Premed 101 Forums

Being yelled at by nurses and support staff as a resident/medical student

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't say it any better than this prolific writer / anesthesiologist on SDN: "Bow Your Head."

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=548150

Nice post, but I disagree with the subsequent comment about taking the blame for things even if it's not your fault. This SERIOUSLY backfired on me back in the working days. Someone screwed up, defended himself, blamed me; I was new at that job and this person was my boss, so I took the blame and apologized. Fast-forward a month later, I'm fired and this incident is used as one of the two major reasons for firing me. I was just too naive, I guess - there are certainly nasty people out there who will take advantage of you if you are nice and respectful. And in the medical field, I'd NEVER risk taking the blame for anything I didn't actually do, I don't want to actually get sued and have to pay to defend myself later.

Nice post, but I disagree with the subsequent comment about taking the blame for things even if it's not your fault. This SERIOUSLY backfired on me back in the working days. Someone screwed up, defended himself, blamed me; I was new at that job and this person was my boss, so I took the blame and apologized. Fast-forward a month later, I'm fired and this incident is used as one of the two major reasons for firing me. I was just too naive, I guess - there are certainly nasty people out there who will take advantage of you if you are nice and respectful. And in the medical field, I'd NEVER risk taking the blame for anything I didn't actually do, I don't want to actually get sued and have to pay to defend myself later.

Honestly, that eloquently worded post on SDN is really poor advice.

Only one person is going to look out for your professional future: you. If you let people walk over you, only one person is to blame. That's not to say there aren't support networks, friends, and other things, but in the end as a professional adult it does all come down to a single baseline. You can be a team player without taking bullets for your teammates. I guess what I mean is, don't stand up for yourself when you don't deserve it, but don't let people saddle you with baggage you didn't earn, either. I'm sorry to hear you got bit by this kinda stuff Jochi :( I hope it wasn't with your medical career.

Honestly, that eloquently worded post on SDN is really poor advice.

Only one person is going to look out for your professional future: you. If you let people walk over you, only one person is to blame. That's not to say there aren't support networks, friends, and other things, but in the end as a professional adult it does all come down to a single baseline. You can be a team player without taking bullets for your teammates. I guess what I mean is, don't stand up for yourself when you don't deserve it, but don't let people saddle you with baggage you didn't earn, either. I'm sorry to hear you got bit by this kinda stuff Jochi :( I hope it wasn't with your medical career.

Jochi make a really good point. You have to bow your head, but you have to also know when to stand your ground. In other words, pick your battles wisely.

Archived