Premed 101 Forums

*Switched courses, inform the med school?

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*t

Date:***12/22/2000 1:12 pm*PST

Hi. I switched a course next semester (one biology elective credit for another)and was wondering if I'd have to send updated transcripts or a letter stating the change to the med schools I've applied to? thanks & merry xmas

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong, MS2

Date:***12/23/2000 0:43 am*PST

I don't think so.

At this point, the med schools are looking for reasons to invite you to an interview. They will do this using a combination of one, a few, or all of the following:

1) GPA

2) MCAT score

3) Personal Essays/Biography

4) Letters of References

They will NOT be selecting these interviewees based on courses that you haven't even started taking. About the only reason that they would care, is if you switched out of a medical school pre-requisite in the Spring 2001 semester, or now are under the minimum amount of undergraduate credits needed to enter that medical school. If you did that, and had no plans to take an equivalent course, they'd probably reject your application. Since you're describing an equivalent Bio elective, this isn't the case for yourself.

So, I wouldn't worry. At this point, rest assured that the admissions committees of all the schools you've applied to are running around frantically compiling their interviewees list. Sending them a letter/updated transcript will do nothing either positively or negatively for you, as they won't change the above four criteria.

In April, you will have to send them an updated transcript with your Spring 2001 marks, but you can jump that hoop when you get to it.

Ian

Can, MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Jase

Date:***12/23/2000 2:58 am*PST

Problem.

Can someone give me advice on this?

I just finished my first semester of my third year. One of my marks came out (for anatomy) and it's not so hot. I thought I did very well on this (90+), but it came out to be in the 70s!

Now, assuming I jump all the hoops and ace my interviews in the spring, will this mark affect my chances? I understand that in the end, I will have to send in my final transcripts for them to evaluate my *current* year performance with regards to the previous years (year 1 and year 2).

Ugh... very depressed about this. It's one thing to not study and do poorly, and it's quite another to study (then think you have it aced, even after the exam), then to get a low mark.

Good luck everyone else

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong, MS2

Date:***12/28/2000 2:20 pm*PST

Hmm,

I must have missed this message. Getting a B or C isn't going to hose you. About the only way that a course that you're currently taking while simultaneously applying to med school could kill your application is if you failed it, and needed it as a pre-requisite.

Of course, getting a bad mark isn't going to look good on the transcript, but I'd still say it's the exception in med school for med students to have flawless "nothing but 90's" transcripts. Most people who get in have a blemish or two on the transcript. Usually the ones that mess people up are the first year courses like Physics or English, or ridiculous second year courses like Organic Chemistry (still waiting to see Orgo relevance in med school 1.5 years into it...).

In any case, there isn't anything you can do about it at this point. Keep your chin up, read up for your interviews, and do your best.

Ian

Can, MS2

Archived