Premed 101 Forums

Official 2011/2012 Applicant Thread

Hey everyone,

I have a fairly basic question about reference letters for the OMSAS application.

Now, I have three individuals that I would like to have involved in this portion:

1) Academic (professor has known me since 1st year, I have worked for him, I've shown an upward trend in his classes, have done an independent research project for him, several upper level classes, and simply a great relationship between myself and him).

2) Professional (supervisor for my neurology research over the past year, someone to vouch for my work ethic, organization skills, ability to work with patients, etc.)

3) Volunteer (I have volunteered for this coordinator the past 3 years, someone to vouch for my leadership ability, communication skills, and service ethic)

Maybe I'm just not reading the guidelines properly, but are there certain restrictions when selecting references? E.g. must have 2 academic and 1 nonacademic, etc.

There are no certain restrictions when selecting references though OMSAS does advise that at least 1 of the referees should be a non-academic/character referee which you clearly have already =) Good luck!

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Guys, I have a quick question. Does shadowing a doctor fall under volunteering or extra curricular activity in the sketch portion of the application?

Thanks in advance.

I put it under extracurricular because I was just "shadowing" and not physically doing much (as you would when volunteering). It was also because the organizer for my shadowing experience told me that if I was ever planning to put this on an application to professional school that I should put it under "Extracurriculars". Hope that helps!

To clarify: Each referee sends the Confidential Assessment Form + a single letter of reference to OMSAS. And then OMSAS forwards both to each school?

One of my referees told me that he previously sent a different letter for each Ontario school for an applicant and I don't see how that's possible...

Tks

To clarify: Each referee sends the Confidential Assessment Form + a single letter of reference to OMSAS. And then OMSAS forwards both to each school?

One of my referees told me that he previously sent a different letter for each Ontario school for an applicant and I don't see how that's possible...

Tks

Correct. One copy of the CAF and a letter gets sent to OMSAS. OMSAS then deals with getting copies out to the individual med schools.

I put it under extracurricular because I was just "shadowing" and not physically doing much (as you would when volunteering). It was also because the organizer for my shadowing experience told me that if I was ever planning to put this on an application to professional school that I should put it under "Extracurriculars". Hope that helps!

Thanks a lot :)

I'd say you are overthinking this...if all 45 items are things that you consider to be worthy of mentioning, then by all means include them!

I have 33 personally, and may take out a couple that look like filler. I'm an undergrad though, I think its reasonable for grad students to have lots of items.

Or people who have completed an undergrad and a professional degree (7 years of Uni to accomplish much).

I have 48 and all are worth the slots.

What about professional society membership? Think i should throw that in? And where?

For example, I'm a member of the International Society for Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Medicine.

I don't want to put it in "other" because you can't explain what it is by choosing that option via the expanded section / the main box is too small to even write out the full title....

What about professional society membership? Think i should throw that in? And where?

For example, I'm a member of the International Society for Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Medicine.

I don't want to put it in "other" because you can't explain what it is by choosing that option via the expanded section / the main box is too small to even write out the full title....

I'd go with extracurricular.

When filling in the sketch, should the "responsibilities" section include terms like "I gained leadership experience from this..." etc or should it just be a statement of responsibilities?
Say a bit about your responsibilities and a bit about the skills you gained/strengthened. Apple had a good example (the activity was being a TA):

Specifically, use short, quick phrases and plenty of details. Here's an example:

"Implemented a weekly target for team of 5 to achieve in energy savings and won against 10 teams. Coordinated statistical analysis of all 10 teams. Learned to be accountable & meticulous."

Whoa.

So today was the first day I realized that I might as well give Mac a shot. Worst case scenario = getting valuable experience.

So HELLO OMSAS! (Just in time too.)

Btw, does "Formal Education" include university degrees pursued or is that redundant based on the other areas of the application? Is this simply for things like music lessons, karate, etc?

Can you guys just clear up one thing for me. The deadline for submission is oct 3rd and deadline by which the transcripts must arrive by is also the 3rd. If the transcripts are only sent to OMSAS once I submit and pay the fees, then wouldn't submitting on Oct 3rd make my transcripts arrive at OMSAS past Oct3rd? Does this mean I have to submit my application well before the actual deadline to make sure the transcripts get to OMSAS on time?

Can you guys just clear up one thing for me. The deadline for submission is oct 3rd and deadline by which the transcripts must arrive by is also the 3rd. If the transcripts are only sent to OMSAS once I submit and pay the fees, then wouldn't submitting on Oct 3rd make my transcripts arrive at OMSAS past Oct3rd? Does this mean I have to submit my application well before the actual deadline to make sure the transcripts get to OMSAS on time?

No I think submitting by the 3rd is fine...they probably won't send them THAT day to medical schools they probably have the deadline, then collect the transcripts for a few weeks then send them. I could be wrong but my friends have submitted the day before due and was fine with their apps.

Whoa.

So today was the first day I realized that I might as well give Mac a shot. Worst case scenario = getting valuable experience.

So HELLO OMSAS! (Just in time too.)

Btw, does "Formal Education" include university degrees pursued or is that redundant based on the other areas of the application? Is this simply for things like music lessons, karate, etc?

I put my high school, undergrad and masters for formal education as that's what my buddy who got into uoft did. Just copying her format :-)

Archived