Premed 101 Forums

2012-2013 Applicant Thread

Has the application system opened yet or will it be opened ~ next week? (First time applying so just don't want to miss the deadlines).

Not yet.. soon...

http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/medicine/admissions/applying.html

Early-bird Applications will be accepted until September 23, 2011.

Final deadline to apply to the 2012-2013 cycle is Friday October 7, 2011.

Is my understanding correct that we need to have SIX Humanities courses to meet the prerequisite cut off? O__o

(6 courses x 3 credit hours = 18 hours?)

Correct for students with a BSc(general).

But I'm assuming that you've done a 4-year Honors degree from UTSC? In that case, the next paragraph states that we can waive 12 of those hours, so it works out to being 6 credit hours of humanities/social sciences (i.e. 2 courses)

Ready to re-apply here as an OOP! Didn't get an interview last year...While my AGPA is above the median/mean, my MCAT score puts me at the minimum score for OOP acceptances last year, so here's hoping it works out somehow! (Though of course only 5 OOP students entered the class last year it appears) :)

Edit: Also, I wonder...what is the reason for inputting our activities into the application? According to this, they only seem to consider our GPA/MCAT/rural experience/academic appointment in the interview consideration

All applicants who meet the eligibility requirements are ranked by calculating a composite score in the following way:

(27.3%AGPA + 72.7%MCAT®) X (rurality co-efficient if >0) X (academic co-efficient if >0)

Only those applicants whose composite score is deemed to be competitive will be invited for an interview.

Here is the admissions statistics from last year from the website: http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/medicine/alumni/media/Class_2014_Stats_For_Website.pdf

^ Thanks Prateek. My issue is that I came directly into second year, skipping first year. So I've done 2 years at UTSC and I'm going into my last year now. So I only have 2 years behind me and will have 3 when I graduate so I'm not eligible for dropping courses.

I guess Manitoba's out for me this cycle. Thanks for the help and good luck this yr!

^ Thanks Prateek. My issue is that I came directly into second year, skipping first year. So I've done 2 years at UTSC and I'm going into my last year now. So I only have 2 years behind me and will have 3 when I graduate so I'm not eligible for dropping courses.

I guess Manitoba's out for me this cycle. Thanks for the help and good luck this yr!

I think you're good.

Correct for students with a BSc(general).

But I'm assuming that you've done a 4-year Honors degree from UTSC? In that case, the next paragraph states that we can waive 12 of those hours, so it works out to being 6 credit hours of humanities/social sciences (i.e. 2 courses)

Ready to re-apply here as an OOP! Didn't get an interview last year...While my AGPA is above the median/mean, my MCAT score puts me at the minimum score for OOP acceptances last year, so here's hoping it works out somehow! (Though of course only 5 OOP students entered the class last year it appears) :)

Edit: Also, I wonder...what is the reason for inputting our activities into the application? According to this, they only seem to consider our GPA/MCAT/rural experience/academic appointment in the interview consideration

Here is the admissions statistics from last year from the website: http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/medicine/alumni/media/Class_2014_Stats_For_Website.pdf

To assess if you have any rural experiences I guess :S

I barely put anything down for volunteer experiences (~3?) but a couple of them were rural. But i have no idea if they played a part in getting me in

:S

Not like you need a lot of time to fill out the Manitoba application anyway. It, along with Saskatchewan if you're applying there, will be your shortest application.

That's good to know, thanks. Also I have HOW MANY other applications I can look at now, to help speed up other applications? ;)

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of applying to Manitoba and wanted to know how the coefficients affect the application weight. I know they increase the overall, but by a factor of how much or how little can they make a difference to an application score?

"The coefficient assigned to rural attributes results in a weighting factor of no greater than 13%."

"Very few applicants will achieve full rurality or full advanced academic weighting."

http://www.umanitoba.ca/student/admissions/media/medicine_bulletin.pdf

If you could pull off a 5-10% advantage, that is a significant edge over other applicants.

On the supplemental application form it asks which MCAT date we'd like to have considered. I have a test that's currently being graded. If I do better than on my other attempts, I'd like to use this most recent score, but if I do worse, I'd like to use my previous score. Any idea what should I put on the form?

You might be able to ask the admission office to consider a different score. They will probably look at your mcat transcript when you send in so I'm thinking you might be able to change it.

Archived