Premed 101 Forums

Social Science credit needed - good courses?

Hi everyone! I was hoping for some feedback from people that have taken social courses whether they be history, psych, sociology etc.

I really only need 0.5 credits because I think I've already decided on Social Psych for second semester. Also, I would preferably like an easier or bird course if possible, just something to raise my average.

Thanks for your time!

I really liked a psych course called Exceptional Children: Behavioural Disorders...I think if you keep up with the readings, it's easy to do well in the course :)

However, stay away from Psychogical Aspects of Life Skills!

I also suggest finding a course that appeals to you... I know too many people who took "bird courses" and they ended up doing more poorly than they did in their harder science courses (I had this experience with the Life Skills course).

I really liked a psych course called Exceptional Children: Behavioural Disorders...I think if you keep up with the readings, it's easy to do well in the course :)

However, stay away from Psychogical Aspects of Life Skills!

I also suggest finding a course that appeals to you... I know too many people who took "bird courses" and they ended up doing more poorly than they did in their harder science courses (I had this experience with the Life Skills course).

Thanks for the quick reply!

I was looking at Behavioral Disorders actually but they only have it as an online course with Segal for first semester so I wasn't sure if that would vary a lot from the in class. Did you take it online or in class?

And I wouldn't take a course that doesn't interest me at all. I'm just hoping that there will be one that is both interesting and easy haha.

Oh, they aren't offering it in-class? I took it in 3rd year (so last year) in second semester with Scott Wier and he was quite good.

If you're already taking Social Psych, I'd suggest looking into another department. I took a Geography course, the Environment, Economy and Society...it was a very good class with great debate. Unfortunately, the prof made the final pretty hard (lots of short answers and one big essay) even though it was a non-Honours course. So I guess stay away from that one too ;)

Oh, they aren't offering it in-class? I took it in 3rd year (so last year) in second semester with Scott Wier and he was quite good.

If you're already taking Social Psych, I'd suggest looking into another department. I took a Geography course, the Environment, Economy and Society...it was a very good class with great debate. Unfortunately, the prof made the final pretty hard (lots of short answers and one big essay) even though it was a non-Honours course. So I guess stay away from that one too ;)

No they do, it's just only in second semester and I was hoping for a first semester course.

I took 1st year psychology and did...well. It was interesting but I felt there was too much (WAY too much) memorizing. I mean, we had to know these random small things found in the text that weren't even covered during lectures. Then again, maybe it's just the course I took.

One of friends took political science and all he had to do was write 3-4 papers for that course. Heard it was pretty easy. Might be a good option if you're into politics and likes writing essays.

I would suggest Astronomy- Search for Life in the Universe. You learn about the origin of different matter in the universe, energy, and therefore what subsequent life could arise (in places other than Earth), and how life did arise on Earth amongst other neat facts.

It's super easy if you have a biology background (and in general lol), and its quite interesting...a win win situation :D

sorry scratch that you wanted a SOCIAL SCIENCE credit, not another science one!!!

hrmmm...if you have a music background, I'd definitely suggest Introduction to Music Theory...there are also a lot of fun ones I've heard of, but haven't taken in the music department...there's one about rock and roll, another one about musicals, and they are all entry level (100 level, non-honours) classes.

Apparently the introductory classics courses are also very easy and very interesting!

Mhmm, that's what I found too with the two psych courses I took: random bits of knowledge tested from the textbooks. It didn't help either that the books were so boring that I fell asleep each time I tried to read them (Weldon 5th floor at least on two different occasions :rolleyes:

I also think it's good to take an essay course/credit... Too many of my classmates waited till fourth year to take their 2nd essay and/or English course and ended up finding it too difficult. I obviously don't know what stream you're in, what your interests are and how comfortable you are with essays, but I found that taking more open-ended courses, more subjective ones (like English or poli Sci) with essays allows you to develop more critical thinking skills that you don't really get to till 4th year sciences (again, I'm only assuming you're in bio or med Sci)

sorry scratch that you wanted a SOCIAL SCIENCE credit, not another science one!!!

hrmmm...if you have a music background, I'd definitely suggest Introduction to Music Theory...there are also a lot of fun ones I've heard of, but haven't taken in the music department...there's one about rock and roll, another one about musicals, and they are all entry level (100 level, non-honours) classes.

Apparently the introductory classics courses are also very easy and very interesting!

Hmm, I think the music courses count as Arts and Humanities though, not Social Sci... Same with the Classics course.

Hmm, I think the music courses count as Arts and Humanities though, not Social Sci... Same with the Classics course.

I think with faculties like MIT and Music you can mix and match with the soc. sci...did my degree at western :) I actually only had a 0.5 soc sci and took some MIT and a few arts credits. at least you could do that when I did my degree.

isix did you take life skills with the crazy guy who annunciated every third or fourth word? (forgot his name)

If we're talking about the same class I would say it actually IS a bird course except that you need to take very detailed notes out of the textbook or you will get absolutely slammed on the exams. Pre-med failed the first midterm but after i realized to just make super detailed notes i killed the next 2 with minimal studying after making the notes.

Its basically rote memorization with no need to think laterally.

If you've ever taken an economics course i found econ 2152 with McKean to be super easy as well.

I didn't know that you could mix and match, jolly rancher! I also just finished my degree in Med Sci at UWO... I'd have totally done some cool courses from MIT or Music. I even wanted to take a classics for a requirement for my minor, but didn't end up doing it since Shakespearean Drama overlapped with the Classics course :(

isix did you take life skills with the crazy guy who annunciated every third or fourth word? (forgot his name)

If we're talking about the same class I would say it actually IS a bird course except that you need to take very detailed notes out of the textbook or you will get absolutely slammed on the exams. Pre-med failed the first midterm but after i realized to just make super detailed notes i killed the next 2 with minimal studying after making the notes.

Its basically rote memorization with no need to think laterally.

If you've ever taken an economics course i found econ 2152 with McKean to be super easy as well.

YES! OMIGOD, he totally had that nasal, enunciated voice. Pointy nose, kinda skinny guy? and yeah, it was all about the textbook. I also only realized that after the midterm...did better in the second half, but still managed to do better in Orgo Chem I than in that course :o

Yeah music and classics are definitely arts courses. So while interesting I really need to fill up my Category A credit to graduate.

As for essay courses, I`m in the Honours Spec Physiology program so I`m planning to do my thesis in 4th year which will cover all my essay credits (along with 2290 from 2nd year).

Has anyone taken addictive behaviours 2021a? It`s technically at Kings.

Archived