Premed 101 Forums

douchebags

thehockeykid

With jerks/DBs, if I have to work closely with that person then I'll try to figure that person out in what I can do that won't make it worse, but still possibly learn something or get something out of the interaction. If we don't need to work closely then I'll just ignore and hang out with other people.

sounds good to me

These aren't legitimate reasons to dislike someone.

i can dislike whoever I want and i find these totally valid reasons.

-toying with peoples emotions like if it is a game, there is a thing i belive in called decentcy and treating people proper

-i particullary care about other people being made fun of cause of some fat douchebag

-getting drunk and high all the time, is just a waste, it is like a temorary patch on reality just coping with an issue rather than dealing with it.

i cut most of them out of my life (but that was a long time coming). if i have to deal with them, like at my job, i only associate with them if i have to. i don't go out of my way to see them, talk to them, help them, etc.

this is what i would usually do i really dont have the paitence to deal with these people.

I know in undergrad, medical school, and generally in life there will be many people that you do not get along with. What do you do when you meet people that you dont like?

e.g The hockey teammate

-talking about how he is so good with the girls (as if it is a game)

-hating on the fact guys listen to taylor swift or other musicians that aren't his tastes

-talking about getting drunk or getting high all the time

I feel that with these people I have nothing in common with them and I just want to stay away from them. what are your thoughts?

your hockey teammate seems like a pretty average guy...

That's how most guys are, it's just that premeds/meds are spoiled by the amount of quality people in their programs.

your hockey teammate seems like a pretty average guy...

That's how most guys are, it's just that premeds/meds are spoiled by the amount of quality people in their programs.

Quality people in their programs? We're making the connection that because someone is in premed they are somehow a bit better than the average person or jock?

I can count pretty high to the number of Doctors I've met who are douchebags or the number of academics who were douchebags.

Being a douchebag isn't indicative of a particular program or background. It's indicative of being a douchebag to begin with lol

Quality people in their programs? We're making the connection that because someone is in premed they are somehow a bit better than the average person or jock?

I can count pretty high to the number of Doctors I've met who are douchebags or the number of academics who were douchebags.

Being a douchebag isn't indicative of a particular program or background. It's indicative of being a douchebag to begin with lol

I dunno, I feel there was less DBs in my undergrad than in high school.

Unfortunately from what I've heard from friends in medical school it seems like a lot of med students regress to high school douchebaggery....

And the strategy to dealing with them is just the same. Ignore. Ignore. Ignore.

I know in undergrad, medical school, and generally in life there will be many people that you do not get along with. What do you do when you meet people that you dont like?

e.g The hockey teammate

-talking about how he is so good with the girls (as if it is a game)

-hating on the fact guys listen to taylor swift or other musicians that aren't his tastes

-talking about getting drunk or getting high all the time

I feel that with these people I have nothing in common with them and I just want to stay away from them. what are your thoughts?

I didn't want to read all 5 pages of the forum to see if anyone pointed this out,

but in case nobody did:

it's pretty ironic how you "have nothing in common with" hockey teammates, yet your name is thehockeykid

had a good lol

Since I like to post irrelevant comments, I might as well contribute something:

Anyone who brags feels the need to do so because they have some insecurity that they need to cover up for. While this sounds cheesy, it's absolutely true!

These kinds of people will always be around, but as a defense mechanism for yourself, you should always take into account the fact that they are actually very sad people on the inside whether they admit it to themselves or not. Instead of being irritated by them, you should actually feel sorry for them.

Wow... making fun of douchebags is no better than when douchebags make fun of nerds. One big difference, is this supposed doucebag in the original post doesn't seem to have any ill intentions, while posters like Muse87 have many ill intentions when it comes to how to treat them. Not to mention doucebags will rarely claim to know everything, while some posters on this forum are extremely sophomoric.

I'll tell you guys something, as some other posters have mentioned, everything is merely perception, and while you might think someone else is a douchebag, I guarantee someone thinks the same of you.

I don't see what is wrong with someone who likes to drink and party in school? Or be involved with women consensually? Or make superficial jokes about culture? I have just described 90% of men. Some of you guys really need to get off your high horse. And it also has nothing to do it intelligence or academic aptitude.

If it really bothers you, which is fine, then just seperate yourself from the environment. If it's a professional environment, learn to work with them and keep it professional. You will not change them. And bringing up negative aspects of drinking in front of attractive girls who may have had an ex with a drinking problem to humiliate him? Do you think this is normal or effective? It sounds somewhat crazy to me.

Anyways, just be confident and do you. If you are really *that* bothered by anothers actions in this context, perhaps you have the self esteem issue. We're not talking about someone who is a racist or a homophobe for crying out loud. It's a guy who likes to party and makes jokes. I like Taylor Swift - Love Story all the same, catchy tune, but I will grill a buddy of mine about it. It's all in good fun. Just lighten up....

Wow... making fun of douchebags is no better than when douchebags make fun of nerds. One big difference, is this supposed doucebag in the original post doesn't seem to have any ill intentions, while posters like Muse87 have many ill intentions when it comes to how to treat them. Not to mention doucebags will rarely claim to know everything, while some posters on this forum are extremely sophomoric.

I'll tell you guys something, as some other posters have mentioned, everything is merely perception, and while you might think someone else is a douchebag, I guarantee someone thinks the same of you.

I don't see what is wrong with someone who likes to drink and party in school? Or be involved with women consensually? Or make superficial jokes about culture? I have just described 90% of men. Some of you guys really need to get off your high horse. And it also has nothing to do it intelligence or academic aptitude.

If it really bothers you, which is fine, then just seperate yourself from the environment. If it's a professional environment, learn to work with them and keep it professional. You will not change them. And bringing up negative aspects of drinking in front of attractive girls who may have had an ex with a drinking problem to humiliate him? Do you think this is normal or effective? It sounds somewhat crazy to me.

Anyways, just be confident and do you. If you are really *that* bothered by anothers actions in this context, perhaps you have the self esteem issue. We're not talking about someone who is a racist or a homophobe for crying out loud. It's a guy who likes to party and makes jokes. I like Taylor Swift - Love Story all the same, catchy tune, but I will grill a buddy of mine about it. It's all in good fun. Just lighten up....

+1000.

Now THIS is the type of person I wanna be friends with.

Wow what a douchebag...

Just kidding! :rolleyes:

i never said the guy offended me, i save my ill intentions for people who have ill intentions or who are obnoxious, just because i describe a hypothetical behaviour doesn't insinuate that i feel that way towards that type of person, in fact, im uber nice to 99 percent of people i meet, often nice to a fault. i've just seen such horrible things in my life that i may over-emphasize the need for people to be acquainted with subversive and passive ways of being aggressive towards others, if i described the contexts in which i'd behaved that way and described the specific individuals who i acted that way towards you'd be surprised i go about being assertive in such a passive way... but frankly, the sort of people i interact with in that nature is beyond the scope of what i'd like to discuss on an internet chat website, as their behaviour would be too inappropriate to describe, while maintaining sensitivity people who may be offended by the person i'm responding too's actions (encouraging a girl known to engage in self harm behaviour due to her anorexia to lose weight etc., when I've had a friend who went through 8 years of anorexic before committing suicide, and my life's full of stories like that that's just the very surface level)

What in the world are you talking about? Encouraging someone to self-harm? Perhaps it's the lack of sleep after psych call, but you seem to have a lot of grandiose explanations for elevating your "experience" in order to justify questionable comments.

Archived