Premed 101 Forums

recidency required?? (going into ND after MD)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love the good ol' black vs white arguments...

Sometimes in the world there are grey areas.

In my opinion, with the "western world" being what it is (beurocracy, legalistic, etc,etc), allopatric medicine is what it is and will be (but obviously get better and better with research/technology/etc). The system is flawed, of course, but has evolved accordingly to best fit our society.

Yes, allopatric medicine uses scientific evidence to prove it's efficiency rates (not all at 100%). Yes, naturopathic medicine has points where it is right, and points where it is wrong. Yes, these practice overlap in many areas. Yes, there is proffit to be made in our western world. Yes, there is a dump load about us, health and the world that we have yet to discover.

I'm neither making an argument for or against either side, but I find pure ignorance is distasteful.

Can you really lump sum all MDs as pill pushers working for big pharma? Look how hard some "premeds" and MDs struggle to help people to the best of their ability. Look how intelligent and streetwise many "premeds" and MDs are. Can you really simply state they are all pawns to an industry?

Can you really say that corperations (ew, I'm starting to sound like those hippies on that South Park episode) and the profit system of the "western world" has no influence? Although not a perfect example for drugs, look at olive oil. It's not the only oil that has roughly the same nutritional value and possitive affects for health but we all know of it because a representative for multiple major olive oil companies (LOL them oil companies again!) was able to influence American government (kind of an interesting story). It's not neccessarly the healthiest, most cost efficient of all oils but it is the most known for it's healthy properties due to well placed lobying, education and advertisement (not dissing olive oil though; I love that stuff).

There can be legitamecy on both sides of the story. Sometimes the truth is in the middle; sometimes the truth can lean far on one side. This never means that the otherside is completely wrong.

PS. Sorry for the horrible spelling/gramar...

This was literally the best post in this entire thread. Now please, /thread.

yeah, i was aware of niacins use, although most people don't like the flush. but even other random stuff like senna for opiate induced constipation is "natural", personally i think naturopathy should be a fellowship md's can do for a couple years if they want to incorporate responsible naturopathic med into their practice... while many naturopaths are pretty knowledgeable i agree they lack the foundation that is necessary to be primary care givers. instead of naturopaths practicing autonomously i'd like to see responsible naturopathic med taught to md's... but that's a whole other bag of worms.

i walk into this specific vitamin shop all the time because i'm into nootropics and it annoys me to no end when i hear the herbalist tout bull**** to people who are dissatisfied with pure allopathy. i feel fine going there because when i walk in i know exactly what the research is behind a certain product and what its' known pharmacological properties are etc. but i see the herbalist always recommending what, imo, is crap, just because it's "good" for memory when they don't understand potential drug interactions, potential problems (i.e. causing excessive breakdown products of dopamine by interaction with one of the mao's, which can lower dopamine levels and cause atypical depression in some people), people also buy the cheap ass stuff when there's pharmaceutical grade products (aor comes to mind, founded by a pharmD) around, but generally, you get what you pay for and only a few select stores (not gnc, LOL) stock top pharma grade supplements.

Maybe this is not done/taught in Canadian medical schools, but niacin is standard of care for treatment of dyslipidemia in the US, especially problems with HDL. But further to that point, you should check out the AIM-HIGH clinical trial for some disappointing news about niacin.

http://www.nih.gov/news/health/may2011/nhlbi-26.htm

And my take on this whole issue: There definitely is a bias towards expensive drugs when there may be untested products on the market that work for common medical conditions like hypertension, diabetes, coronary disease etc. I think naturopaths are a great added resource to look into these things for patients, but they lack the education to see patients as their primary care providers, nor should they be the sole provider of care for chronic disease for the same reason.

yeah, i was aware of niacins use, although most people don't like the flush. but even other random stuff like senna for opiate induced constipation is "natural", personally i think naturopathy should be a fellowship md's can do for a couple years if they want to incorporate responsible naturopathic med into their practice... while many naturopaths are pretty knowledgeable i agree they lack the foundation that is necessary to be primary care givers. instead of naturopaths practicing autonomously i'd like to see responsible naturopathic med taught to md's... but that's a whole other bag of worms.

i walk into this specific vitamin shop all the time because i'm into nootropics and it annoys me to no end when i hear the herbalist tout bull**** to people who are dissatisfied with pure allopathy. i feel fine going there because when i walk in i know exactly what the research is behind a certain product and what its' known pharmacological properties are etc. but i see the herbalist always recommending what, imo, is crap, just because it's "good" for memory when they don't understand potential drug interactions, potential problems (i.e. causing excessive breakdown products of dopamine by interaction with one of the mao's, which can lower dopamine levels and cause atypical depression in some people), people also buy the cheap ass stuff when there's pharmaceutical grade products (aor comes to mind, founded by a pharmD) around, but generally, you get what you pay for and only a few select stores (not gnc, LOL) stock top pharma grade supplements.

You're "into" nootropics? Why not just spend more time focusing on studying if you're unhappy with your academic performance? Every drug has a side effect.

personal satisfaction? im quite happy with my academic performance, not everything in life revolves around academic performance.

you're right, everything has a side effect, even mcdonald's food.

You're "into" nootropics? Why not just spend more time focusing on studying if you're unhappy with your academic performance? Every drug has a side effect.

Archived