Premed 101 Forums

Canada Post strike

kkentm

Anyone know when this joke is gonna end? Im waiting on a very important package that shouldve arrived weeks ago.

This thread may also be used to discuss peoples opinions on why a union representing uneducated blue collar workers in a dying sector of business thinks they deserve a raise

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone know when this joke is gonna end? Im waiting on a very important package that shouldve arrived weeks ago.

This thread may also be used to discuss peoples opinions on why a union representing uneducated blue collar workers in a dying sector of business thinks they deserve a raise

I'm very frustrated too. They're already losing millions each day...hundred of millions which could have already went to the employees and saved all the loss and inconvenience that this strike is causing.

You don't realize what you have until you lose it.

Can you imagine hand delivering a package across the country, let alone across the world? We should be thankful for people like them. Especially since they're the ones that delivered the Health science acceptance letter to you:P

Complaining is easy! Take this time to appreciate the postal service! It's probably the only time you will...but if given a couple more days and nothing changes...then drastic measures need to be implemented lol. I kid of course. I could care less.

As an aside I drove by a post office yesterday and saw a bunch of strikers playing keep-up with a soccer ball while blasting music from an archaic boombox... I honked at them to get their attention, stopped my car, and told them to go f*ck themselves... not sure if it makes you feel any better... and yes I know they're not the ones to blame and it was a terrible thing to do but it was definitely a cathartic experience and I felt a little better about my lowly existence afterwards... :)

This strike has gone on for far too long. It is a dying sector of business but we still rely on the mail to get a lot of stuff that can't be done over the Internet and this strike has been frustrating to watch. The last I heard the federal government was going to pass a bill to intervene and end the strike.. hopefully that happens soon!

You don't realize what you have until you lose it.

Can you imagine hand delivering a package across the country, let alone across the world? We should be thankful for people like them. Especially since they're the ones that delivered the Health science acceptance letter to you:P

Complaining is easy! Take this time to appreciate the postal service! It's probably the only time you will...but if given a couple more days and nothing changes...then drastic measures need to be implemented lol. I kid of course. I could care less.

their salaries for such menial jobs reflect that...postal workers are being paid upwards of $23/hr, far above the national average...also anyone who enters into the industry to deliver mail knows what they're getting into....

as someone who has been following this closely ,as i myself am waiting for a package, i can say that it is creating unnecessary hassle for all...while canada post is losing money, so are several small businesses which have to resort to other means...

im also getting frustrated at NDP for trying to politicize the situation!

anyway just my tidbit...

I am not a fan of unions, i was told for a volunteer postion i couldn't get the position cause unions would say i would be taking a job away from someone else by volunteering.

I am so fed up with the employment industry in Ontario.

-you dont have enough experience

-your not qualified to work here

I honestly get better offers in business then in science

This thread seems to think that the postal workers are on strike but if you look back a couple weeks you'll see they are locked out; they aren't on strike. Yes there were rotating strikes but the day after the strike in Toronto and Montreal the workers discovered they were locked out. Its fine to say they should just get back to work but they can't.

What does education or lack there of have anything to do with it?

Just because you have or are getting an education doesnt make you better or more valuable to society.

If he had of said un skilled then i wouldnt have had a problem with that but he said uneducated.

Not having an education doesn't make you any less valuable to society. What one does with their life is what makes them of value.

Want to know how many uneducated people i know who own and run successful businesses, volunteer their time and contribute back to their communities? Lots.

No one is deserving of anything - educated or otherwise. If you want something in life go get it. I have an issue when people think those who went to school are somehow deserving of better simply because they chose to go to school.

Really? I have spent most of my life as a blue/green collar worker and as far as I am concerned education makes you way more valuable to society. Who is more important the highly educated dentist or the cab driver? I know you want to avoid the over inflated sense of self worth that is rampant in university kids but I don't think you can go at it like this. I think what the poster was alluding too is one of the following:

1) Unskilled/uneducated people can be easily replaced by other unskilled/uneducated people and they should therefore tread softly. This goes back to an old argument of why unskilled people have unions at all.

2) Uneducated people may not have an understanding or solid perspective of their place within society, specifically pertaining to the fact that the business they work for is undergoing shrinkage and their demands are unrealistic.

3) Education has huge implications. If you are spending 4 years in school and spending thousands of dollars on your education then you should make more money to supplement that time/money investment. If you are working in a sector that does not require any advanced education then your salary will reflect that.

No one is saying educated people are better as human beings, what they are saying is that they play a larger role in society and should be compensated as such.

All public sector unions fight for the same principle: minimize work/duties and maximize wages/benefits. Whether it's the TTC union or the teachers union, it's always the same. Regardless of whether there is a recession and the average Joe on the street is barely making ends meat.

I despise the NDP very much. Their moronic antics with delaying the back-to-work legislature just infuriates me. They surely lost the confidence of most people that voted for them last month. This is the same party that two months ago during the election campaign insisted that we fix healthcare issues by pumping more money and hiring more doctors (particularly, hire more doctors trained outside of Canada). This just seemed so illogical to me given the huge inefficiencies and money wastage that happens within our healthcare system. The answer isn't to pump more money into it, but become more efficient - a concept that's clearly foreign to the NDP.

If you are gonna ***** about the CUPW and unions in general, at least learn the difference between a lock out and a strike. You look pretty stupid when you complain about not getting mail due to the CUPW, when it was Canada Post management that stopped the mail with a lock out. At the start of the strike, CUPW was rotating strike centers around the country. The worst thing that happened at that point was that mail got delayed in a few cities by one day. The no mail at all is the governments fault.

As for *****ing about unions, instead of focusing on why CUPW gets paid well and has good benefits, why not ask why other private sectors have cut the same things for their employees. At one time, everyone (public and private) had a good wage and a good benifits package. However, in order to assure ever increasing profits, private business has spent years slashing everything at the middle class's expense. You are focusing your anger on the wrong group. You are engaging in the exact argument corporate Canada/America wants you to. Kill off your own middle class to benefit the corporations. Seriously, don't ask why unions have it good, ask why you don't have it as well as them.

Finally, for those who complain about CP being dated, fund me another way to send a letter to the middle of nowhere, NWT for 60 cents, or a package for cheap. Until you can, we need CP.

If you are gonna ***** about the CUPW and unions in general, at least learn the difference between a lock out and a strike. You look pretty stupid when you complain about not getting mail due to the CUPW, when it was Canada Post management that stopped the mail with a lock out. At the start of the strike, CUPW was rotating strike centers around the country. The worst thing that happened at that point was that mail got delayed in a few cities by one day. The no mail at all is the governments fault.

Yeah that makes sense in a world where money grows on trees. CUPW were the ones who initiated the strike because of their greed and their feeling of entitlement despite the fact that the business is experiencing some serious downturns as is the entire western as well as global economy. So yeah, I will ***** about it. Hell, I would ***** about it even if there was no strike because these people make more money than they deserve. Demanding increased wages in a time like this is just delusional. CP locked them out because they were losing business. If you had a business yourself as opposed to mooching of government loans maybe you would understand.

As for *****ing about unions, instead of focusing on why CUPW gets paid well and has good benefits, why not ask why other private sectors have cut the same things for their employees.

Becasue the world is moving on from mail thus there isn't enough revenue.

At one time, everyone (public and private) had a good wage and a good benifits package. However, in order to assure ever increasing profits, private business has spent years slashing everything at the middle class's expense. You are focusing your anger on the wrong group. You are engaging in the exact argument corporate Canada/America wants you to. Kill off your own middle class to benefit the corporations. Seriously, don't ask why unions have it good, ask why you don't have it as well as them.

Because I don't have the power to terrorize the public by withholding an important service and even if I did I wouldn't because I'm not a d***.

Again, as I previously stated, CUPW is not withholding important services. It's Canada Post corporation that initiated the lock out. Things were still functioning relatively well with the rotating strikes.

Please try to enligten yourself about the actual situation if you are going to insinuate that the membership is "****s".

Also, if the world is moving on from mail, CP can simply hire less people and reduce staff through attrition, or even lay offs They will need less people to handle less volume. Reducing pay won't solve the problem of not having enough volume.

In the end if you think the CUPW has it so sweet, you are free to go work for CP. And don't say you'll never get a position, since I know at least a few people who have worked for the CUPW or other large unions without connections to land a position.

As an aside I drove by a post office yesterday and saw a bunch of strikers playing keep-up with a soccer ball while blasting music from an archaic boombox... I honked at them to get their attention, stopped my car, and told them to go f*ck themselves... not sure if it makes you feel any better... and yes I know they're not the ones to blame and it was a terrible thing to do but it was definitely a cathartic experience and I felt a little better about my lowly existence afterwards... :)

I'm glad you still have a few years if undergrad to mature prior to applying to med or dental school. That kind of behaviour demonstrates a complete lack of discipline, respect and judgement.

really, you're not a fan of unions? that's a pretty broad generalization, do you mean all unions? how do you factor in inefficiencies in management when you're evaluating productivity? have you ever been a victim of discrimination because of your religious beliefs, ethnicity, being a whistleblower etc.? what about unions who do a sincere service to member in protecting them from abuses? for example, if it weren't for provincial residency unions then residents would be worked to the grave (more so than they already are in certain specialties). i worked for two unionized health care jobs over 5 years, and in my mind one of those jobs allowed for workers to take advantage of the system, whereas in the other job, the union provided essential protections for workers. The world is a complex place, to paint one concept with a single brush doesn't do the topic justice.

I'd also like to add that in private industry, some companies will treat and compensate you as poorly as they can, and use their leverage over you to force you to do things that are against labour law. I worked as a manager in a non-unionized job too and I was encouraged to short peoples hours and all sorts of other fun stuff. When I quit I documented everything and went to the labour board on their asses. If I had been a 35 year old single parent that definitely would not be possible.

In the future, avoid oversimplifying complex issues, as it shows limited consideration for the complexities of the issues at hand.

Personally I support their wages, they do hard work, try walking around in minus 30 degree weather with heavy bags for 8 months of the year. I personally wouldn't do it for 23 dollars an hour. Professional golfers often do much less walking and end up having to get knee surgery to repair the damaged cartilage most of the time.

I got paid really well at the mental hospital and had very menial work most of the time, but I had more than my fair share of being attacked by the mentally ill and handicapped. I also got bit by an alzheimer's patient. The reason these jobs get paid reasonably well isn't because the work requires education, it's that no one is willing to do the work.

I am not a fan of unions, i was told for a volunteer postion i couldn't get the position cause unions would say i would be taking a job away from someone else by volunteering.

I am so fed up with the employment industry in Ontario.

-you dont have enough experience

-your not qualified to work here

I honestly get better offers in business then in science

Private businesses operate in a free market with competition. Therefore if those business suffers its due to a number of factors and that salaries and benefits may be affected as you indicate below whereas CP does not operate in a free market as far as letter mail is concerned which has experienced a 17% decline and a $3.2B deficit since 2007.

How can employees (all) continue to ask for more when there's been a decline in products and services from the business which they work for? You know what i did when my employer wouldnt give me a raise? I took my skills into the marketplace and find a company willing to pay me what i felt i was worth. If CP union employees and union employees in general want more money why don't they take their valuable skillset into the open market to find wages that they would be happy with?

Oh, and only the greediest of *******s go on strike in an economic climate like we have today. Most people are just happy to have a job and here these pricks (and Air Canada to boot) exercise their optiion.

As for *****ing about unions, instead of focusing on why CUPW gets paid well and has good benefits, why not ask why other private sectors have cut the same things for their employees. At one time, everyone (public and private) had a good wage and a good benifits package. However, in order to assure ever increasing profits, private business has spent years slashing everything at the middle class's expense. You are focusing your anger on the wrong group. You are engaging in the exact argument corporate Canada/America wants you to. Kill off your own middle class to benefit the corporations. Seriously, don't ask why unions have it good, ask why you don't have it as well as them.

Finally, for those who complain about CP being dated, fund me another way to send a letter to the middle of nowhere, NWT for 60 cents, or a package for cheap. Until you can, we need CP.

i have a feeling they'll end up keeping their pay, but they'll put a hiring freeze on the guys for 5 years, and they'll end up having to work twice as hard for the same money.

How can employees (all) continue to ask for more when there's been a decline in products and services from the business which they work for? You know what i did when my employer wouldnt give me a raise? I took my skills into the marketplace and find a company willing to pay me what i felt i was worth. If CP union employees and union employees in general want more money why don't they take their valuable skillset into the open market to find wages that they would be happy with?

Again, as I previously stated, CUPW is not withholding important services. It's Canada Post corporation that initiated the lock out. Things were still functioning relatively well with the rotating strikes.

Please try to enligten yourself about the actual situation if you are going to insinuate that the membership is "****s".

I don't want to start a flame-war nor do I mean this to be a personal attack on your comment, but since you insist on getting the facts straight: it was CUPW that started the rotating walk-outs. When the walk-out hit the urban distribution sites (notably in T.O.), it basically crippled 60% of all mail in the CP system. They were losing way too much money and the backlog was too chaotic. This forced CP to shutdown. No doubt that it was a union tactic so that they can point the finger at CP and the government when forced to shutdown the system. For anyone who has put up with the insanity of the TTC union and their walk-outs over the last several years, you know how low and dirty these unions play.

In terms of some of the things the union is fighting for, one is against implement a new mail sorting system that is faster and more efficient. They're crying that it means more mail for the carrier to lug around. Unless this added weight = putting the carrier at a safety/health risk, I find this argument so baseless. I guess they like to keep their technology up to 1980s standards. No wonder even the Ontario medical schools switched away from using CP to a private courier for their transcript delivery system due to improved service and better prices. Go figure!

i have a feeling they'll end up keeping their pay, but they'll put a hiring freeze on the guys for 5 years, and they'll end up having to work twice as hard for the same money.

What they should do is reduce total staff by 17% OR come up with alternative cost cutting plams to ensure all employees can still keep their jobs.

The problem with the latter approach is everyone is a greedy **** and only in it for themselves. If more people and business adopted a game theory approach we'd all win but few would consider taking less money to help save their co-workers from being canned.

Archived