Premed 101 Forums

Athabasca Courses

^I believe it's completely different and you will have to look at t the course description. For example, PHYS200 and PHYS201 are both 2** courses, but they are the equivalent for first year physics (ie. you learn about mechanics and freefall etc in the first half, and electricity, buoyancy, etc in the second half.)

thanks guys!

btw has anybody here taken athabasca courses? I am doing a special year (UWO) so any comments about upper year courses at athabasca would be really appreciated! :)

I took NUTR 405 - Nutrition in Health and Disease through Athabasca and I really enjoyed it. :) I did have a background in nutrition, having taken both NUTR 1010 and NUTR 2050 through the University of Guelph's Open Guelph distance education.

The assignments were of an appropriate difficulty level, as were the exams. The supplemental readings were really interesting. It was a great course to examine the effects of diet and nutrition on disease, especially chronic disease. I would highly recommend the course to anyone who has the required nutrition pre-req (which would be NUTR 330 offered by Athabasca, or any other introductory nutrition course offered elsewhere).

I'm currently taking BIO235 (Human anatomy and physiology). I'm having a lot of trouble staying focussed and staying on track, but I do have until december to finish it.

Not sure where you are, but wow.... lots of muscles to remember! That was the most difficult for me. I did the course in about 3 weeks (don't ask. Really dumb. Don't do that.). Just finishing up assignments (which I should have done long ago). Probably be done by tonight and then FREEDOM! :D (Until September that is.........)

i haven't done any exams yet.. just the textbook readings, which are going SO slowly, mostly because I've taken a full physiology course at MAC and so far it's been review. I'm taking the course to fulfill the Human Anatomy requirement for dentistry for Dentistry at Melbourne. I missed the deadline for pure anatomy courses at other schools.

How did you manage to do it in 3 weeks?!

Have you written any exams yet, and if so, were they easy? I'm taking orgo I and II through Athabasca this year (and possibly biochem after if UBC decided to be awesome and grant me an interview), but I haven't taken gen chem yet so I'm a bit worried :s

could you explain how the labs work exactly?

i haven't done any exams yet.. just the textbook readings, which are going SO slowly, mostly because I've taken a full physiology course at MAC and so far it's been review. I'm taking the course to fulfill the Human Anatomy requirement for dentistry for Dentistry at Melbourne. I missed the deadline for pure anatomy courses at other schools.

How did you manage to do it in 3 weeks?!

I already have multiple physiology classes and a few immunology classes, so that stuff was mostly review....

It involved 5 or 6 hours a day just reading. I only read through the material once, and then crammed in the hour before the exam the straight memorization stuff I needed to go over. And luck. And stupidity on my part ("started" course MONTHS ago, but didn't actually start reading until I booked my exams 10 days before I needed to write them). I need it for a program I applied for. Marks need to be in in a few weeks.

I needed the anatomy part of the course and since work and other commitments prevented me from taking ONE class (I already have a degree) at the university, I decided to take this one. It wasn't bad (all things considered- a bunch of crap hit the fan as I was attempting to study for it...) overall. I think I would have enjoyed it much more if I took more time. And if there was less muscle and joint stuff to memorize. Not my favourite topics.

I am frustrated with AU though... my other 2 courses took over 6 weeks to get the final mark for. And they use Canada Post. So any transcripts I send RIGHT NOW, who knows how long they'll take considering the backlog. Even if I courier... who knows.:confused:

Archived