Premed 101 Forums

Marianopolis and then McGill

Hi,

I am currently in my fourth year of high school going on the fifth one when school starts again. I would like to apply to Marianopolis and Dawson in Health Science but I was wondering if I was eligible for the program with an average of 84% and all of my grades are above of the class average. Furthermore, I was wondering if someone could explain what is the best path to choose to be able to get into McGill and finish as a family doctor in the future.

Thank you so much to both of you for your advice. I'm sure it will help me greatly and I have considered going to french cegeps but I changed my mind because I would like to continue my education in an English speaking environment for a change and I doubt this change could affect negatively my R-score since the first language I have learned is English.

Knowing both languages is a huge plus in QC.. I did my elementary/high school/cegep in French, then my undergrad in English at McGill, and finally my masters and now MD in French. If you've already been to French school before then there's nothing wrong with aiming for English cegep though it limits the options. Either way it won't affect your R-score.

Thank you so much to both of you for your advice. I'm sure it will help me greatly and I have considered going to french cegeps but I changed my mind because I would like to continue my education in an English speaking environment for a change and I doubt this change could affect negatively my R-score since the first language I have learned is English.

But if you go to an English cegep, you may have to do a French test when applying to the French med schools (because applying to only one school is not a good idea)

But if you go to an English cegep, you may have to do a French test when applying to the French med schools (because applying to only one school is not a good idea)

However, if you attended a French high school (5 years), you don't have to write the French test :)

At Laval, if you fail, you just need to take a french class.

Oh really?

Damn it so I stressed for nothing 4 years ago

I passed narrow though... the cut-off at UdeM was like 850/990 for Med, as compared to 750/990 for french litterature... WTF:rolleyes:

• 4 years later...

I agree with future_doc, getting into McGill is a little bit more tricky, in a sense that your R score seems to have less importance (in comparison to UdeM, ULaval and UdeS). Focus on performing well regardless of the cegep you are going to attend and try (if not already done) to do some volunteer work. Even if I got rejected after the interview process, these two elements still allowed me to receive an invite for an MMI nonetheless.  :)

Archived