Premed 101 Forums

Cegep Organic Chemistry Question

Hey!

Im in my last semester of cegep, and I know that universities really look at the first 3 semester marks. Does it matter if I take organic chemistry during my 3rd or 4rth semester?

Is Organic "harder" when it is taken with Bio 1 or with Bio 2..? Ive heard some things like this... so I just wanted to clarify it :)

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter as long as you take it? QC schools look at the CRC anyways, not individual course grades as far as I know so as long as you take it before med school starts you're good. If you get in, you'd be accepted conditionally to finishing your cegep and whichever science prereqs you're taking in 4th semester.

As for orgo being easier/harder with bio 1 or 2, I've never heard of that before.

Organic is a fun and easy course and generally people do very well in it, despite what you hear.

Both my organic 1 and 2 classes had a class average of high 70s which is pretty good for a science course. Taking bio 1/2 at the same time as organic wont make for much of a difference. The only thing that overlapped from these courses as I recalled were functional groups. Also, depending on the cegep your attending, organic 2 may not be considered an exemption when transfering into university. When I was taking Organic 2, the teacher told us that the one from our cegep was accepted at mcgill but that the one at dawson was not. Im not sure how true this is, but it is something to keep in mind when choosing your optional science course in your last semester.

Anyways that is all, take care and best of luck ;)

Not necessarily true, seeing how organic chemistry is quite different from general chem or chem of solutions. Org was my favorite, because it required a lot more imagination and spatial visualization ability.

I agree. I had a younger teammate who hated gen chemistry, but she loved org and she's starting an undergrad in chem this fall.

Our org labs were fun, we started with an unknown vial the first week, and every week we'd run some test to eliminate possibilities until we had only our mystery product left the last week. We had 1 report to write in the entire semester - it was made up of all the experiments we'd done and analysis/results.

Organic chem I (I took it in 4th semester) was a joke for me, I studied the day before for all my exams (ok, give it 2-3 for the final) and got really good grades, minimum to no work/effort compared to physics waves that I took in 3rd semester... To be honest it was a good way to end cegep for me, like on a breeze :) Also the average org chem was generally higher and physics lower, but since I was good at physics it worked wonders for my CRC...

Also I got accepted to all 4 universities first round doing so, therefore the order really doesn't matter at all

Archived