Premed 101 Forums

2012-2013 Applicant Thread

Hey createttea, you said if you are OOP and rural to definitely apply?

I was considering whether to apply or not because although my aGPA is 4.1, my MCAT is 11.7, which I thought was too low for an OOP to be competitive. However, I lived in a rural town (pop less than 10,000) for 15 years and one of my volunteer experiences since 2003 every summer is rural. So judging by what you said I should just spend the $95 and apply?

Hey guys. I just got my mcat scores back today and I'm wondering how competitive I'll be as a non-rural OOP.

12P 10V 14B S

3.99 OMSAS 2 year gpa, ~3.92 overall.

Looking at the stats my mcat is a bit under the mean acceptance for last year. If EC's don't count for much at Manitoba, do I have a fair chance?

That would be competitive for sure. It would qualify you for an interview at least :)

Hey guys. I just got my mcat scores back today and I'm wondering how competitive I'll be as a non-rural OOP.

12P 10V 14B S

3.99 OMSAS 2 year gpa, ~3.92 overall.

Looking at the stats my mcat is a bit under the mean acceptance for last year. If EC's don't count for much at Manitoba, do I have a fair chance?

Yes.

I'm almost sure you'll get an interview. At that stage just don't fail it and you stand a very good chance of getting in. I got in with low stats but sorta rural. So don't worry too much....and with stats like yours I'm sure you'll have a great chance across the country.

For the online application https://aurora.umanitoba.ca/banprod/twbkwbis.P_GenMenu?name=homepage

Do we click on Apply for Undergraduate Admission? :confused: because I don't see Faculty of Medicine anywhere (unless it falls under Faculty of Graduate studies?....)

Yep. Undergraduate admission and for faculty/program you should be able to find medicine or MD program

I'm going to post my same question here:

I have a paper that is submitted for publication (but not yet published) so I don't know the volume, page numbers of the paper. Would I still be able to include this under the Peer-Reviewed publication section of the supplementary application? Also, what about poster presentations at conferences? Can I include those under the Peer-Reviewed publication section?

I have a paper that is submitted for publication (but not yet published) so I don't know the volume, page numbers of the paper. Would I still be able to include this under the Peer-Reviewed publication section of the supplementary application? Also, what about poster presentations at conferences? Can I include those under the Peer-Reviewed publication section?

http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55754

Hi guys,

For the humanities/social science requirement, it is my understanding that if you are completing a non-general B.Sc, then you only need 6 credits (2 courses). So, if I have taken a total of 7 humanities/social science courses, should I list all 7 courses, or just pick my best 2?

I've done well on all 7, but I did slightly better on 2 of them, which is why I'm asking. Thanks!

Also,

For you rural applicants, how are you filling out the Rural Background page? For instance, my permanent residence is a rural place, but I attend university in a city. So, for "Do you currently reside in a rural area?", should I put Yes or No? I was thinking Yes, since I do normally live in the rural place, and I'm only here because there is no post-secondary institution at home. And if Yes, what would the date be? Application deadline?

Has your paper been accepted? I currently have a paper that is in it's sixth week of peer review (WHY CAN'T THEY JUST REVIEW WHEN THEY GET IT!?). My advisor says it is likely going to get accepted, but I didn't know before I submitted the supplemental application. I emailed them and asked if I could ammend my application in light of the paper being accepted. They emailed back and said no.

Has your paper been accepted? I currently have a paper that is in it's sixth week of peer review (WHY CAN'T THEY JUST REVIEW WHEN THEY GET IT!?). My advisor says it is likely going to get accepted, but I didn't know before I submitted the supplemental application. I emailed them and asked if I could ammend my application in light of the paper being accepted. They emailed back and said no.

Oops - totally forgot to follow up on this question. I contacted Jody from Admissions and this is what she said:

"Your publications need to have been published by Oct 7 in order for them to be used in this application process". Now, I included them anyways but wrote pending for all the other fields (ie: volume number, page number etc.). If the committee doesn't use them then oh well but I wanted to show that I actually did engage in scientific research and was productive in it.

• 2 weeks later...

So I sent in my supplemental application on Tuesday using an Expresspost which Canada Post supposedly "guarantees" to be delivered in two business days. The package was in Winnipeg by Wednesday morning. It however, was not delivered even though it said "Item processed at local delivery facility" Wednesday morning. I called Canada Post today only to find out that it wont be delivered until next Tuesday! I don't know what to do. Do you think Manitoba admissions will understand my situation? Should I call them?

So I sent in my supplemental application on Tuesday using an Expresspost which Canada Post supposedly "guarantees" to be delivered in two business days. The package was in Winnipeg by Wednesday morning. It however, was not delivered even though it said "Item processed at local delivery facility" Wednesday morning. I called Canada Post today only to find out that it wont be delivered until next Tuesday! I don't know what to do. Do you think Manitoba admissions will understand my situation? Should I call them?

You'll be fine; as long as you postmark it for October 7 at the latest, you're good to go. I sent mine yesterday. They say so on their bulletin.

Yes i saw that too but my envelope wasn't stamped when I sent it in...so no where on the envelope is it going to say that I sent it by the 4th even though it was an expresspost. Do you think it will matter?

At this point, there is nothing you can do. If you have anything, and I mean anything, that shows October 7 on it, like tracking information, then you're good to go. Call them ASAP on Monday, and straighten it out. For now, relax, enjoy the weekend.

Yes i saw that too but my envelope wasn't stamped when I sent it in...so no where on the envelope is it going to say that I sent it by the 4th even though it was an expresspost. Do you think it will matter?

It gets stamped at the post office before it gets sent off :)

Archived