Premed 101 Forums

Do we have to release MCAT scores to med schools?

Guest Guest 100

Guest Guest 100

For med schools that are part of AMCAS, students have the option of writing the MCAT, looking at their scores, and then releasing the scores to the AMCAS schools.

For non-AMCAS schools (ie. Canadian schools), it appears that you must agree to release the test scores on the day of the test. It does not appear that it can be done afterwards. The 2001 Announcement says "Only by recording the code numbers on Answer Document 5 on test day will you officially release your scores to these schools."

Is it possible to not fill out any schools to release the scores to on test day, and then after I have gotten my scores back, submit an ASR request (Additional Score Report Request) to the AAMC and release the scores that way?

Guest Ian Wong

Hi Guest 100,

I moved your post to this forum because I think it's a more appropriate venue.

I actually did exactly what you are suggesting, although you have to remember that I did it back in the fall of 1998, and the policies may have changed since then. When I wrote the MCAT in the summer of 1998, I didn't fill in the school codes section that would have sent my scores to the Canadian universities. Then, once I received my scores in mid-October, and was satisfied with them, I printed off an ASR from the AAMC website, and faxed it into their office.

A possible word of warning is that the year I applied to med school, the schools I applied to (UBC, U of C, and U of Sask.) all had very late deadlines for application submissions. I think I had until December to send in all the forms.

What you should do is check the deadline for when the med schools are required to receive your MCAT scores. If this date is anywhere near mid-October, then you are cutting it very close because MCAT scores are typically released 60 days from the date of writing. Therefore, if you write in mid-August, the scores won't be back until mid-October. If you then have to send in an ASR, that delay might, and I emphasize might, screw you over if you are applying that year.

Therefore, it's best to check when the application deadlines are for the med schools you are interested in applying to.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest Akane200

I advise that you do release the scores on the day that you do write the MCAT if you write it in august.

If you are from Ontario, you should know that the OMSAS application deadline is ALWAYS one or two weeks before you receive your MCAT results for the summer sitting. It really puts you at a disadvantage because you are applying (ie paying) without even knowing your marks.

If you do not release your results on time, you are putting your application at risk. My friend tried to release his scores afterwards, but the school didn't receive the scores until late February. If you release your results on the day of, you can save yourself a lot of trouble later on.

Now, I know that people are afraid of not doing well on the MCAT, but I think that it shouldn't make a large difference if you release the scores to the school of your interest when you write. If you do well, then that's good. If you don't, the school will eventually know anyways if you had to taken the MCAT twice, etc. MCATs are not the most important part of admissions, but it reflects well on you if you did well.

Will med school know that you've written the MCAT twice, three times etc...How do they find out? Will they see both marks or only the better score?

Thanks

Archived