Premed 101 Forums

Leadership ideas?

Hi guys,

I'm kind of stuck with the Leadership component I've seen on some applications. I've never really been the president of anything and I'm not currently a member of any clubs. I've been a camp counsellor and I attended a leadership conference in high school, that's it.

I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions to gain more leadership experience in a fairly short amount of time. I plan on applying to schools this fall, so I don't have a ton of time to work my way up in an organization or anything like that.

Any input would be awesome.

Thanks!!

How about being a frosh leader? Or joining a mentorship program where you have to mentor students in years below you? Hope that helps:)

How common is it for premeds to be a mentor to a younger student? Do most people have this activity on their application?

Hi guys,

I'm kind of stuck with the Leadership component I've seen on some applications. I've never really been the president of anything and I'm not currently a member of any clubs. I've been a camp counsellor and I attended a leadership conference in high school, that's it.

I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions to gain more leadership experience in a fairly short amount of time. I plan on applying to schools this fall, so I don't have a ton of time to work my way up in an organization or anything like that.

Thanks!!

Are you in high school? If so, most universities have science or arts or geography camps that their undergrads run, and often have a "Leader in Training" program for high school students (so they can get their hours of community service done).

You could also look into peer tutoring, peer mentoring, academic advising, etc. Just keep looking around :)

Are you in high school? If so, most universities have science or arts or geography camps that their undergrads run, and often have a "Leader in Training" program for high school students (so they can get their hours of community service done).

You could also look into peer tutoring, peer mentoring, academic advising, etc. Just keep looking around :)

No, I just finished up my second year at the U of A.

I have done some tutoring in the past, but I didn't think that would count as leadership. I suppose it would, thanks. :)

How common is it for premeds to be a mentor to a younger student? Do most people have this activity on their application?

I would say it's pretty commonplace- but if you're looking for a quick leadership opportunity like the OP was saying, it's a decent idea. Leadership could also entail something like helping out a new summer student in your lab.

The UofA has the Campus Food Bank - you can be a team leader there after one semester and it is super fun! But only take on things if you are serious about the cause otherwise it will show.

The UofA has a ton of other great programs too for students in which you can show your leadership skills. Distress line, Sexual Assault Centre, Peer Health Education, ECOS, CAPS, Academic Centre, etc. the list really goes on and on their. You can also look on the SU website - there is a volunteering tab where you can scroll through tons of opportunities.

The UofA has the Campus Food Bank - you can be a team leader there after one semester and it is super fun! But only take on things if you are serious about the cause otherwise it will show.

The UofA has a ton of other great programs too for students in which you can show your leadership skills. Distress line, Sexual Assault Centre, Peer Health Education, ECOS, CAPS, Academic Centre, etc. the list really goes on and on their. You can also look on the SU website - there is a volunteering tab where you can scroll through tons of opportunities.

Thanks dashley! I will look into it :)

Hi guys,

Thanks!!

I'm a peer mentor at my school, and I think it's definitely a nice addition to a set of ECs. You really do take on the role of a "leader" but obviously in a more subtle way.

Archived