Premed 101 Forums

Rumor/Speculation: UWO second degree policy modification

Yeah I agree that the 3/5 rule is pretty ridiculous, because in order to get my degree, I took 21 credits and had no electives....I had no choice in what level of courses I took....you take the ones required for the degree....

Western currently has this posted:

Applicants who embark on a second undergraduate degree program are allowed to apply only during the final year of their new program. In order to be considered for GPA purposes, the second degree must be an honors degree or equivalent. In this situation, GPA consideration will be based only on the two best years of the second degree program. Applicants who are given a conditional offer must complete all program requirements for the second degree prior to registration in the MD program. Students who complete a second undergraduate degree within one year of full-time studies must register in five full or equivalent courses. In this situation, at least three of the five courses must be at the third- or fourth-year level, and first- and second-year courses that do not require a first-year prerequisite may be included within the five full courses only if absolutely mandatory for the second honors degree program.

So it sounds like the 3/5 rule might only be for 1 year second degree programs and not 2 or more?

A one year second degree program is pretty close to a special year. That has to be a pretty rare case - most place require at least 10 credits extra to extend a new degree :)

Where is this ruomor of second degree modification coming from? There has been no obvious change as far as I know (yet?).

I always suggest everyone lets the office their complete plans for their second degree and have them confirm it would work. This is just a matter of logical approach I think.

I was hoping you'd join in on this thread :P

That's exactly what I did when I was selecting courses for my current degree (Nutrition at UWO). I got a potential schedule from my academic advisor, then checked with Schulich to make sure it would be acceptable. I also asked them about the potential changes to the policy, which I read about on this site last summer. They neither confirmed nor denied it, but told me that if my program requires these courses I should be fine. I was also told that I could appeal it if it made me ineligible, as long as my program was willing to confirm that my course selection was mandatory for my degree.

Not too sure where the "discourage 1st year courses" came from. It worries me because I have two 1st year courses right now. I tried checking out Schulich's 2nd degree policy from the stickied thread, but I can't access it without a Schulich login.

I was hoping you'd join in on this thread :P

That's exactly what I did when I was selecting courses for my current degree (Nutrition at UWO). I got a potential schedule from my academic advisor, then checked with Schulich to make sure it would be acceptable. I also asked them about the potential changes to the policy, which I read about on this site last summer. They neither confirmed nor denied it, but told me that if my program requires these courses I should be fine. I was also told that I could appeal it if it made me ineligible, as long as my program was willing to confirm that my course selection was mandatory for my degree.

Not too sure where the "discourage 1st year courses" came from. It worries me because I have two 1st year courses right now. I tried checking out Schulich's 2nd degree policy from the stickied thread, but I can't access it without a Schulich login.

13. What if I already have an undergraduate degree but am working towards or have recently completed a second undergraduate degree?

Students who already have one undergraduate degree and are working towards, or have recently completed, a second degree are not eligible to apply before the final year of their program, which must be an Honors Degree or equivalent program. Three out of 5 full or equivalent courses taken in each of the upper years of the second degree program must be senior-level courses. GPA consideration is based on the two best years of the second degree program only. Applicants who receive a conditional offer of admission must complete all second degree program requirements prior to registration in the M.D. program. (Approved by the Medicine Admissions Committee, May 2008)

that is actually no different than the first degree - the upper years of that degree must also have 3/5 senior courses. If you somehow compress the degree to less than 4 years it get very hard actually NOT to hit the 3/5 rule and follow their schedule - a lot of standard programs require X 3/4 year courses and you only have 3 years to fit them in.

13. What if I already have an undergraduate degree but am working towards or have recently completed a second undergraduate degree?

Students who already have one undergraduate degree and are working towards, or have recently completed, a second degree are not eligible to apply before the final year of their program, which must be an Honors Degree or equivalent program. Three out of 5 full or equivalent courses taken in each of the upper years of the second degree program must be senior-level courses. GPA consideration is based on the two best years of the second degree program only. Applicants who receive a conditional offer of admission must complete all second degree program requirements prior to registration in the M.D. program. (Approved by the Medicine Admissions Committee, May 2008)

that is actually no different than the first degree - the upper years of that degree must also have 3/5 senior courses. If you somehow compress the degree to less than 4 years it get very hard actually NOT to hit the 3/5 rule and follow their schedule - a lot of standard programs require X 3/4 year courses and you only have 3 years to fit them in.

OK perfect. There have been no changes then :D I should be fine with my current schedule then. I have two 1000-level courses and three 2000-level courses, which would be considered senior-level. Thanks rmorelan!

OK perfect. There have been no changes then :D I should be fine with my current schedule then. I have two 1000-level courses and three 2000-level courses, which would be considered senior-level. Thanks rmorelan!

3rd and 4th year year courses are generally the senior ones, but are you even in a senior year yet in your second degree?

3rd and 4th year year courses are generally the senior ones, but are you even in a senior year yet in your second degree?

I was under the impression that 2000-level courses were also considered senior. From the stickied thread (the source is the dead link):

Second degree only for GPA calc; all years; GPA calculated from 2 full-time years of study (Sep-Apr) - 5 full courses/only 1 pass-fail course per year. Second degree must be "honours degree or equivalent" and the requirement that 3.0/5.0 credits be at the senior level or above (2000 - 4999) courses.

I'm not sure what "senior level" in a degree means at this point, especially for a second degree. It's going to take me 2 years to complete. This year is my first, and my courses were pretty much given to me by my advisor. I've been taking all the necessary pre-requisites for upper year courses. I even got special permission to take some 2nd year courses concurrently with their 1st year prereq's.

EDIT: This link also says that "senior level" means 2000-4999: http://www.westerncalendar.uwo.ca/2011/pg108.html

I'm not sure if you're summarizing the info in the stickies and provided in this thread, or if you've gotten some information on policy changes. Could you please clarify?

hey mikeb88, it's only from my interpretation from the above threads ;)

if upper years and senior-level courses are both second-year and up, it sounds like that a second-degree third-year student (due to one full year of unrelated electives transfer credits) can enroll in for example 3 second-year courses and 2 first-year courses and have the year considered; whereas a first-degree third-year student can not.

Archived