Premed 101 Forums

Sports Medicine as a CCFP

From what I understand Sports Medicine is typically done through a fellowship after your initial residency.

The fellowships are either 1 or 2 years and can lead to a masters degree as well (or require them).

From the research I've done it looks like the most common path to Sports Medicine fellowships is through the family medicine residency or ortho.

Hope that info is correct and helps you. It's something that I am considering, even though I'm just starting the med school journey.

In addition to the above, most (if not all) sports medicine physicians are certified with a Diploma through CASM - the Canadian Academy of Sports Medicine.

In addition to Family Med & Ortho, Physiatrists do a lot of sports medicine as well. Those are the three most prominent specialties I know of that can do sports.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just starting family medicine residency so I know a little bit about this.

Yes there are 2+1 sports med programs across the country. Its a one year program after family medicine residency for special training in Sports Med. I know they have one at Calgary. Each school would post this on their website. The application process is not through Carms. I would say that if you are interested in doing that, as long as you are a decent candidate, there should no trouble at all getting a spot.

Archived