Premed 101 Forums

Where can I Buy CHEAP weights/dumbells to workout with? It's $1/lb everywhere!

lomalinda

I checked walmart and a couple of places, but it's basically $1/lb everywhere.

If I want a couple of 20lb or 30lb weights, I have to dish out $40-$60! That'll be affordable for me in the future, but not now:( .

Anybody have any ideas and experiences where you can get cheap weights/dumbells.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I don't know about any place but try and look online or ask around for anybody selling used ones. It doesn't have to look good. Any run down ones will do.

But I would highly recommend walmart because they have this 3month return policy and so I used to buy weights from there and just return them when I felt they were getting lighter or when I felt I wanted to move on.

Also, if you can get ahold of the handles for cheap, the plates should come relatively cheaper than the usual dollar per pound you would get if you buy the dumbbells. This is what I do now and I would recommend it over dumbbells because it's more practical and you can go lower or higher depending on your strength.

Money is always an issue. Since that was a case for me too, I did a lot of bodyweight exercises! Don't overlook them. Pullups, dips, pushups, inverted rows all do a lot of good for the body and you're looking at less chances of injury too.

School gym during the year should be good in my opinion. York gym is $15 for the year and I recall similarly inexpensive pricing when I was in school the first time years ago.

Most fitness clubs are around the $35-$55/month mark so I can see how some students would find that pricey.

School gym during the year should be good in my opinion. York gym is $15 for the year and I recall similarly inexpensive pricing when I was in school the first time years ago.

Most fitness clubs are around the $35-$55/month mark so I can see how some students would find that pricey.

you can negotiate with the sales people, they tend to flexible.

Op when i was in highschool,when i didn't want to pay for a gym membership I was able to get some adjustable dumbbells +weights at walmart for like 40.I didn't buy the combo since it had plastic spin locks (which break easily), i instead bought the individual dumbbells at walmart then i bought weights from them. Also op if you can show a bit of cleavage and are an attractive girl, perhaps you can use your sexuality to get you a better gym rate.

Unfortunately, I don't know about any place but try and look online or ask around for anybody selling used ones. It doesn't have to look good. Any run down ones will do.

But I would highly recommend walmart because they have this 3month return policy and so I used to buy weights from there and just return them when I felt they were getting lighter or when I felt I wanted to move on.

Also, if you can get ahold of the handles for cheap, the plates should come relatively cheaper than the usual dollar per pound you would get if you buy the dumbbells. This is what I do now and I would recommend it over dumbbells because it's more practical and you can go lower or higher depending on your strength.

Money is always an issue. Since that was a case for me too, I did a lot of bodyweight exercises! Don't overlook them. Pullups, dips, pushups, inverted rows all do a lot of good for the body and you're looking at less chances of injury too.

Thanks man, you seem to genuinely feel sympathetic for me and understand my situation, haha.

Also, for the people recommending gyms, all gyms including my university gym are too far from me. I don't really like the gym atmosphere anyway.

And I'm not a girl hockeykid, hahah, so negotiating using sexual advances is out of the question, lol.

I guess I'll look on Kijiji, it seems to be the best suggestion so far.

I just wish there were places where weights generally go on sale once in a while.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I checked walmart and a couple of places, but it's basically $1/lb everywhere.

If I want a couple of 20lb or 30lb weights, I have to dish out $40-$60! That'll be affordable for me in the future, but not now:( .

Anybody have any ideas and experiences where you can get cheap weights/dumbells.

Thanks.

Kijiji, Craigslist, Newspaper classifieds section, thrift stores.

Archived