Premed 101 Forums

Demographics in Medical School

From what I've seen medical school composition with regards to race/nationality seems to be:

40% White 35% Asian 20% Brown 5% Other

Is this somewhat accurate?

Maybe in ONT but as Mith said, the central provinces, eastern provinces and Manitoba have higher demographics of Caucasian and Aboriginal (from my travels at least). However, it's really more of the general population in the region anyway that accounts for the trend.

Define "Brown".

Very good question. Siblings in families can have different shadings or skin tone.

http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/dermatology/fr/brownskin.htm

there is no one type of skin of color. Among individual women of color, the amount of melanin varies dramatically, so that a woman with an abundance of melanin will have deep chocolate-brown skin tone, while a woman with less melanin will have vanilla skin tone. There are numerous shades -- an estimated thirty-five shades among women of African descent.

From what I've seen medical school composition with regards to race/nationality seems to be:

40% White 35% Asian 20% Brown 5% Other

Is this somewhat accurate?

This does not seem to be the composition of student I see at UofT Meds. There are probably more asians than whites..

yeah, but if you're "brown" i can see being offended by being lumped in with arab, non-arab, indian, pakistani people etc... some of those guys really don't like each other (i.e. the indian-pakistani thing (please don't be offended :confused:)...

Not really. It's a pompous response; everyone understood what the OP meant.

yeah, but if you're "brown" i can see being offended by being lumped in with arab, non-arab, indian, pakistani people etc... some of those guys really don't like each other (i.e. the indian-pakistani thing (please don't be offended :confused:)...

Some people need thicker skin then.

And as a Caucasian male, I don't like being lumped with rednecks, homophobes, random Norwegian murderers...

It was an unnecessary derail that took away from what would have probably been an interesting thread.

UBC Med 2012 is about:

50% White, 35% Asian (mostly Chinese), and 15% brown (East Indian and Middle Eastern)

I went through UBC's class profile of 2014 and this is what I tallied based on visible characteristics and names:

White - 136 (53%)

Asian - 73 (29%)

Brown - 37 (14%)

Other (Black, Hispanic, Native, etc.) - 10 (4%)

So yeah, Dongzhuo was pretty accurate.

I should add this is similar to the demographics of Metro Vancouver, but not BC as a whole. BC as a whole has a far higher percentage of whites.

Demographics of Alberta as a province back in 2006:

13.9% visible minorities, 5.8% Aboriginal, 80% not visible minorities or Aboriginal

Out of the 13.9% visible minorities, 3+% each are South Asian and Chinese, ~1.5% each Black and Filipino, and less than 1% for Southeast Asian or Latino.

For Aboriginal populations, it's about half Metis and half North American Indian

The stats for City of Edmonton are fairly similar, except for percentage of visible minorities is 20+%, so a bit higher

(as per Wikipedia, 2006 census)

Approximate demographics in our class:

~30% visible minorities, predominantly South Asian and East Asian, but every ethnic group mentioned in the census is represented

~70% white

So our class is more diverse than a cross-section of the Alberta average, and fairly similar to the ethnic make-up of our city.

Of course, diversity doesn't just stop at ethnic backgrounds, and while medical students tend to be an ethnically/racially diverse group, the same cannot be said for socioeconomic diversity. You'd have difficulty finding more than a few individuals who are, for example, the first in their family to pursue post-secondary education.

Interesting.

Don't Ontario schools have more Asians and Browns? It seems that way with the people I know who are med students.

Oh and just out of curiosity is there any type of quota that exists? Like schools wanting a diverse population (or not wanting it) for whatever reason.

Unless you're talking about geographic/aboriginal positive affirmation, no there shouldn't be (or at least they aren't explicit about it).

Archived