Premed 101 Forums

starting work out

donnadee

Gaining or losing is all about diet. The number of people who claim to eat right yet dont change is mind boggling and that is generally because their diet is crap, aren't consistent or like to snack.

To simply lose weight (big difference losong weigjt vs losing fat) eat less than you require and exercise more but remember dieting strateies to gain or lose must evolve as you move along whether that be calorie reduction, cardio increases or addition of "fat burners".

Additionally go back to your old ways and you'll look like your old self. This is a lifestyle and a marathon, not a sprint.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gaining or losing is all about diet. The number of people who claim to eat right yet dont change is mind boggling and that is generally because their diet is crap, aren't consistent or like to snack.

To simply lose weight (big difference losong weigjt vs losing fat) eat less than you require and exercise more but remember dieting strateies to gain or lose must evolve as you move along whether that be calorie reduction, cardio increases or addition of "fat burners".

Additionally go back to your old ways and you'll look like your old self. This is a lifestyle and a marathon, not a sprint.

Yeah I'm trying to lose fat. I've never really been an unhealthy eater, but I do like big portions so I'm trying to cut down. Has anyone (specifically females) ever done P90X? How did you find it?

Yeah I'm trying to lose fat. I've never really been an unhealthy eater, but I do like big portions so I'm trying to cut down. Has anyone (specifically females) ever done P90X? How did you find it?

Never done P90X, but have heard only good things about it. You need the time and motivation, though (what else is new? That's what any lifestyle change is about). It is also an expensive program but you can buy it on ebay for cheaper, or so I've heard.

I also believe it is easy to lose weight via diet. Did that 8 years ago, lost 60+ lbs via diet alone (low carb). Eating crap makes me feel like crap and I have found this was a relatively easy lifestyle change to make. I was working out regularly with a friend with a Kin degree who gave me a program to follow, but now I live 3000km from her and don't have access to the materials that I used to. i haven't gained much, just lost muscle mass and the fat cells have bloated again. I am looking variety, hence my post for suggestions. Thanks!

P90X is an interesting plan.

You basically workout 6 days a week for 90 days.

For women the meal plan can get a little restrictive, but if you are willing to try it out I'd suggest you download the torrents of the meal plan/workout plan and dvd's rather than spend the 130 bones to buy it outright.

The biggest issue my fiance had with it was the huge amount of upper body strength that was required from the get go. Yes, you are scaling the workouts, but these aren't easy workouts to begin with.

I enjoyed them, but I would say that if you eat healthy and are active 6 days out of the week you'll lose weight no matter what you do.

Also, if you live in an apartment I wouldn't recommend P90X as it is a lot of jumping around.

You can also try crossfit if you are looking for something that isn't cookie cutter- you do a different workout everyday... but it's pretty intense and isn't for everybody.

To those saying they tried jogging but it was too hard or they couldn't do it... Try alternating jog and walk at first. It can even be more walking than running in the beginning and say start at around 30 minutes. Then you can work on cutting down the walking, and eventually increase the length. A year ago I couldn't run more than 10 minutes straight even though I could swim for hours on end and was in very good shape. I've been running more since then because of surgeries (so almost no swimming) and I'm up to about an hour now, possibly more if I go slower.

Something I really enjoy too is pilates classes. Or yoga depending on your preference. I prefer pilates because it isn't poses you hold, but the one time I did hot yoga it was pretty fun too. That gives you a full body workout with emphasis on breathing and the core. When school starts I think I'm registering in the pilates class at uni.

To those saying they tried jogging but it was too hard or they couldn't do it... Try alternating jog and walk at first. It can even be more walking than running in the beginning and say start at around 30 minutes. Then you can work on cutting down the walking, and eventually increase the length. A year ago I couldn't run more than 10 minutes straight even though I could swim for hours on end and was in very good shape. I've been running more since then because of surgeries (so almost no swimming) and I'm up to about an hour now, possibly more if I go slower.

Something I really enjoy too is pilates classes. Or yoga depending on your preference. I prefer pilates because it isn't poses you hold, but the one time I did hot yoga it was pretty fun too. That gives you a full body workout with emphasis on breathing and the core. When school starts I think I'm registering in the pilates class at uni.

Both good suggestions. I love pilates. :) I took a ball-pilates workshop once, so I could start incorporating some pilates moves into my stability ball class. Such a good workout for the core.

Starting running slowly is the way to go. The couch to 5K program is one I recommend for beginners: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I also believe it is easy to lose weight via diet. Did that 8 years ago, lost 60+ lbs via diet alone (low carb). Eating crap makes me feel like crap and I have found this was a relatively easy lifestyle change to make. I was working out regularly with a friend with a Kin degree who gave me a program to follow, but now I live 3000km from her and don't have access to the materials that I used to. i haven't gained much, just lost muscle mass and the fat cells have bloated again. I am looking variety, hence my post for suggestions. Thanks!

Here's a nice program from ACE fitness: At home with no equipment workout:

http://www.acefitness.org/workouts/13/ (be sure to click the tabs to get the warmup, workout and cooldown) ACE is a very reputable organization and they give tons of tips for each of the exercises when you click on them.

ACE has more workouts here if you want to find something else that might suit you: http://www.acefitness.org/workouts/default.aspx Their kick-start guide and 30-minute lunchtime workouts are great.

Both good suggestions. I love pilates. :) I took a ball-pilates workshop once, so I could start incorporating some pilates moves into my stability ball class. Such a good workout for the core.

Starting running slowly is the way to go. The couch to 5K program is one I recommend for beginners: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Ball-pilates?? Oh my you have me interested, maybe I need to look around!! Actually I think I've done it once with my group at the pool hehe. You should be closer, I'd take your class ;) I have a stability ball in my apartment along with a bosu ball I "stole" from my parents basement as my mom bought it but isn't using it and a foam roller. I just need to get out of my free-for-all mode and set a sort of schedule when I exercise with them... Some years ago I was having fun doing sets of squats on the ball with the skiers.

Ball-pilates?? Oh my you have me interested, maybe I need to look around!! Actually I think I've done it once with my group at the pool hehe. You should be closer, I'd take your class ;) I have a stability ball in my apartment along with a bosu ball I "stole" from my parents basement as my mom bought it but isn't using it and a foam roller. I just need to get out of my free-for-all mode and set a sort of schedule when I exercise with them... Some years ago I was having fun doing sets of squats on the ball with the skiers.

Ball pilates is awesome. :) Here are some of the DVDs that Stott has put out for pilates with the stability ball: http://store.stottpilates.com/store/C-259/Stability-Ball-Series.aspx

The workshop I took was with exercises from the stability ball challenge DVD.

I'm hoping to take some more master classes or workshops in pilates at the huge CanFitPro fitness conference in Toronto in August. I'm also hoping to do my level II resist-a-ball certification (I currently have level I) if they still have spots left in the course (online registration is being a pain.)

Ball pilates is awesome. :) Here are some of the DVDs that Stott has put out for pilates with the stability ball: http://store.stottpilates.com/store/C-259/Stability-Ball-Series.aspx

The workshop I took was with exercises from the stability ball challenge DVD.

I'm hoping to take some more master classes or workshops in pilates at the huge CanFitPro fitness conference in Toronto in August. I'm also hoping to do my level II resist-a-ball certification (I currently have level I) if they still have spots left in the course (online registration is being a pain.)

Nice!! Those DVDs look really cool :)

if you want to bulk up, increase your calorie intake, protein intake should be 1g protein per lb body weight. ie. you weigh 200lbs, so 200g protein intake per day. 3-5 sets, 6-8 reps for maximum growth in muscle size, 10-15 is more for toning, 3-5 is for power. do cardio AFTER weight sessions if you choose to do cardio at all. take a multi-vitamin, omega 3s, protein. then when you hit plateaus in strength, you can look into creatine monohydrate.

yeah totally agree, as someone who lost 65 pounds earlier in life, there was no complex theories or anything i followed it, avoid fried foods, high fat foots, whole grains, smaller meals, leaner meats or fish.

It totally is possible to get quite strong without being bulky, at my peak I could do the full stack on most of the leg machines, whereas big bulky guys were doing 1-2/-2/3 stacks. I also focussed tremendously on core exercises, especially non machine exercises, that was my no excuse thing, i always devoted a lot of time to core, because as strong as your biceps, triceps, quads, calves etc. are a lot of the supporting strength comes from your abs obliques, lower and upper back.

You can also bring strength training into running to make it doubly hard since you have to balance breathing technique with muscle training with cardio, one of my favourite exercises was to do extremely steep hills with a fully erect posture. If you're not completely focussed on your back, lower abs, quads and gluts its impossible to do 10-20 repetitions of this fully erect (not hunched over) at a fast pace without working your muscles, I 'd often get bags and put 15 pound weights in them hang them on my hands and hold my arms out in a t motion. That exercise was probably the toughest one I did since it required pure mental focus, focussed breathing and required strength in everything, and I just kind of made it up on the fly. Unless your seriously competing for a sport (like maybe you were in swimming) my philosophy is always if you have fun doing what you're doing you'll remain persistent with it (which, from being heavy before I knew was important).

Anyhoo... off for a run in a bit ;) (not kidding, lol, i'm one of those creepy people you see running at midnight and are like wtf, and when I wake up, gotta avoid the sun :()

Going along with what you said, I really don't think anyone starting (we're not talking being a powerlifter here!) doesn't need to concern themselves with taking any supplements, or changing their diets unless it's not healthy to start with. Just be logical.

It's possible to gain a lot of strength and definition without bulking up too. You run, I was in the water 25+ hours a week on top of weights. Right before my last surgery I was deadlifting around 110kg and pulling around 180lbs which is pretty good for a swimmer. I honestly haven't done any bench pressing with a bar in over 2 years, just not needed for me and bad for my repaired shoulders.

I've always had a strict schedule training with a group, but once that's over I'm not stressing it out anymore. I've never counted calories or had a particular diet either, just be conscious of putting enough fuel in my body for my needs.

Beginning = taking it easy, finding what you like doing and doing it correctly, sticking to the bases. Just have a healthy lifestyle :)

Hehe I love running in the middle of the night, or in torrential rain! I agree that unless you're competing (and yes I was, might still do when rehabbed), fun is the most important factor. I regularly do stairs too, can vary the patterns and intensity and gives you an amazing workout. Obviously better if you can find some outdoor path rather than inside!

to the OP, if you want to get bigger (more muscle) do not run.

If someone wants to lose weight, then running is acceptable but note you'll be end up burning muscle for fuel instead of fat.

Now if you like to run but don't want to burn up muscle then sprinting is a good alternative to achieve a bit of both.

thanks a lot for all the replies...they're very helpful..

i think though, i should have mentioned my goals clearly...

the thing is, im good on the weight part..(i.e. i do not need to lose fat)...however, what i do need is improved body tone and a bit of bulking up (i.e. muscle mass)...my problem is that although my overall weight is average for my age and height, i have a bit of fat on the stomach that im hoping to convert to muscle...also, i need an exercise to develop more muscle on my arms and legs as they look weak! if i can achieve this together with increased stamina/strength, that will be a plus

from the previous posts, i have gathered that it would be worth it to get a trainer for the first couple of days at the gym...but are trainers open to understanding your objectives and then provide you with a customized work out or do they just tell you the proper way of doing the exercise/weight lift?

also taking into consideration that i do not look lean/thin..wouldn't taking protein supplements after gym make it difficult to maintain weight? i do not want to end up gaining more weight but rather keep my current weight while converting my existing fat to muscle..

thanks and hopefully this post did not sound weird!

the thing is, im good on the weight part..(i.e. i do not need to lose fat)...however, what i do need is improved body tone and a bit of bulking up (i.e. muscle mass)...my problem is that although my overall weight is average for my age and height, i have a bit of fat on the stomach that im hoping to convert to muscle...also, i need an exercise to develop more muscle on my arms and legs as they look weak! if i can achieve this together with increased stamina/strength, that will be a plus

from the previous posts, i have gathered that it would be worth it to get a trainer for the first couple of days at the gym...but are trainers open to understanding your objectives and then provide you with a customized work out or do they just tell you the proper way of doing the exercise/weight lift?

also taking into consideration that i do not look lean/thin..wouldn't taking protein supplements after gym make it difficult to maintain weight? i do not want to end up gaining more weight but rather keep my current weight while converting my existing fat to muscle..

there is no such thing as toning and you can't convert fat to muscle.

What you can do is either build muscle or lose fat.

I'm sure a pt will be happy to help you with that.

protein shakes should not make you gain fat unless your diet is already providing a caloric excess.

So it I's possible to burn fat and gain muscle simultaneously or should I focus on one than the other? I don't have a lot of fat on me but I want to get cut lol.

I think the general consensus is that if you're only beginning to lift, or if you have a considerable amount of body fat, you may indeed gain muscle and lose fat.

My replies are in bold below. Note that I'm not a registered dietitian or other health professional, just a certified group fitness trainer, personal trainer and resist-a-ball trainer.

You can't convert fat to muscle. You can lose fat and gain muscle, but one doesn't become the other. It is also impossible to spot reduce. When you lose fat, you lose it from whatever spots you have fat in excess or whatever spots your body is genetically programmed to lose fat from first. It also depends on gender (ie. women tend to gain fat in their buttocks/thighs more easily, men in their bellies). Some people never get a flat stomach, even at very low body fat percentages, because that's just the way they are built. You can certainly work to gain strength in your core, by working your abs and lower back, but it won't convert the fat there to muscle; that just doesn't happen.

Most trainers will work with you to develop a program based on your goals. They will generally show you the correct way to do various exercises, but also develop a realistic workout programme for you, based on your weaknesses, your strengths and your goals.

Again, you can't convert fat to muscle. To lose fat, you need to burn more calories than you take in, either by increasing the amount of calories you burn (through exercise or building muscle), by decreasing your intake (ie. consuming fewer calories when you eat), or a combination of the two. To gain muscle, you need to work those muscles, and you generally need a slight calorie surplus. But for someone just starting out, I wouldn't worry about protein supplements. I would just eat healthy and start an exercise routine. Most people, unless they are lifting seriously, or are engaging in competitive sports, don't need to worry about supplements. For the average individual, a glass of chocolate milk or soy beverage is just as good as a protein supplement, post-workout. It has everything you want to replenish after working out: carbohydrates, protein, and water. Milk or soy milk are a heck of a lot cheaper than protein supplements too!

If someone wants to lose weight, then running is acceptable but note you'll be end up burning muscle for fuel instead of fat.

You're kidding, right? Maybe for someone who is a serious competitive bodybuilder, this might be true, but it's not true in general. I have most certainly been able to put on muscle, lose weight, and train for a marathon, all at the same time! When I was training for my first marathon, I lost about 10 lbs total, gained a significant amount of muscle in my legs, and my waist size went down.

So I was running a ton, lost weight, and gained muscle. I was definitely not burning muscle (not to any significant extent). Proper diet and maintaining my strength training while I was marathon training ensured that I was not burning a significant amount of muscle (I daresay some protein ended up being burned, but the bulk of the calories burned came from fat and carbohydrates). It is SO much easier for the body to burn fat or carbohydrates. Protein is only burned as a last resort.

What was your hydostatic bodyfat before and after you started your training?

If running preserved muscle every competitive bodybuilder would run but they dont and their diet is spot on (at least the ones who are serious) whether that be those who follow keto, low carb or a more balanced approach (protein is always kept high).

Muscle loss is going to happen on any diet, and those who claim to gain muscle while in a caloric deficit while burning excessive calories through exercise are generally just kidding themselves.

As i said, if running didnt burn muscle and in fact allowed a person to gain muscle then every bodybuilder would be running because the goal in bodybuilding is to come in as big and lean as possible.

Btw, i look much bigger when my bodyfat is significantly lower.

You lost weight and gained muscle in your legs you say? What about your upperbody? Did you gain muscle there too? Maybe you lost muscle?

And yup, when i diet i will have lost muscle by the end of my 16-20 week prep and thats while doing LISS cardio on a treadmill or on the stepmill. So if boring cardio at a moderate pace makes me burn up muscle during the dieting process how well do you think my muscles will fair with running?

We're both making statements based on our experiences and that of those we've worked with which is fine in ideal settings and conditions. The problem is we're not the ideal and with enough calories (and proper macro balance) it is likely possible that you can preserve muscle with running but the people here (and in general) asking questions arent the ideal (yet) so saying i am wrong and you are rignt or vice versa wont work for that person (at this time) because they arent ready for it yet. I work on generalities for the average person because they arent in a position yet to take advantage of advanced topics like nutrition for extensive training styles.

You're kidding, right? Maybe for someone who is a serious competitive bodybuilder, this might be true, but it's not true in general. I have most certainly been able to put on muscle, lose weight, and train for a marathon, all at the same time! When I was training for my first marathon, I lost about 10 lbs total, gained a significant amount of muscle in my legs, and my waist size went down.

So I was running a ton, lost weight, and gained muscle. I was definitely not burning muscle (not to any significant extent). Proper diet and maintaining my strength training while I was marathon training ensured that I was not burning a significant amount of muscle (I daresay some protein ended up being burned, but the bulk of the calories burned came from fat and carbohydrates). It is SO much easier for the body to burn fat or carbohydrates. Protein is only burned as a last resort.

This is physiologically impossible.

I've seen it happen. There's something about the stimulus to a new Individual that somehow allows it to happen.

In general though, its virtually impossible to lose and gain at the same time unless over an extended period of time, say a couple years.

But i'd rather see someone lean out and then build up if that's their goal.

I've seen it happen. There's something about the stimulus to a new Individual that somehow allows it to happen.

In general though, its virtually impossible to lose and gain at the same time unless over an extended period of time, say a couple years.

But i'd rather see someone lean out and then build up if that's their goal.

Trust me, it is impossible to simultaneously GAIN muscle and LOSE fat. This is bodybuilding 101, folks.

Archived