Premed 101 Forums

Turnitin

I have heard that the essays are submitted through Turnitin to make sure kids aren't plagiarizing?

Can someone clarify this? I don't see how/why kids would copy someone else's essay in the first place- they are supposed to be personal

oh well ... thats what pre-med syndrome does :rolleyes:

The essays are submitted through the OMSAS app. UofT then checks the essays through Turnitin to check for plagiarism. While the essays are supposed to be personal, I can see how easy it would be to use someone else's essay. Some people may think it's worth the risk.

rather than asking why plagiarize you should ask "why not?" - why not steal great ideas from others and use them to your advantage? it's all too tempting to do that. just like you stated, U of T wants something PERSONAL - they don't want you to throw together an abomination made from portions of other peoples' essays.

good luck m8

I have heard that the essays are submitted through Turnitin to make sure kids aren't plagiarizing?

Can someone clarify this? I don't see how/why kids would copy someone else's essay in the first place- they are supposed to be personal

oh well ... thats what pre-med syndrome does :rolleyes:

Also some people in the past have paid others to write their essay. That "author" has some pretty powerful incentive to reuse essay materials to speed things up for themselves, and eventually it becomes obvious there is a common author in the mix :)

Also some people in the past have paid others to write their essay. That "author" has some pretty powerful incentive to reuse essay materials to speed things up for themselves, and eventually it becomes obvious there is a common author in the mix :)

+1, my summer research supervisor at the moment is on the U of T admissions committee and he was telling me about how so many personal statements employ the same writing style and structure. No doubt they enlist the help of professional services or used the same sample essays available on the internet as templates.

I actually saw an ad for such an editing service for professional school applications at Sidney Smith the other day. I guess people will always try to take advantage of desperate students to make $$.

Oh is that so? But in that case I would still think they might get suspicious dont you think?

I mean if there is nothing wrong about your essay.. then why not put it through turnitin

It's a personal statement, so some people might feel uncomfortable with having their essay indexed and as part of a permanent electronic record. It's a U of T policy that students have a right to decline having their material submitted to turnitin. We had a discussion about this in one my undergrad courses that had essay composition.

It's a personal statement, so some people might feel uncomfortable with having their essay indexed and as part of a permanent electronic record. It's a U of T policy that students have a right to decline having their material submitted to turnitin. We had a discussion about this in one my undergrad courses that had essay composition.
Exactly. It's your right to decide who has access to any of your personal information.

Oh is that so? But in that case I would still think they might get suspicious dont you think?

I mean if there is nothing wrong about your essay.. then why not put it through turnitin

because there are candidates who write really personal stuff in their essay like family illness, personal struggles, childhood traumas..(all random examples - u can think of more) etc......that no 3rd party should have a hand on.......The admission committee certainly honors this decision if the candidate chooses to opt out.

Archived