Premed 101 Forums

Pre-req Courses

Guest roboboy69

Guest roboboy69

Hi Guys,

I have a quick question concerning how McGill looks at the grades obtained in pre-req courses. I already have an undergraduate degree (engineering) and am now working towards completing my pre-req courses (bio, chem, o-chem) on a part-time basis. Does anybody know how McGill looks at the marks taken for part-time (non-degree) pre-req courses?

Does McGill make separate calculations for degree GPA AND pre-req GPA? Can anybody shed some light, perhaps, on what is considered a 'bad' pre-req grade? For instance, can a question concerning a poor grade obtained in a pre-req course come up in an interview?

Thanks,

RB

Guest Shaunabelle

I am in the exact same boat and was wondering the same thing. Does anyone know? And i have another question, I know that most of the material is taught through lectures but are there any small group discussions/sessions at all at McGill? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest medicator007

Sorry must have missed this question....

I don't know how they handle pre-reqs not taken as part of a degree to be honest. I did all but one of my pre-reqs in CEGEP and while I was required to submit my grade, it never seemed to be held against me, and trust me I did pretty poorly in some of them.

You will not be asked about your marks in the interview, mostly because the interviewers do not have access to anything about you apart from your letter (and I hear now your CV if u bring one the day of the interview?!?). So unless you bring it up, you'll be in the clear.

As for small groups, yes the majority for the time being of material is taught in whole class lectures, but we have plenty of small group case based learning throughout each of the 8 units. For some it is too little and for other it is far too much and thats really what there is to say about that. However, the curriculum is currently undergoing a HUGE overhaul which is destined to affect the class of 2008, (phew im safe) and i cannot comment on what if anything the effect with be on small groups.

Cheers,

Medicator

Guest noncestvrai

To comment on the change in the curriculum,

no more back to basics, more clerkships, mandatory rural family med, mandatory emerg, a bit less vacation time, moved around electives and more electives I think up to 6 but only 3-4 before CARMS.

Yeah, medicator, you still get vacation time in 4th year, I mean back to basics:p

noncestvrai

Guest noncestvrai

I think it's a good thing for the province to have people go in rural Quebec to at least experience a bit of that kind of medicine. I think the movement of the 1st elective is a good one since we now will have some clinical experience before going into whatever we choose. Yeah, it seems there is more clerkship, I don't know how I feel about that since at that time I will be matched (hopefully) and this will have zero repercussions on my future aspirations.

I think I have a positive view of the change, but it might differ when I am confronted with the situation...a drawback, we will have a bit of overlap with the class of 2007 for the first clerkship I think, I guess we'll manage.

noncestvrai

• 1 year later...

Archived