Premed 101 Forums

General doctor = Family doctor?

Guest JustAnotherStudent

Guest JustAnotherStudent

Thank you for the information. Is Family medicine under shortage or surplus now and in the future? :)

I am interested in become a general/family doctor, but i think most people gonna choose FM since it is highly popular recently

There is a very important shortage (just think about the number of people who don't have a family doc). If you eventually choose that road you won't have any problem getting a residency spot.

although there is some evidence that shortage is raw terms will end in the near future (according to the lastest analysis by the OMA and Ontario government). Distrubtion of doctors remains a serious issue :)

I mistakenly thought that a GP has shorter residency time than a FP. Thanks for your info ;)

That's the US, where you can become a GP after the internship year (something that doesn't exist in Canada) and where Family Medicine residency is 3 or 4 years.

BTW, I don't know about other provinces, but FM is a speciality in Quebec.

That's the US, where you can become a GP after the internship year (something that doesn't exist in Canada) and where Family Medicine residency is 3 or 4 years.

FM is a specialty all over.

Just some people don't think it's a specialty :P

I know some residencies in the US require 1 year of the rotating internship but I THINK that you'd still have to do a residency after this internship.

Archived