Premed 101 Forums

Rate my NAQ please

1. BC Children's Hospital - Child Life Volunteer - 5 years (400+ hours) - Also did Thrift store and Clowns tour volunteer in those 5 years

2. St. Joseph's Hospital - ECU Volunteer - 2 years (~200 hours)

Also did Gift Shop for a year.

3. Ronald McDonald House - 2.5 years - ( 200 hours)

4. Science World - 2 years (110 hours)

5. JAC Auxillary at BC Children's Hospital - Just started in Jan so 20 hrs.

6. Red Cross - First Contact Program - 1 year (30-50 hrs)

- Also did Detention monitoring and screening messages from Detainees.

7. Imagine UBC - MUG Leader - Year 2009

8. Weekend to End Breast Cancer - 10 hrs

9. St. Paul's Hospital - HIV/AIDS Unit and Medicine Unit together - 15 hrs (just started in Jan)

10.Museum of Anthropology - Memories Exhibition - 50 hours

Work: Retail - 3 years - 1300 hrs

Tim Horton's - 4 months - (150-200 hrs)

It's really hard to estimate, a lot of it, I think, comes down to how you write out your experiences and relate them to the criteria they look for (i.e., leadership, equity, etc.). I got around 19 on my NAQ and I had similar a amount of volunteering as you, however my work + leadership experience was much more. If I had to guess, I'd say you'd be around 12-13.

1. BC Children's Hospital - Child Life Volunteer - 5 years (400+ hours) - Also did Thrift store and Clowns tour volunteer in those 5 years

9. St. Paul's Hospital - HIV/AIDS Unit and Medicine Unit together - 15 hrs (just started in Jan)

I would also say about ~11-12. My first application scored a 17 and my second scored a 20, so I have a good idea of what it takes to get an above average NAQ score.

Not sure what year you are in, but don't be discouraged if you get a rejection this cycle. Many of the items you have are great NAQ points, but the amount of committed hours is fairly low. Another solid year to increase those hours combined with some more leadership activities would probably get you about a ~16.

If you can word them well, then you can get up to~18 or 19.

I had very little experience but ended up with a 15.

do yu guys think they still (or ever) give points for re-applying?

Hmm... I always reasoned that they do b/c I know of ppl (myself included) who didn't get in one year and got in the next year with the exact same application (for me-exact same interview skills as well).

Then again, your ranking could be dependent on the cohort that applies with you.

I think 11-13 seems reasonable. Lots of great hospital volunteer and health specific volunteer experience. Very little non-health experience working with other populations. If you're looking for other things to do, my advice is always to go outside your comfort zone, work with new age groups/cultures/populations (locally, I think you get more bang for your buck), and try to get experience in non-health related areas. Make sure you enjoy what you do, and are growing as part of it.

As for the points for re-applying, I doubt they do this as there are always examples of people who get waitlisted multiple times and are very close. When they discuss applications in committee post-interview I doubt the forms even state how many times you've applied. For a variety of reasons I don't think it would be fair or in their best interest to do this.

I think it will be much tougher this year with the lower character limit.

Hence I think long term commitment will play a huge role this year because it's harder to standout with a laundry list of short ECs with lower character limit for description. In the past, we all say that high level of achievement may not be needed for acceptance, but I think this year it'll be quite different.

I agree that how you word it can boost your score. I read somewhere that 3+ years commitment sets you in the golden range for that particular section in terms of time.

Wouldn't mind some feedback as well...I feel like I don't have enough activities, but I'm not sure how to improve.

1.psych hospital volunteer- ~150 hours since fall 2009, unique position w/ lots of patient contact

2.clinical RA- 5/hrs or more a week since fall 2009, currently doing an individual project and should have a couple pubs in the next year- none submitted as of yet, also have an upcoming presentation

3.honours thesis- presented at an undergrad conference and writing up for submission

4.RA- 5-10 hrs/week, 2009-2010 school year, pretty menial tasks

5.clinical RA- 5 hrs/week, summer 2010

6. RA- 5 hrs/week, 2010-2011 school year

7.peer mentor- ~1 hr/week, since fall 2009

8. peer advisor- ~5 hours/week, 2010-2011 school year, lots of leadership in this one, e.g. creating and running workshops

9.server- 30 hrs/week, summer 2010

10.retail, 15 hrs/week, 2007

11.best buddies (mentoring a mentally challenged person)- 1 hr/week, 2009-2010 school year...didn't like this one

12.deans list, entrance scholarship

I think that's it...I'm going to be shadowing a few doctors over the next several months, but obviously I can't include that on my UBC app.

I'd say you'll probably be in the 12-14 range. Depends upon how you word it.

Good luck.

Wow, i would say much higher than 12-14 depending on how you write it. I got 12 the first year I applied and had only about 5 things with nothing really over 50 hours.. So I'd say you are good. Although, in the long run, I really am doubtful on how much NAQ really plays in the process. Just because someone has a lot of volunteer hours/work experience doesn't mean they have good non academic qualities. I think this is mostly determined by the interview. But a good NAQ definitely can help you get the interview, just keep doing what your doing and don't stress about it too much.

Wow, i would say much higher than 12-14 depending on how you write it. I got 12 the first year I applied and had only about 5 things with nothing really over 50 hours.. So I'd say you are good. Although, in the long run, I really am doubtful on how much NAQ really plays in the process. Just because someone has a lot of volunteer hours/work experience doesn't mean they have good non academic qualities. I think this is mostly determined by the interview. But a good NAQ definitely can help you get the interview, just keep doing what your doing and don't stress about it too much.

I dunno... just because he's got 12 things doesn't mean that he will get a high NAQ.

Basically 50% of them are made up of RA or part time work.

Also, a lot of the stuff is shortish term. Consider the fact that the average interview applicant had a 15 on the NAQ... people with some amazing EC's and Work experience scored below 15...

On my application I had about 35 things I put in the NAQ section and work experience section. I don't know what my NAQ score was, but I got accepted so it must not have been that bad.

I'm not an adcom, and don't know what things carry what weight so it was just my guestimate.

Thanks for your input. UBC is a long shot for me in any case- I'm OOP and wasn't going to apply until I saw the new grade conversion scheme!

Should have a few more items by the time OMSAS is due...hopefully its enough for Ottawa and Queens :P

I want to reiterate that I have no idea what will score what.

If you have good enough grades to even consider applying to UBC as an OOP applicant then you'll probably be good to go for your IP applications.

The OOP's from last cycle had to get basically 23-25 on the AQ section and then score 13-16 on the NAQ just to get an interview, so they really had a tough go of it. As for this cycle, it might be different, but I'd expect OOP's would still need to land around a 16-18 on the NAQ to have a competitive application.

Good luck with your applications and you'll get to where you want to go with enough time.

That is unbelievably brutal!! Oh well...my UBC GPA works out to be exactly 90%, no idea what that equates to as an AQ score...and a number of positions in my NAQ had a high degree of responsibility so maybe that'll help. I guess we'll see!

Your 12-14 comment bruised my ego a little bit lol, I had actually deleted my post because I decided I didn't want said ego bruising, but I guess you commented just as I was removing it.

Based on the regrets for the interviews last cycle, a 25 was estimated to be around ~92-93%.

That is unbelievably brutal!! Oh well...my UBC GPA works out to be exactly 90%, no idea what that equates to as an AQ score...and a number of positions in my NAQ had a high degree of responsibility so maybe that'll help. I guess we'll see!

Your 12-14 comment bruised my ego a little bit lol, I had actually deleted my post because I decided I didn't want said ego bruising, but I guess you commented just as I was removing it.

Sorry if it came across as harsh, but it was only a guess. I could be way off, but I think it's better to guess low than high and be disappointed with the result.

A 90% average is really good! Don't stress about your naq. It will come and good things will happen for you.

Good luck.

I wouldn't even sweat it with a 90% average...

Unless you bomb the interview you'll probably get in. This school loves high averages with little to no volunteer work and seeing as how you have at the very least an average NAQ you'll be fine.

While on the topic of NAQ, I'm not sure I really agree with how wording things should get you higher points. It really comes down to who can make their sh*t not stink the most. I would think it'd be the most logical for an applicant to describe their duties, instead of talking up how making chart packages while you went on Facebook for the next 2 hours of your volunteering shift was a life changing experience. But hey, there's a reason I'm not on the adcom right?

I would think it'd be the most logical for an applicant to describe their duties, instead of talking up how making chart packages while you went on Facebook for the next 2 hours of your volunteering shift was a life changing experience. But hey, there's a reason I'm not on the adcom right?

Well...I meant good wording as in accurate, succinct, straightforward and reasonable...

I would hope that people still maintain a sense of honesty when they are describing their activities. After all, there is a chance that UBC will contact the verifiers and when the info from the applicant and the info from the verifier does not match, I doubt that it would reflect well on the applicant's integrity and character, especially as a potential MD candidate...:confused:

Well...I meant good wording as in accurate, succinct, straightforward and reasonable...

I would hope that people still maintain a sense of honesty when they are describing their activities. After all, there is a chance that UBC will contact the verifiers and when the info from the applicant and the info from the verifier does not match, I doubt that it would reflect well on the applicant's integrity and character, especially as a potential MD candidate...:confused:

You'd be surprised. Unfortunately, and realistically, admission to this profession is highly competitive. People will do whatever it takes to get in. I enjoyed my naivety before, but my eyes were definitely opened during the last application cycle.

So would something like this be okay? I tried to highlight specific skills

"conducting an individual project on memory; attending lab meetings, clinical rounds, and neuroimaging rounds; contributing to the elaboration of a scoring system for complex episodic memories; carrying out analysis via brain imaging software"

From what I've gathered, they'd like you to write about qualities that would exemplify a good physician; solely describing your activity is not enough. These points can be found in the FAQ under the topic of NAQ, I believe.

Ugh...thanks. Does anyone have a sample EC description that they'd be willing to post?

Hey CaptainCrunchMan.. here's an example of one of my descriptions:

Crisis Line Operator: "I established effective communication skills which allowed me to breach and discuss sensitive topics such as suicide and abuse. I then responded empathetically with emotional support or efficiently initiated an immediate intervention when needed.

Plastic

yea i agree, when i wrote it, i always kept it mind to make it personal....like what did the experience impact you, what did you get out of it

From what I've gathered, they'd like you to write about qualities that would exemplify a good physician; solely describing your activity is not enough. These points can be found in the FAQ under the topic of NAQ, I believe.

Archived