Premed 101 Forums

anyone involved in charities?

thehockeykid

I'm more of a sporadic donor myself, I'll randomly donate to a cause that catches my eye for whatever reason. E.g. I read this horrible article about some dudes here in Edmonton who locked their ferret in a cage and let it starve/die of thirst (eventually, a contractor happened upon it, but it died shortly after), and my boyfriend and I donated to the Ferret Society. Or last year in med we had a course that involved being acquainted with immigrant issues, including refugee children in schools, so I donated some of my money and also raised some funds through our class and preceptors - it was turned into an award for a deserving refugee student interested in a healthcare career. I got to attend their grad and meet the student, it was pretty sweet!

I'm currently involved with the Friends of Doctors without Borders/Medecins sans Frontiers (MSF) chapter on my campus. I'm personally really passionated about MSF's mission and being part of the chapter provides great opportunities to be involved with MSF, meet previous field workers, and help out at the head office (situated at Toronto which is conveniently close to campus).

But all in all, its most important to get involved with a charity you believe in and support - read up on their mission statements and past initiatives (which are all available on the internet). Then you can either get involved directly with the charity or alternatively you can see if there are any campus groups affiliated with them :)

You should pick things that are near and dear to you as a person - not because you think it looks good on a medical school application. If you didnt have aspirations of med school, would you be interested in helping charities - either from a financial or time perspective?

That said, here's where i put my time and money:

Big Brothers and Sisters

Food Banks

Shoot For A Cure

Coaching Football for underprivledge kids

I'm involved in these groups because they have or had actual meaning to me during my life.

Archived