Premed 101 Forums

Different Types of Premeds

igeorgex

Yeah, I was guilty of some major self-loathing during grad school. President of the FML Club right here.

That story about the UBC student from Bangladesh was a wake-up call....I forget what a privilege it is to be in university sometimes.

LOL, awesome. Are there Canadian universities that actually have a "pre-med program", or do people just label themselves as pre-med because they intend to apply to med?

And in QC pre-med refers more to the med-P year because you can go to med-P from cegep.

I think non-trads might be a mix of 1 and normal in that we haven't always been thinking about going into meds.

i think i would definitely be the "im different" pre-med... i try and imagine what i would love to do that's medically related, and envision myself writing for uptodate, doing medical textbooks, getting an llb and suing doctors, working with engineers to develop med technology, being a corporate crony for the fda, giving random health presentations to corporations/government, writing pop culture how to feel better in 10 days books, doing public health and/or dj'ing in ibiza with dr. in my performing alias... the latter would def be my top choice... nothing really about being a clinician really ever pops up

I imagine that if I ever met one of these people in the present, they would tell me I had kind eyes, and then proceed to pour acid down my backpack while I thanked them. These elusive and potentially imaginary pre-meds are totally psychotic and love every second of it.

LOLOL I know so many people like this, it's not even funny.

This list is scarily conclusive, though some of the perceptions aren't necessarily accurate.

LOL, awesome. Are there Canadian universities that actually have a "pre-med program", or do people just label themselves as pre-med because they intend to apply to med?

McGill and Montreal do offer a premed program, but premed is usually used to design people who want to apply to med.

Based on go to conversation topics listed (My Dog/ I’m Happy and Content with Life/ How to be Zen All the Time) I am definitely "normal premed." But I don't like the word "normal." Maybe "down to earth" would have been better? I feel like every member on the forum has their respective category.

This was definitely me this year (it actually happened):

"These are the people who, when your departmental graduation speaker announces that so-and-so “will be attending medical school next fall at…,” you’re like “Excuse me?” You didn’t even know they were pre-med! "

If any of you say that I am the "closeted cut throat premed," I raise my eyebrow at you.

Based on go to conversation topics listed (My Dog/ I’m Happy and Content with Life/ How to be Zen All the Time) I am definitely "normal premed." But I don't like the word "normal." Maybe "down to earth" would have been better? I feel like every member on the forum has their respective category.

"These are the people who, when your departmental graduation speaker announces that so-and-so “will be attending medical school next fall at…,” you’re like “Excuse me?” You didn’t even know they were pre-med! "

If any of you say that I am the "closeted cut throat premed," I raise my eyebrow at you.

Haha.. I like down to earth as a description better. I go into that category as well. Let's say many people near me went "What??" when I said I'd applied to med, and later on got accepted :D

Hope you're doing ok Cerena (in the circumstances)!!

Ce I know about the HBr thermos. And the ADH blocker in your labmate's coffee. And the self-combusting textbook of doom. ;) You villainous you

lol. I told a good friend of mine that I got into med and she responded with "Really? That's great, but random." She had no clue that I wanted to go to med school.

It wasn't announced but I definitely got that. Not for the reason of being normal or secretive about my endevours but because I was/is so dumb in undergrad. haha.

My old (IB) school mates secretly point at laugh at my choice/lack of choice of schools.

Archived