Premed 101 Forums

5th year

Guest red like blood

Guest red like blood

IF I decide to do a 5th year, should I graduate and finish my degree after 4th yr and then just do a 5th year not twrds my degree.. or not graduate after 4th and just spread out my degree so that I graduate after 5th year? I'm a little confused by how some of the schools view this.

thanks

Guest bioboy2007

have you considered pursuing a combined degree/double major? at my school, these take at least five years to complete, but provide you with two separate degrees upon completion. you would need to graduate from both at the same time, however.

Guest peachy
or not graduate after 4th and just spread out my degree so that I graduate after 5th year?
I think it's generally better not to graduate and to do the fifth year within your current degree. That way you don't have to deal with various "special student" policies, and you're treated exactly like any other undergrad.

Guest red like blood

I see.. so I could just do my degree that is normally 4 years, over 5 years taking a full course load each year?

do the admissions committee look upon that in a negative light.. since I would take 1 extra year longer than most to complete a degree that should take 4 years?

I was thinking of throwing in a minor in there to add to my degree if I take 5 yrs.

Guest scrubbed

Hi there,

I think the main thing is how you frame it. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with taking a five years to complete an undergrad degree.

When you are asked why you took, for example, a psychology minor along with a human biology major, you could say that psychology interests you and that you could apply your study of human behaviour to improve the care of future patients.

Archived