Premed 101 Forums

Grade Conversion Info Released

Grade Conversion: These Grade Conversion Tables will be used to convert applicants’ letter grades to a percentage. Depending on the grading scheme of a particular institution attended, each letter grade will convert to the same percentage grade as per the appropriate table. These conversion scales were approved solely for use in academic evaluations of applications to the UBC MD Undergraduate Program. The resulting averages may differ from those calculated by your institution. Grades from schools using a percentage system will not be converted.

These tables may be used by applicants to convert grades from their transcripts to the percentages shown. This will assist in determining eligibility to apply to the MD Undergraduate Program. However, applicants should be aware that in the event of a discrepancy between their calculations and those of the Admissions Office, our decision is final.

Source: http://www.med.ubc.ca/education/md_ugrad/MD_Undergraduate_Admissions/Evaluation_Criteria.htm#GradeConversion

The conversion table

...I think it was nice of them to post this.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I apologize if this bothers some, but I'm stuck and need some help. How should I go about determining my average?

Example semester (not one of my own just wanted one that had different credits and letter grades):

Course 1 A+ 4 cred

Course 2 A- 1 cred

Course 3 B+ 3 cred

Course 4 A+ 1 cred

How would you find the average seeing that the mark breakdown for UBC is as follows on the website: http://www.med.ubc.ca/__shared/assets/Grade_Conversion_Table21093.pdf

Help would be greatly appreciated since I really don't know how to find the average.

I apologize if this bothers some, but I'm stuck and need some help. How should I go about determining my average?

Example semester (not one of my own just wanted one that had different credits and letter grades):

Course 1 A+ 4 cred

Course 2 A- 1 cred

Course 3 B+ 3 cred

Course 4 A+ 1 cred

How would you find the average seeing that the mark breakdown for UBC is as follows on the website: http://www.med.ubc.ca/__shared/assets/Grade_Conversion_Table21093.pdf

Help would be greatly appreciated since I really don't know how to find the average.

4 credits * 95% = 380%/4 credits

1 credit * 82% = 82%/1 credit

3 credits * 78% = 234%/3 credits

1 credit * 95% = 95%/1 credit

Overall = 791% / 9 credits = 87.88% per credit over a total of 9 credit hours.

4 credits * 95% = 380%/4 credits

1 credit * 82% = 82%/1 credit

3 credits * 78% = 234%/3 credits

1 credit * 95% = 95%/1 credit

Overall = 791% / 9 credits = 87.88% per credit over a total of 9 credit hours.

Ryan, how awesome are you?? :D

Thanks for the help!

As an SFU student, this is beyond amazing, and almost unfair. I am positive that SFU candidates who were not successful this year will have an amazing shot next year. I think UBC students are even at a disadvantage now! What a wonderful scale.

Interesting- this is actually really interesting because I applied "for the heck of it" about 4 yrs ago, not knowing anything about the conversion. I knew that:

-if they took the median of the letter grade, I would be eligible to apply

-if they took the bottom of each grade range, I would count as ineligible

I contacted them a few times to ask, and they told me that they would not release the conversion table. It bugged me because I had no idea if I would even be eligible. Of course, in the end they took the lower range, I was INeligible, and I got the rejection letter saying something along the lines of "if you had read our rules you would have seen that you need a minimum 75% to apply, and you did not meet that cutoff." Thanks, Mr. Transparent UBC!

LOLOL!

Anyways. I'm pleased, needless to say. It's almost like they read some of the threads over here... hmm....

An FYI- I will not be reading this site regularly for the next month. I may check my PMs. I also have (redacted) that I check once per week or so. Some members here have me on FB, if it is an emergency that you speak to me. :)

seems like they just took the median of each score bracket. i guess it's really good for people who score most of their marks on the lower end of the score bracket

I think that once you get into the A/A+ range (especially A+) the majority of people will score their marks in the lower end of the score bracket. You don't see many 95%+ grades in university (at least in my experience), so the majority of the time SFU students (as well as others) will get scaled up heavily.

One of the problems with the scale is that it lacks consistency. A person with a letter grade will always get the same score. However, a person with a percentage grade, can either get a numerical grade lower than that of a candidate with the same letter grade, or higher, contingent on the percent grade. The only way to go about maintaining consistency and fairness would be to convert all letter grades into a strict percentage.

So yes, def improvement by releasing the conversion table... however this should not be the end.

i wonder how many applicants are from ubc and how many are from the other institutions which use 4 point scale????

knowing this would make it possible to determine how much of a disadvantage the old conversion scheme was AND could help guage how much the new system helps!

Personally, I am very grateful for this. I did not do a cGPA minus worst year calculation before this, and I'm shocked at what my average is now with this conversion chart and with the new rule. I won't share what it is, but let's just say I jumped out of my chair when I saw the number haha. In a good way!

I have my fighting spirit back, guys. Let's do this :)

Personally, I am very grateful for this. I did not do a cGPA minus worst year calculation before this, and I'm shocked at what my average is now with this conversion chart and with the new rule. I won't share what it is, but let's just say I jumped out of my chair when I saw the number haha. In a good way!

I have my fighting spirit back, guys. Let's do this :)

Glad to hear it!

I think that once you get into the A/A+ range (especially A+) the majority of people will score their marks in the lower end of the score bracket. You don't see many 95%+ grades in university (at least in my experience), so the majority of the time SFU students (as well as others) will get scaled up heavily.

All my A+'s at SFU have been 95% or higher. All of my 90-93% marks turned out to be A's. It probably depends on what department you are in and what classes you take, but I don't think I've seen an A+ given out for having less than 95%. For an English class, I had the top mark in the class (~92%) and still only got an A (I even tried asking for an A+ :D ).

Archived