe cheese is implying that a majority of the OOP seats will be taken at VFMP as that would be their first choice and they would be quite high on the rank list so would probably get their first choice of site. I'm sure not all of the OOP seats will go to VFMP though... gotta be at least 1 or 2 willing to hit up Kelowna or the other two sites.

It also makes sense that the number of seats going up would still help the IP students as UBC is, based in BC and the goal was to get people from BC to train in BC and stay in BC (more specifically, underserved parts of BC). Just clarifying in case somebody thought it was unfair to the OOP students who have 92% averages and multiple acceptances :P

That information is widely known and available through http://www.med.ubc.ca

They have up to 29 seats reserved for OOP offers. Approximately 100 people were intereviewed for those seats.

The VFMP site has 192 seats available.

The rest have 32 seats. Which gives a total of 288.

I believe cheese is implying that a majority of the OOP seats will be taken at VFMP as that would be their first choice and they would be quite high on the rank list so would probably get their first choice of site. I'm sure not all of the OOP seats will go to VFMP though... gotta be at least 1 or 2 willing to hit up Kelowna or the other two sites.

It also makes sense that the number of seats going up would still help the IP students as UBC is, based in BC and the goal was to get people from BC to train in BC and stay in BC (more specifically, underserved parts of BC). Just clarifying in case somebody thought it was unfair to the OOP students who have 92% averages and multiple acceptances :P

It certainly helps, many people including myself probably wouldn't have gotten a spot at all if there wasn't an extra 32 seats in Kelowna.

But I do think that if you're IP and wanting Vancouver, you may be a bit worse off under this new allocation scheme.

While there are undoubtedly some OOPers wanting SMP/IMP/NMP, the majority are going to want Vancouver. Since the number of OOP seats has more than doubled compared to previous years and the number of VFMP seats remain the same, it's very likely that IP applicants are affected.

If you take a look at waitlist movement so far, all the VFMP spots are going to OOP candidates. I haven't heard of any IP waitlisters getting anything besides SMP/IMP.

Apologies, I took "this year, 29 spots were offered to OOP" to mean that exactly 29 OOP applicants were accepted and wondered how someone would already have access to this cycle's matriculant stats.

IP Waitlisted - never posted before - still keeping my fingers crossed

I guess they'll be sending out rejection letters soon? Judging by 2010, around mid June or maybe sooner? I guess it would be nice to know one way or another?

IP Waitlisted - never posted before - still keeping my fingers crossed

I guess they'll be sending out rejection letters soon? Judging by 2010, around mid June or maybe sooner? I guess it would be nice to know one way or another?

They send out regrets to people who are further down the waitlist sooner. There are some people who will remain waitlisted right up until class starts at the end of August...they need to keep a few people on reserve in case guys like me can't finish their graduate degree in time, for example. Good luck!

They send out regrets to people who are further down the waitlist sooner. There are some people who will remain waitlisted right up until class starts at the end of August...they need to keep a few people on reserve in case guys like me can't finish their graduate degree in time, for example. Good luck!

+1

Happened to a friend of mine last cycle.

I am already removed from the waitlist,

but it seems like some people are still dropping their offer. Has there ever been a time when removed waitlisters are put back on?

It's extremely rare, but I have heard that this happened before. Obviously this requires an extreme flux of offer declinations after paying the deposit, which doesn't really happen.

This is directly from the official U of C blog:

"There is lots of anxiety amongst those of you on the waitlist, and I understand that. The class is nearly “full” in the sense that we have less than 10 offers currently out to applicants. That said, there is still a fair bit of movement to go. Just today we received notification that two accepted applicants would be deferring to join the LIM program, another applicant withdrew to attend his hometown school after getting off the waitlist there. We also just received notice from OMSAS that four people on our accepted list have also accepted offers elsewhere. I expect that one or two of those people are in fact going to be attending elsewhere. I fully expect to move another dozen or more places down the waitlist, although it will take a 2-3 weeks to do so, and this part of the process is very unpredictable. It could be 3, it could be 15. Every year I think that we are “done” early, and we never are.

I sent out a quick note to a group of people on the waitlist who do not appear to have a meaningful chance of getting an offer letting them know. If you did not get that note, we are not toying with you, honest….."

Given that Calgary is a 3-year program and our neighbour province, it makes sense that a small cohort of people who have already accepted their offers at UBC are on the Calgary waitlist...............

I will try my best to keep this thread alive until August.

Cheers Everyone.

Archived