Premed 101 Forums

Official 2011/2012 Applicant Thread

Can you guys just clear up one thing for me. The deadline for submission is oct 3rd and deadline by which the transcripts must arrive by is also the 3rd. If the transcripts are only sent to OMSAS once I submit and pay the fees, then wouldn't submitting on Oct 3rd make my transcripts arrive at OMSAS past Oct3rd? Does this mean I have to submit my application well before the actual deadline to make sure the transcripts get to OMSAS on time?

As long as you submit your application by Oct 3 its fine. OMSAS will retrieve the transcript later without penalty.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When entering research into OMSAS, it says 'Your Role.' For conferences (talks and posters) what would this be? I've already made it clear it was a talk in former parts of the application but I'm not sure what is expected in "Your role."

"To explain my research over 2010 to the international community" ?

or something along those lines?

Who did you put for Queen Elizabeth II Aiming for the Top Scholarship verifier?

"Any activities that can be substantiated by academic transcripts do not require verifiers (e.g., scholarships, special commendations). In these cases, use "0" as the verifier number. "

So for your Queen Elizabeth Award, "0" is the way to go :) .

Hope that helps!

HI EVERYONE,

I just wanted to make this post for those who are confused about the October 3rd and December 1st date for reference letter submission at Ontario schools.

I CALLED both OMSAS and the Medical Schools in Ontario, and the individuals I spoke with told me that OMSAS EXPECTS to receive the forms by October 3rd, HOWEVER, receiving reference letters after October 3rd DOES NOT MEAN your application won't be considered. As long as the reference letters are received BEFORE December 1st, medical school will consider your application.

Moreover, whether OMSAS receives the reference letters by October 3rd OR December 1st DOES NOT increase or decrease the chance of your application. ALL APPLICATIONS will be treated equally as long as the reference letters are received BEFORE December 1st.

Yes, I know...having 2 different deadlines is confusing and may seem unnecessary, but this is set in place to try and avoid things which are NOT in the applicant's control; when the referee sends the letter.

Hope that helps anyone who may be confused by these dates...I certainly was :P

Tesla

Sorry for the back to back posts everyone, but I think these are issues/questions that MANY applicants have.

In terms of OMSAS character limit, you may know by now that it is a mere 150 characters. Contrary to common misconception, character does not only include LETTERS, but also includes: space, comma, period, forward slash, semi-colon, dash, any numbers, brackets.

To make it even simpler...ANYTIME YOU TOUCH YOUR KEYBOARD AND SOMETHING HAPPENS IN THE OMSAS TEXT BOX...IT COUNTS AS A CHARACTER :D. In essence, the 150 characters, AT BEST, translates into 2 well written sentences, and sometimes not even that.

"OMG! I don't have enought space to explain the AMAZING TRIP I took to Africa!" :P - This is very true, but this is also where you get creative with how you present and write your entry. Instead of writing "and" you could write "&"...instead of listing things with commas and a space following it, you could list using slashes:

I bought tomatoes, onions, green peppers, chicken, potatoes and coke from the grocery store

VS.

OMSAS STYLE :D

I bought tomatoes/onions/green peppers/chicken/potatoes/coke from the grocery store

Trust me, you will WANT to use as little characters as possible!

Lastly, the name of the game is to market yourself. I know that in the "responsibilities" box most people are tempted to LIST what they did...definitely NOT the way to go. Use descriptive words like: compassionately, patiently, consistently, etc. to highlight the SIGNIFICANCE of your actions. They give you 150 characters to market yourself...and by the end of the 150 characters of each entry, they should say..."I want to meet this person"...THEN we are in business...INTERVIEW TIME ;)

Best of luck guys,

PM me if you have any other questions regarding OMSAS procedure.

Tesla

I wouldn't use the @ symbol for an application. I'd risk the extra character and use 'at'.

I hear yah, however:

1. I am saving not one buy two characters as there is no space between

2 @ + shop

2. It depends how important it is to save these characters to the applicant

3. I also recommend no period at end of sentence, thereby saving another character

4. So, it all depends,e.g., if the applicant needs say 5 characters - then he resorts to my suggestions

5. For sure, doing it my way or your way, an interview shall not be denied as a result of these suggestions

6. Each applicant needs to be creative and do what is needful in the circumstances.

This is a worthwhile discussion as each applicant searching for extra characters will be able to consider a variety of options and make a decision.

Hello everyone,

I just finished my second yr of undergrad, started 3rd yr. I was seriously planning on applying to a couple of Ontario med schools (at least Mac and Ottawa). My main objective was to get familiar with the application and the process.

I wrote the MCAT on Sep 2, 2011. Therefore, I did not have much time through out the summer to focus on the application. The last two weeks were spent focusing on getting everything together for university. This weekend was my time to figure out the application stuff. So today I find out that I can't even register for an account on OMSAS because the deadline to make an account was Sep 15. Needless to say, I was extremely angry at myself for not checking it earlier because making an account takes about 10 mins.

I know I am clueless compared to the information you guys have. (plz, don't laugh lol). I ended up discovering this forum today. Now that I am done telling my life story, I'll get to the point.

I wanted to ask if there is anyone here who would be willing to share the information (questions) that the OMSAS application asks. I did read the OMSAS booklet. However, I wanted to ask people who are actually filling it out. Could some please let me know in at least a little detail about the application? I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me out. This seriously was just a matter of time.

Thank you so much.

I dont know but believe you are asking for and expecting the impossible - as others are busy with their applications, studying, ECs, volunteering to mentor you on a hypothetical application.

I think you need to wait another year, do your due diligence, start early and learn as you go like everybody else. Sorry. :mad:

Welcome to the Forum! :P

Send a PM to Tesla and see what he says.

I ended up discovering this forum today.

Start by searching the forums, reading the FAQs and visiting the school websites. You have a year to educate yourself about the admission process, and I suggest you do it without slacking off.

IMO, missing the OMSAS account deadline is kind of ridiculous- it takes a few seconds to check deadlines.

GL with the game! :)

Start by searching the forums, reading the FAQs and visiting the school websites. You have a year to educate yourself about the admission process, and I suggest you do it without slacking off.

IMO, missing the OMSAS account deadline is kind of ridiculous- it takes a few seconds to check deadlines.

GL with the game! :)

It is ridiculous! I agree. In my defense though, I did not know there even exists a deadline to make an account. However, I am not pondering over what could have been. I am gonna try my best to gather as much information as possible so I can do everything on time.

That is why I figured this is probably the best time to ask people about the application because this is when people actually have access to the application.

I am not asking on advice about how to fill it out or what type of things to use. I think I might have been misunderstood. I am not asking to be informed about the whole admission process. I am well aware of it. I am asking for what is actually on the OMSAS application. Maybe someone give a brief layout, tell me what it is asking for? I have an okay idea about it. Again, any information would be appreciated. I understand everyone is busy.

Too complicated and nobody is going to give you their access code or take snapshots so just do what Leon suggested and you will be ready next year when you can look at my Sticky on interview prep located at Med School Interview Forum.

All right, thank you for your advice. If it takes too much time and is too complicated, I completely understand. I understand everyone is busy. And I may have made it sound like I have no idea about this process. That's not true. I am simply trying to gather more info. As you guys advised to start early, that is what I am doing.

However, I will say that I absolutely do not expect anyone to give me their access code or take pictures. No where did I ask anyone to do those things for me. That would be ridiculous.

Again, thank you for replying :)

From what I gather from reading on here, it seems like transcripts are being sent only AFTER your application is complete? I don't really get that, because I just went onto my university's website, requested a transcript, and had it mailed. I'm not getting a confirmation though, and that combined with the comments on this forum makes me kind of worried. Could anyone explain to me what you guys mean?

I go to McGill by the way, so I might be using a different process than you guys to get transcripts in.

It is ridiculous! I agree. In my defense though, I did not know there even exists a deadline to make an account. However, I am not pondering over what could have been. I am gonna try my best to gather as much information as possible so I can do everything on time.

That is why I figured this is probably the best time to ask people about the application because this is when people actually have access to the application.

I am not asking on advice about how to fill it out or what type of things to use. I think I might have been misunderstood. I am not asking to be informed about the whole admission process. I am well aware of it. I am asking for what is actually on the OMSAS application. Maybe someone give a brief layout, tell me what it is asking for? I have an okay idea about it. Again, any information would be appreciated. I understand everyone is busy.

http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/b_omsas_e.pdf

The instruction booklet has everything, and the application basically follows the breakdown in the instruction booklet. I guess the most important thing for your to know here is that there are 48 spots to include all the extra curricular and volunteer work you've done since 16 yrs of age.

From what I gather from reading on here, it seems like transcripts are being sent only AFTER your application is complete? I don't really get that, because I just went onto my university's website, requested a transcript, and had it mailed. I'm not getting a confirmation though, and that combined with the comments on this forum makes me kind of worried. Could anyone explain to me what you guys mean?

I go to McGill by the way, so I might be using a different process than you guys to get transcripts in.

Hey atesme,

In regards to reading that transcripts are sent AFTER your application is complete, this is TRUE for students that are in ONTARIO UNIVERSITIES. On. Uni. students simply click "Request Transcript" on OMSAS and that is all; no need to go to your registrar. Although my knowledge about McGill is limited, as an out of province, non-Ontario, university, you will likely have to get it sent in through your registrar to OMSAS (UNLESS, after registering as a McGill student it says "request transcript" once you click "trancript" in the left navigation bar on OMSAS" - then you can do it through OMSAS). I'm sure the reason why you are not getting a confirmation is because it is the WEEKEND :P ...Give it a couple of business days; I'm sure McGill's speedy service will not let you down.

Hope that helps

Tesla

Archived