Premed 101 Forums

To OOPs who interviewed

Guest byjude

Guest byjude

Looking over the selection process details on their website - can someone tell me if I understand correctly?

From what I take it, all applicants who have the prereqs and meet the cutoff (I'm assuming the OOP cutoff is also a CGPA of 3.5) are assessed strictly based on their autobio submission in order to determine who gets an interview. After interviewing, there is some combination of interview score and GPA, MCAT scores to rank interviewees.

Is this right? Does that mean then that, unlike applying to most schools as an OOP, personal characteristics have a lot more say in getting to the interview stage than marks? Is it possible to get in as an OOP with a 3.6?

Guest mstr splinter

Someone called the admissions office to ask about cutoffs for oop applicants and posted the response they got. I think they reported that admissions described a 3.75 GPA and 33 MCAT as 'competitive'--whether that's a hard cut-off or not, I can't say, particularly since at the interviews, the dean alluded to reading 'all' the autobiographical essays before sending out invitations.

Guest med2006McGill

As long as you the cutoff (stated as CGPA 3.5 & MCAT 30 on the website), whether you get an interview or not depends on both your autobio submission AND your reference letters. After your interview, then they take into account every component (GPA, MCAT, interview, ref letters, autobio). In general, getting in as an OOP is pretty competitive. They only interview ~40 people out of hundreds of OOP applicants (don't quote me on the #s though). Almost all OOP applicants who get accepted at McGill are accepted elsewhere as well.

There's no harm in applying though! I wish you the best of luck!

Guest byjude

Well, there is actually harm - as I would have to take orgo chem. So I'm trying to decide if it's worth my effort - since I really really hate chem labs. :)

Orgo only makes me eligible at UBC, Alberta, and McGill, and none of them really seem like they offer reasonable odds so I don't know it's worth the pain, financial investment, and not having a job this summer in order to take orgo. Not to mention = the stress.

I've always loved McGill - but don't know if a 3.62 and a vague shot at getting in is worth the pain of an orgo summer!

• 2 years later...

Archived