Premed 101 Forums

Working during 1st year med?

Does anyone have any insights into whether or not it's possible to work part-time during the first year in med school? I know it gets busy pretty quick but I heard from several people that the first year isn't bad at all. Has anyone done it or is anyone planning on working at all? I know we get LOC but it just seems like the less you have to use it the better. Opinions?

First off, depends on which school you go to - I hear U of T first year is pretty brutal, while at U of A the first semester is easier than undergrad (picks up in second semester). Second, unless you HAVE to earn money - e.g. you have a family to support, or you are ineligible for student loans for whatever reason and are worried the LOC is not enough for 4 years - I really wouldn't do it. The only situation in which I'd work is if you have a professional designation that allows you to rake in decent cash. E.g. a few people in our class are pharmacists, and I hear you can make $500 in one day. If I could make that much, I'd definitely work an occasional Saturday. But if you are going to be bagging groceries at Superstore, don't do it unless you will starve to death otherwise. Do something fun instead - get to know your classmates, get involved in some ECs, play sports or something.

I guess I should ask why you would feel the need to do that just so I understand where you are coming from?

In general I would say it is possible at some schools I know of but not at all recommended. There are just so many other things that likely would be more useful for you to be doing (in my opinion :) )

Hehe no worries. I'm going to be going to the U of A, and I worked all the way through my undergrad. I was thinking about picking up Friday or Saturday serving shifts here and there, they are pretty great money most of the time, definitely not minimum wage. I haven't set one up yet but my credit is pretty good so I'm assuming I would qualify for a LOC, was just hoping to minimize student debt. Then again, I don't really want to miss out on extracurriculars etc, which is why I wanted to see if anyone else has done it or is planning on it. Thanks :)

Does anyone have any insights into whether or not it's possible to work part-time during the first year in med school?

I think it very much depends on what you did in undergrad. If you've done four years of human biology, then first year medical school might end up being basically a review year for you. If you're coming from English literature, a part time job may not be the best idea. ;)

If you enjoy your job and would have fun continuing it (i.e. coaching), then it's probably worth keeping solely for the recreation factor. Even then, don't overload the shifts per week.

If you hate your job and are only working to pick up a bit of spare cash, don't bother. The $200 bucks you make by working every Friday/Saturday will be blown the first textbook you buy, or travel elective you take. Plus you'll have missed out on all the fun of school. Once you start working as a physician the few thousand dollars you didn't make by not taking a part time job can be earned in a week or so. Hell, even run your clinic an extra hour for a few weeks and you have it made back.

I'm kinda torn between continuing to work during school or not. I'm a pharmacist who'll have a residency and can likely get a job working every saturday - I just don't know if it's worthwhile (I'd make ~400/8hrs gross).

Does anybody have any insight into what options you have for summer employment? It'd be great if I had a few months to make some cash, but what's the deal with "needing electives/research" during the summer?

I'm kinda torn between continuing to work during school or not. I'm a pharmacist who'll have a residency and can likely get a job working every saturday - I just don't know if it's worthwhile (I'd make ~400/8hrs gross).

Does anybody have any insight into what options you have for summer employment? It'd be great if I had a few months to make some cash, but what's the deal with "needing electives/research" during the summer?

mav, we all know that you're a gunner.

you act like you aren't asking silly questions like "what's an elective?"

but really... you've already got 4 lined up. i see right through you.

gunner

mav, we all know that you're a gunner.

you act like you aren't asking silly questions like "what's an elective?"

but really... you've already got 4 lined up. i see right through you.

gunner

It's tough to be a gunner when they only reason I don't wanna work Saturdays (even though I expect 1st/2nd year to be a breeze, relatively) is so that I can go party instead.

Guys, we're supposed to be colleagues! Don't start fighting yet. That's what orientation week is for!

It's a good idea to start challenging people now so you can figure out who the weak ones are. Make sure to stay away from these ones as friends, they will only bring you down. This will also give you a chance to exhibit your dominance among your peers, allowing you to climb up the social ladder in advance.

It's a good idea to start challenging people now so you can figure out who the weak ones are. Make sure to stay away from these ones as friends, they will only bring you down. This will also give you a chance to exhibit your dominance among your peers, allowing you to climb up the social ladder in advance.

Just like peef in the study buddy thread, I will only befriend those in my class who meet pre-defined cut offs for GPA and interview percentiles. After all, the only way to match into the Plastic Dermatopthomology Surgery residency is to surround yourself with intelligent and motivated people as friends.

Just like peef in the study buddy thread, I will only befriend those in my class who meet pre-defined cut offs for GPA and interview percentiles. After all, the only way to match into the Plastic Dermatopthomology Surgery residency is to surround yourself with intelligent and motivated people as friends.

Ah yes, excellent. Being close to these people will also give you ample opportunity to sabotage the ones who are competing for residency spots with you around interview time.

You don't HAVE to do electives/research in the summer. I didn't do anything medicine-related last summer. From people who did, I've heard mixed reviews. Some had a great time, some really regretted doing it (research, not electives - electives always seem to be a good experience). If you are not sure about it, you can always latch onto some project during the school year and then see how you like it. Also, don't forget that your experience as a pharmacist is already a huge asset, so you are already going to stand out among residency applicants and unless you are thinking something VERY competitive, you are under less pressure. This summer, I'm doing an elective, but only because it'll allow me to take some time off during 3rd year, which I suspect will prove very valuable.

For research, there are always paid opportunities in the summer - not much, but enough to cover your living expenses through the summer for sure. Between Nov-Mar, you'll be bombarded by e-mails from your student affairs office with links to various research scholarships. For example, there are revolving opportunities for diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis research, from what I recall. Also, there will be regular e-mails from upper year students or residents who need some assistance with chart reviews or whatever and will put you down as a co-author on their paper. Plus, if U if A is anything like other schools, your school will likely have a list of summer jobs in the medical departments, and as a med student, you will probably be more competitive for these positions than most undergrads. And, of course, you can always be proactive and seek out opportunities by shadowing docs and seeing what projects they have going on. I remember someone in our class last year had SEVEN offers for summer research opportunities!

But honestly, I would take at least one summer off - you can still pick up pharmacy shifts, but spend the bulk of your time relaxing. Between 2nd and 3rd year would be most valuable, IMO, so you are well-rested before clerkship starts. A few of my friends who ended up doing research this summer were saying it probably wasn't the best idea, as they were really exhausted by the end of second year, since it's much busier and there are lots of exams right at the end.

Archived