Premed 101 Forums

Line of Credit questions

Hi folks,

I'm going to be meeting with a few bank reps this week and next week and was hoping to get input on what kind of questions I should ask them about what each bank offers. I'm obviously going to look into interest rates and so forth, but thought there might be some other questions I should ask that I haven't thought of.

thanks for your input as always,

Sano

Hi folks,

I'm going to be meeting with a few bank reps this week and next week and was hoping to get input on what kind of questions I should ask them about what each bank offers. I'm obviously going to look into interest rates and so forth, but thought there might be some other questions I should ask that I haven't thought of.

thanks for your input as always,

Sano

hmm sure, - as you say interest rate,

how long is it at prime - during med school? during residency? during all of repayment?

what is the max amount? what is the max amount per year (although after a certain point you probably don't care how much per year)

what sort of visa card will you be able to get

make sure you get a free in every way banking account

do they automatically take the monthly payment directly off of the LOC or do you have to remember that amount to move over

when can you access the money?

just some thoughts :)

If you are thinking of starting a family during residency, I'd ask about their policy on maternity/paternity leave. I posted about this last year, but at RBC they told me about a girl who took a year off during residency to get pregnant, and they completely screwed her over - her loan was frozen and immediately sent into repayment at something like 7%. Her husband was also a resident, so it was physically impossible to pay their bills AND her LOC payments on his salary, so she was forced to work til the last minute and then return to work way earlier than she was planning to.

MD Physician Services exists purely to assist and advise doctors. We've helped thousands of 1st year Med Students finance medical school - and offered advice on managing the debt, financial planning and more.

With over 8000 student members, we understand your needs.

Before you learn about medicine, learn about MD - http://www.md.cma.ca/students

p.s. Like us on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/MedicalStudentsandResidents) to join student relevant discussions, get details the new CMA/MD backpacks, and more!

Archived