Premed 101 Forums

The 2011 Waitlist

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's what it seems like from the "June 27, 2011 at 10:54 pm" reply from UBC Admissions. But then the "June 27, 2011 at 7:21 pm" reply says that there are different waitlists for the different sites... Does this seem contradictory to anyone else?

I mean, if site ranking does not have anything to do with who gets an offer from the waitlist, why do they have 4 waitlists?

You are right about the site ranking does not have anything to do with the offer. The different wailtlists for the different sites are for people who get accepted but didn't get into their first site of choice.

Is anyone else curious how many WL-ers were reinstated? I thought if we could get an idea, we may have some sort of inkling how close we are (eg. 5 vs. 50). Not sure if it's possible to get an accurate read on here though.

Anyway, I was one.

Thought this was pretty ridiculous. UBC should've just kept everyone on the list and given some sort of approximate ranking instead of now, having to reject a bunch of people twice. Now I feel like even if we no longer have a shot, they'll still keep us on the list so they can avoid this scenario again.

I'm happy I might have a chance still, but disappointed at the lack of consideration for prospective students' lives.

I'm happy I might have a chance still, but disappointed at the lack of consideration for prospective students' lives.
Actually, I think it's because of that consideration that they send out rejections for waitlisters so you can move on with your lives or continue working on a new application. By putting people back on the waitlist, it leaves them hanging. I don't blame UBC since there was an unprecedented amount of waitlist movement this year.

What they could have done if they ran out of WLs is to just call up the next person on the list and avoid putting a number of people back on the waitlist. There is a high probability that some of those called back waitlisters will not get in, so being put back on the list is just unnecessary stress, excitment, etc...

Good luck !!!

I agree with both of you. UBC's calculated number was off because they had no idea, people would be rejecting their SMP offers. What they should've have done is instead of rejecting some waitlisters, send an email to them and simply inform them that "statistically they don't have much chance". This would have been way more professional and thoughtful than rejection followed by "oops" we want you back on the list. For a university this large our MD admission definitely needs a re-haul.

Additionally, UBC made two more mistakes this year: 1) They released the statistics of people who got interviews couple of days before interview invites were out. This simply was a torture for all applicants. 2) They mailed out the offers couple of days before May 13, to some applicants, via snail-mail. Personally, it was very frustrating to find out that some people randomly got their offers early while others did not.

Conclusion: I don't understand why we can't be like the American or English Medical schools - Both countries have centralized application systems (AMCAS and UCAS). If all Canadian medical schools join OMSAS, among other things the whole wait list business would be way more efficient and fair - Because no one will be able or forced to sit on their offers to wait for other school's WL.

What they could have done if they ran out of WLs is to just call up the next person on the list and avoid putting a number of people back on the waitlist. There is a high probability that some of those called back waitlisters will not get in, so being put back on the list is just unnecessary stress, excitment, etc...

Good luck !!!

Thanks. It's a good idea in theory, but how would they let people know ahead of time that they might be considered? and should thus, somewhat, put their lives on hold.

I agree with 3kgt48, they should just be more transparent and keep all of us more informed regarding our status instead of playing this mystery game. It feels like they're just keeping everything covered up so they can avoid embarrassing situations.

Actually, I think it's because of that consideration that they send out rejections for waitlisters so you can move on with your lives or continue working on a new application. By putting people back on the waitlist, it leaves them hanging. I don't blame UBC since there was an unprecedented amount of waitlist movement this year.

I was referring to the back and forth of being on the waitlist, not the first rejection off the waitlist. Basically they've said, well, you're not getting in, move on, start a new application. So, you work work work on your next thing, then a month later, Oh wait, you MIGHT get in! Wanna get back on the list? uhhh...what?!

People have lives, choices cost money, what if in that time you'd made an irreversible decision?

At this point, the least they could do is give us, reinstated WL-ers (and even original WL-ers), some sort of idea regarding numbers or rankings. We already know we're at the bottom of the barrel, we know we have very slim chances, so why not let us know how far we are? This mystery seems all too unnecessary (I don't buy the reason they give stating it's too difficult to give applicants a ranking). Who knows how many WL-ers UBC has reinstated unnecessarily just so they can have a large room for error. It's totally unfair and inconsiderate to applicants;but, unfortunately, we have to take it because they know we would all put up with it for a shot to get in.

Thanks. It's a good idea in theory, but how would they let people know ahead of time that they might be considered? and should thus, somewhat, put their lives on hold.

Oh I agree with 3k about how they should have went about this from the start. I was specifically talking about what they should have done once they ran out of waitlisted applicants. I feel being reinstated puts your life on hold and you feel back on the rollercoaster again especially if you are not then accepted!

Personally I see nothing wrong with providing a rank or even a relative idea of the liklihood of admission based on previous year's stats

I feel for those remaining on the waitlist.

This year has been different than any other year for UBC.

I think the stats say something like ~200 people were disqualified from the application pre-interview which is, if I remember correctly, about 8-10x the usual number.

The SMP, new AQ and shift in MCAT requirements are probably all factors in the significant swing in dsq's and waitlist movement.

Let's hope that some movement happens so that those remaining on the waitlist can get some closure and move forward (hopefully with an acceptance!)

Good luck gang!

Pharmer Jo,

How is your post related to the Waitlist thread or any of the other threads that you have "spammed". It doesn't matter if you are promoting a commercial product or a non-profit organization, spamming is spamming.

Cheers,

It might help you get off the waitlist next year.

Cheers

I posted a rather unfriendly response earlier that I deleted. Here is the nicer version.

It's poor forum etiquette to derail 3 threads with your spam. What you should have done is start a separate topic (just one).

In particular, this thread is filled with waitlisters anxiously checking for movement updates. Bumping it with irrelevant information tends to put people on edge. Replying with "it might help you get off the waitlist next year" is not the best thing to do btw ;).

It might help you get off the waitlist next year.

Cheers

Good point Pharmer Jo, perhaps it might actually help me get off the waitlist next year or better yet it might even improve the current condition for Africans and citizens of every single third-world country out there. But the real question that you gotta ask yourself here is that given your attitude towards me and other forum users, would anyone want you as their future doctor or even pharmacist?

I guess, welcome to the forums. You have definitely chosen an interesting method to introduce yourself to us.

I've deleted the post and started a new thread. Sorry, first time poster, but you shouldn't make snap judgments of how good or bad of a pharmacist I'd be based on such a little thing, something you could have easily ignored. Remember, you're going to be asked to handle life and death situations, something incomparable to this.

As a professional, you shouldn't make snarky remarks, Pharmer Jo. There's no excuse for that post you made that will be perceived by waitlisters as aggressive and unnecessarily confrontational.

My apologies. Lessons learnt. Good luck on your applications.

Archived