Premed 101 Forums

recommend me an easy read novel please

nightsky

something not too long... i haven't touched a book (other than textbooks) for a looong time. i went to a library and didn't know where to start from. they were all nicely organized in alphabetically order and didn't know what to do :o

so if you had any good novel recently, and want to share, please do. or if you thought some book was a 'must-read in a life time' kind of thing, please let me know :P

something not too long... i haven't touched a book (other than textbooks) for a looong time. i went to a library and didn't know where to start from. they were all nicely organized in alphabetically order and didn't know what to do :o

so if you had any good novel recently, and want to share, please do. or if you thought some book was a 'must-read in a life time' kind of thing, please let me know :P

Yay! I get to play librarian :)

First off, there is an excellent thread on pm101 where readers have been suggesting novels they recommend:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33396&highlight=kill+the+tv

Take a look at that thread to see if you find anything of interest.

Now, to make our job a bit easier, could you tell us what kind of books are you interested in:

Fiction or non-fiction

Adventure

Fantasy

Memoir

Romance :cool:

Conspiracy :eek:

Local authors or best sellers

Graphic novels

If you pick a genre, then I have lots of recommendations up my sleeve. So, go ahead and tell us what sort of book you're in the mood to read!

cerena i like mystery/suspense books, any recomendations?

-no pretty little liars (every girl seems to love this show and/or book)

I don't watch Pretty Little Liars haha.

Here are my recommendations:

And then there were none by Agatha Christie.

The Godfather by Mario Puzo

Red Dragon by Thomas Harris

Any of Dan Brown's novels (I recommend Angels and Demons)

awwwww i am excited. it'd be like the first book since high school.

first, i would like to try fiction!

of the list that you have; i am up for adventure, no fantasy (they don't make sense to me), no memoir (no offence but sounds boring), yes romance lol, not sure about consipiracy, not attached to local authors nor any of the best sellers, and i didn't know there were graphic novels for adults... sure!

THANKS!

Yay! I get to play librarian :)

First off, there is an excellent thread on pm101 where readers have been suggesting novels they recommend:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33396&highlight=kill+the+tv

Take a look at that thread to see if you find anything of interest.

Now, to make our job a bit easier, could you tell us what kind of books are you interested in:

Fiction or non-fiction

Adventure

Fantasy

Memoir

Romance :cool:

Conspiracy :eek:

Local authors or best sellers

Graphic novels

If you pick a genre, then I have lots of recommendations up my sleeve. So, go ahead and tell us what sort of book you're in the mood to read!

awwwww i am excited. it'd be like the first book since high school.

first, i would like to try fiction!

of the list that you have; i am up for adventure, no fantasy (they don't make sense to me), no memoir (no offence but sounds boring), yes romance lol, not sure about consipiracy, not attached to local authors nor any of the best sellers, and i didn't know there were graphic novels for adults... sure!

THANKS!

Cool!

Here are some of my suggestions:

Treasure Island by Stevenson (easily the best adventure novel ever written - I love the classics)

Just like HBP suggested in the Kill the Tv thread, readers just love the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.

It's often hard to detach conspiracy from the latest adventure novels! For instance, I've heard great things about The Fourth Awakening.

In terms of romance, the Nicholas Sparks novels are definitely a crowd pleaser.

Sorry to rain on the fiction parade, but I'd like to throw a non-fiction book in because it's a very interesting read. It's easy to get into and keep reading as well.

In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts by Gabor Mate. Gabor Mate is a physician who works in the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver and he puts anecdotes together with research to show us some of the insights he has gathered from working with drug addicts.

I'm half way through the book right now.

Cerena, can you recommend a book with only pictures? :D Unfortunately, my readings are for the purpose of gaining information and knowledge. I find that education can make you less literate in reading for pleasure, when I try, I find myself scanning for information, the plot, etc. so it is not worth it,

Cerena, can you recommend a book with only pictures? :D Unfortunately, my readings are for the purpose of gaining information and knowledge. I find that education can make you less literate in reading for pleasure, when I try, I find myself scanning for information, the plot, etc. so it is not worth it,

A book with pictures, hey.

Have you tried graphic novels? Or manga? Some people might be turned away from manga for whatever reason, but I quite like to read it.

Otherwise, you might just love Life of Pi - the illustrated version. Actually, I'm sure you would love Life of Pi since you are an animal lover. It's not comprised solely of pictures, but it is illustrated beautifully.

Sounds like 21 no? Or whatever that movie was about counting cards.

that movie was very loosely based on the book. movie is kind of farfetched

edit: I want to add The Great Gatsby by Scott Fizgerald. Easy read, not too long, one of those MUST READ books!

If you like suspense, try The Secret History by Donna Tartt, it also happens to be about university students so it'll be easy to relate to. I read the ~500-page book in like 3 days a few years ago. http://www.amazon.ca/Secret-History-Donna-Tartt/dp/1400031702/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313633633&sr=8-1

For a grown-up graphic novel, I'd recommend Special Exits by Joyce Farmer. It's about caring for elderly relatives. I'm really not the graphic novel type, but I've enjoyed it so much, I've been recommending it to people a fair bit, especially those who deal with the elderly often (either as a family caregiver or a healthcare provider). It's very touching. http://www.amazon.ca/Special-Exits-Memoir-Joyce-Farmer/dp/160699381X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1313633745&sr=1-1

that movie was very loosely based on the book. movie is kind of farfetched

edit: I want to add The Great Gatsby by Scott Fizgerald. Easy read, not too long, one of those MUST READ books!

I also recommend The Great Gatsby its an easy read and enjoyable but it also makes you ponder about society lol

For a grown-up graphic novel, I'd recommend Special Exits by Joyce Farmer. It's about caring for elderly relatives. I'm really not the graphic novel type, but I've enjoyed it so much, I've been recommending it to people a fair bit, especially those who deal with the elderly often (either as a family caregiver or a healthcare provider). It's very touching. http://www.amazon.ca/Special-Exits-Memoir-Joyce-Farmer/dp/160699381X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1313633745&sr=1-1

Thanks for this suggestion :)

hi cerena, are these easy read?:P

Cool!

Here are some of my suggestions:

Treasure Island by Stevenson (easily the best adventure novel ever written - I love the classics)

Just like HBP suggested in the Kill the Tv thread, readers just love the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.

It's often hard to detach conspiracy from the latest adventure novels! For instance, I've heard great things about The Fourth Awakening.

In terms of romance, the Nicholas Sparks novels are definitely a crowd pleaser.

hi cerena, are these easy read?:P

Nicholas Sparks is definitely an easy to read author!

One thing I like to do often before signing out a book is to get suggestions from others. Then, because I'm at home and want to spend time learning about the books before going to the library, I'll go to amazon.com, type in the book title, and will look up a summary. Sometimes they'll even have a book preview, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/True-Believer-Nicholas-Sparks/dp/0446532436

I haven't read the fire and ice series, but others just love it.

Treasure Island is all about the sea and treasure (I wish I were a pirate :D ). It has a lot of figurative language, a lot of "pirate language" :

e.g. "Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum!"

"Fetch aft the rum, Darby!"

I think it's a lot of fun to read, about 223 pages long. And, it makes you feel like a pirate.

Sorry to rain on the fiction parade, but I'd like to throw a non-fiction book in because it's a very interesting read. It's easy to get into and keep reading as well.

In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts by Gabor Mate. Gabor Mate is a physician who works in the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver and he puts anecdotes together with research to show us some of the insights he has gathered from working with drug addicts.

I'm half way through the book right now.

I'm going to go and pick this one up tonight! Thanks for the recommendation :)

Archived