Premed 101 Forums

The 2011 Waitlist

Anyone heard anything? Please take the time to post, if you have been accepted of the waitlist. It really makes our day. Every time someone posts, I instantly think I'll be next :). Gotta have fun with small things in life!

Cheers,

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW!!! That is crazy that they are re-adding people. Must have felt good! Good luck to all those on the waitlist. There seems to be tons of movement and you must be so very close now....fingers crossed for you all! I imagine another spike in movement will come after June 30 when grad students need to be finished their programmes.

I know one person who lost his spot, 3 years ago, because he could not defend by June 30th - Thankfully, he got accepted the following year. In my opinion, it's super rare for someone to miss the deadline. Either way, the best case scenario has happened this year and we should all be super thankful. It must feel awesome to be put back on the WL after being rejected. At the same time, you have all joined the WL TORTURE.

Cheers,

I am in a unique situation because I have already accepted at U of A, but still would prefer going to UBC if I had the chance. The wait is killing me because its preventing me from getting a place in Edmonton since I feel I still have a slim chance at UBC.

Line7, where you put back on the WL? or are you on the original WL? Either way, have hope man because it could happen. I have a spot in calgary but I will decline it by the end of today because my partner can't move to AB with me. So for me, it's UBC or nothing this cycle.

Line7, where you put back on the WL? or are you on the original WL? Either way, have hope man because it could happen. I have a spot in calgary but I will decline it by the end of today because my partner can't move to AB with me. So for me, it's UBC or nothing this cycle.

Ummm I know this is your own life and youve probably thought it through, but I wouldn't pass up a guaranteed spot at Calgary for a chance to get in at Ubc or next cycle... You may not get in next year due to a number of variables outside of your control.

I would take the spot at Calgary and do the long distance thing. If your partner loves you and it's a forever kind of deal- a couple months apart at a time won't end your relationship.

This is your future we're talking about.

Just throwing that out there.

How does this work? Our of curiosity, are you not allowed to hold onto UofC and wait for UBC?

I couldn't agree more with hking... and backpacker is stating what should definitely be done. If you have not disclosed your case in the full then ignore what we are saying, perhaps there is much more to your decision process here... but you can easily hold down UofC, and wait for UBC to open up... if it is your dream to become a doc... I wouldn't give up a guaranteed spot so easily...just wait it out and let things fall in place as they should. If you really cant move to Calgary, then best of luck in the future and my hope is that you wont regret the decision.

Thank hking. I have thought it through but there numbers of complications. 1: our 2-year-old son is severely disabled and needs someone to look after him all the time. 2: we have a relatively successful business in Vancouver and if I leave we'll probably have to close it down - financially this option doesn't work. 3: My partner has moved to different countries and provinces for my studies and work, several times - we just can't do it anymore. Life is complicated but what can you do. I'll role with the punches for now.

P.S. I agree 100% that there is no grantee that I will even receive an interview next year, let alone be accepted. But at the same time I think it's morally wrong (not legally) if I hold on to my spot in Calgary, because someone else's life could potentially be altered in a negative way.

P.S. I agree 100% that there is no grantee that I will even receive an interview next year, let alone be accepted. But at the same time I think it's morally wrong (not legally) if I hold on to my spot in Calgary, because someone else's life could potentially be altered in a negative way.

That is very humble and thoughtful of you!

Thank hking. I have thought it through but there numbers of complications. 1: our 2-year-old son is severely disabled and needs someone to look after him all the time. 2: we have a relatively successful business in Vancouver and if I leave we'll probably have to close it down - financially this option doesn't work. 3: My partner has moved to different countries and provinces for my studies and work several times and we just can't do it anymore. Life is complicated but what can you do. I'll role with the punches for now.

P.S. I agree 100% that there is no grantee that I will even receive an interview next year, let alone be accepted.

Totally justifiable my friend.

I just wanted to throw it out there in case you were just worried about the ld relationship.

You'll still have a good chance next year and I hope you get in this year at Ubc.

Just so you know, I've got some experience working with various programs in Vancouver through centre of ability, sunnyhill and bcch for kids with disabilities- if you feel like chatting about it a bit you can pm me more details. I'm sure you're pretty hooked up with services, but I just wanted to throw that out there.

Good luck

I know I am.....and Im not even on the waitlist. Pulling for all of you though, especially those on the original list. Seen as how they feel the need to reinvite people on to the list you must be sooooo close. Cant imagine how you must feel right now but Im pulling for all of you still hanging in there.:)

So according to the Blog, just as I thought, one's site ranking has nothing to do with who gets an offer!

I guess no movement on the forum today!!! I am hoping for some good news before the Canada day weekend. Let's keep our hopes alive!!!!

So according to the Blog, just as I thought, one's site ranking has nothing to do with who gets an offer!

I guess no movement on the forum today!!! I am hoping for some good news before the Canada day weekend. Let's keep our hopes alive!!!!

That's what it seems like from the "June 27, 2011 at 10:54 pm" reply from UBC Admissions. But then the "June 27, 2011 at 7:21 pm" reply says that there are different waitlists for the different sites... Does this seem contradictory to anyone else?

I mean, if site ranking does not have anything to do with who gets an offer from the waitlist, why do they have 4 waitlists?

Here is my guess..

For those who have accepted offers and are not at their first or second choice, there is likely an "site preference" waitlist so they can move to their first or second choice if a spot opens up there.

If a spot opens up, lets say at VFMP and the next person on the waitlist has VFMP as their first choice they get the spot.

However, if a spot opens at VFMP and the next person on the waitlist does not have VFMP as their first or second choice then the admissions committee would offer the spot to the next person on the "site preference" waitlist, which would open up another seat at another location.... which would then go to the first person on the waitlist... unless the next person on the "site preference" waitlist had that location as their first or second choice.

Does that make sense? Feeling a bit dizzy after writing that out. Its like a big game of musical chairs.

Ya I don't believe there would ever be a case where a person that was ranked lower on the waitlist would get a spot over a person ranked above them. I believe they keep the list in place, just so they can make considerations like the above case. If a place opens up at VFMP and a person who previously got into their second choice that was SMP is the next on the waitlist for the VFMP then they will get that first and then 1 spot at the SMP will open up to the next person on the waitlist be it an actual waitlister or another site preference person.

I like your reasoning Dozer :). It definitely makes sense. The only concern that I have is whether the creation of 4 WLs creates confusion and fatal errors among admission people. Let's face it, if they offer someone a spot and realize later that they made a mistake, they can't do much to fix it :(.

I wouldn't worry about the admissions committee making mistakes - I am sure there is an automated system with many "human" checks to ensure everything is done correctly. For a med school that takes 9 months to select their class it seems highly doubtful to me that they would make such an error. Plus - the biggest error would be someone getting their least preferred site - but they would still be accepted. A spot is a spot and anyone should be happy to take what they can get!

Archived