Premed 101 Forums

Fatigue- for sports-minded people on this forum

kylamonkey

Interesting and quite possible.

In men, when they are overtrained (numerous factors account for this) their tesosterone levels plummet so for a particular situation where this was happening, i'd agree with fatigue being biochemical.

Actually come to think of it, i'd wager most fatigue (not just the im tired from a 30min run that most will claim as being fatigued) is biochemical. Few instances are mechanically related.

Interesting perspective.

See, from my perspective I think about fatigue after a 10-hr run. If I've fueled properly (had complex sugars like maltodextrin, enough water, and the proper balance of electrolytes) I'm still good to go. If not- I'll be dizzy and trowing up and pissed off.

That said, there's a certain point on, like, day 3 of a 6-day race where no amount of proper nutrition planning is going to change that your legs are just tired.

interestingly enough it may be... i'll take a brain based look at it and say we also have to look at "perceptions of fatigue" versus actual muscle fatigue... almost like giving morphine to someone with a broken leg...

one of the side effects of the amphetamines can be increased aggressiveness, competitiveness, anger, persistence, obsession (say to finnish a race), and a suppression of pain perception, via enkephalinss and other endogenous opiates may be seen in people with type a personality types, or people trained to be this way, like they're naturally "dopamined-up" all the time because of their habits, beliefs about themselves, competitive environment etc.

Fatigue can be emotional, mental and physical, one alone or a combo when exerting yourself in a strenuous physical activity. I know what I am capable of and never let fatigue get in the way of achieving the particular goal I have set. Don't know if this is relevant to the discussion you are seeking.

interestingly enough it may be... i'll take a brain based look at it and say we also have to look at "perceptions of fatigue" versus actual muscle fatigue... almost like giving morphine to someone with a broken leg...

one of the side effects of the amphetamines can be increased aggressiveness, competitiveness, anger, persistence, obsession (say to finnish a race), and a suppression of pain perception, via enkephalinss and other endogenous opiates may be seen in people with type a personality types, or people trained to be this way, like they're naturally "dopamined-up" all the time because of their habits, beliefs about themselves, competitive environment etc.

That's so interesting! Thnx muse :)

Your last line is a bit telling. I wonder how much of that training actually boils down to biochemical patterns in the brain. What we call 'training' can be summarised as changes in receptor and neurotransmitter expression over time through feedback loops. I suspect at least half of central command fatigue (what you're describing) is still biochemical. The rest, well, we still don't know the brain well enough to say.

I do completely agree with your statement, I just wanted to blab a little. Basically, attributing a portion of fatigue to neurology is still biochemical rather than mechanical.

Archived