Premed 101 Forums

Undergrad Courseload

Really depends on your program.

Some students in my program were taking 36+ each year, and some years had 40 credits in a single year.

Just take a full course load each year to keep your options open for some eastern schools.

if we take more than 5 courses per semester or take extra courses in summer, would it help in any way when we apply to med school?

I heard it doesn't help for UofT Medical school, and most of the Ontario ones, but for Mcmaster I can see how it can help if you did a bad first year, by seriously overloading on the other courses you make up your average in similar time, but with more then 100% effort!

At YorkU though, the max # of credits for science studnets is 33 credits ( or 11 half courses) per September to April session.

• 3 weeks later...
I heard it doesn't help for UofT Medical school, and most of the Ontario ones, but for Mcmaster I can see how it can help if you did a bad first year, by seriously overloading on the other courses you make up your average in similar time, but with more then 100% effort!

At YorkU though, the max # of credits for science studnets is 33 credits ( or 11 half courses) per September to April session.

You can petition to do more than 33 credits/year at YorkU.

how did you get 34 credits? i mean each full year course is worth 3 credits...how did u get extra 1 credit? The question might seem dumb coz i m in grade 12 :)

A course can be worth 1, 2, 3, 4 or even more credits, that's why he probably has 34 credits in his year.

10 half courses or the equivalent 5 full credits in each of 4 years. Only took courses corresponding to the year level, so all 400 level courses in 4th year.

so if I take first or second yr courses in fourth year, does that affect negatively if I dont overload ( dont take more than 5 full credits)?

so if I take first or second yr courses in fourth year, does that affect negatively if I dont overload ( dont take more than 5 full credits)?

No it doesn't - that is probably the one of the most asked questions on the forum. Something like 1.0 credits of first/second year courses won't impact you at all - the hard limit for Western in particular is 3.0 senior year courses out of 5.0.

If you are following a typical program at pretty much every school it works out just fine - most people have to take mostly 3rd or 4th year courses in their last year just to graduate.

Archived