Premed 101 Forums

Reference: Employer (boss) vs Shadowing doctor?

Guest JustAnotherStudent

Guest JustAnotherStudent

Hello,

I just wonder between a LOF from my boss at the dental clinic whom know me almost 2 years (I work part time as a dental assistant to pay off my tuition fees while at school) and one from the doctor that i shadowed this summer (86 hours, since this June) which one would weight heavier from the medical school application?

Both of them said they are willing to give me a good LOF

:confused:

There are pro and cons between the two, and I dunno which one is better

Guest JustAnotherStudent

Thanks for your feed backs, I also think that a person whom know me for 2 years would have a better understanding on my personality and ability. I just dunno if the medical schools would prefer a LOF from a M.D since it would be closer to the field than a part time job at a dental clinic :)

btw, do you think adcom would take it negatively seeing that I work at a dental clinic? I heard rumors that med school don't like seeing dental experiences ... just rumors from the premed group :confused:

Thanks for your feed backs, I also think that a person whom know me for 2 years would have a better understanding on my personality and ability. I just dunno if the medical schools would prefer a LOF from a M.D since it would be closer to the field than a part time job at a dental clinic :)

btw, do you think adcom would take it negatively seeing that I work at a dental clinic? I heard rumors that med school don't like seeing dental experiences ... just rumors from the premed group :confused:

An MD does not impress. It is about having a credible person strongly advocate for your admission, indicating how they know you, how long and your traits that they have seen, giving examples.

Working in a dental clinic is fine, moreover, it is healthcare. If asked at an interview why there, you can explain working for a MD waqsimpossible and as you were interested in a healthcare career, either dentistry or med and you wanted to check it, from which you obtained enhancement of many skills - communication, time management, collaboration, administration; and you showed compassion etc to patients.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JustAnotherStudent
holy how on earth did you get to shadow for 86 hours as a premed ?!?!? This is quite shocking haha

you can contact the MD whom I shadowed to confirm too, if you feel the need :)

It is quite shocking too as a medical student posted something like this :) I am sure you will become an awesome doctor with great understanding and sensitivity for your patients one day.

It is quite shocking too as a medical student posted something like this :) I am sure you will become an awesome doctor with great understanding and sensitivity for your patients one day.

Actually, I just think they're shocked because technically speaking, due to doctor-patient confidentiality, unless you're a medical student, you're not supposed to be allowed to shadow a doctor. Especially in a hospital setting. So I just think that that person was just surprised you were able to. Clinic I'm assuming, yes? Generally that's easier than shadowing in a hospital setting as their rules are much stricter...

This must be the strangest comment I have read in quite a while. In fact, I am taking 10 minutes out of my CaRMS application to reply. As other posters have also stated, it is quite rare for pre-meds to shadow physicians. One is simply due to patient-doctor confidentiality, and second is simply that premeds do not gain that much in this kind of setting (except for, perhaps, a nice letter of reference stating how "keen" they were from the physician in question). Your snide and strange remarks were crude and really calls into question your skills in reading comprehension. I was in no way suggesting that you were lying or making things up, and frankly I do not care one iota about your applications to medicine. I don't know you. What's more inflammatory about your comment is how you linked my comment, which you misconstrued in the first place, sarcastically to how I will be unable to understand and be sensitive to my patients. I am comfortable with my clinical skills, and know that I will be an excellent and caring physician in a few months. Your attack was mean spirited and frankly ignorant, since you do not know me at all.

What is more concerning and disconcerting, however; is how easily roused you are and how easy it is for you to attack other people viciously based on the slightest provocation. This is quite dangerous for our profession, as many patients might not be in the best of moods when they are sick and need to seek the help of a health care provider. Our jobs is to be pleasant and not easily offended.

This must be the strangest comment I have read in quite a while. In fact, I am taking 10 minutes out of my CaRMS application to reply. As other posters have also stated, it is quite rare for pre-meds to shadow physicians. One is simply due to patient-doctor confidentiality, and second is simply that premeds do not gain that much in this kind of setting (except for, perhaps, a nice letter of reference stating how "keen" they were from the physician in question). Your snide and strange remarks were crude and really calls into question your skills in reading comprehension. I was in no way suggesting that you were lying or making things up, and frankly I do not care one iota about your applications to medicine. I don't know you. What's more inflammatory about your comment is how you linked my comment, which you misconstrued in the first place, sarcastically to how I will be unable to understand and be sensitive to my patients. I am comfortable with my clinical skills, and know that I will be an excellent and caring physician in a few months. Your attack was mean spirited and frankly ignorant, since you do not know me at all.

What is more concerning and disconcerting, however; is how easily roused you are and how easy it is for you to attack other people viciously based on the slightest provocation. This is quite dangerous for our profession, as many patients might not be in the best of moods when they are sick and need to seek the help of a health care provider. Our jobs is to be pleasant and not easily offended.

SCHOOOOOOLED!

But seriously, why in the hell did you shadow for 86 hours... I mean I'm in 2nd year med and even I don't have that much time shadowing doctors (and I don't think I need it either). I mean what do you do when you are shadowing this doctor lol? I guess 2-3 hours or maybe more can be accounted for by simple curiosity, but after that, there's not much else for you as a premed to do.

Guest JustAnotherStudent
SCHOOOOOOLED!

But seriously, why in the hell did you shadow for 86 hours... I mean I'm in 2nd year med and even I don't have that much time shadowing doctors (and I don't think I need it either). I mean what do you do when you are shadowing this doctor lol? I guess 2-3 hours or maybe more can be accounted for by simple curiosity, but after that, there's not much else for you as a premed to do.

Well, the MD whom I shadowed told me that she doesn't mind having a premed to shadow, and I could do it as long as I want ... so, I simply tanked for 3 weeks (I did it after finishing my summer courses in Aug, and basically have quite some spare time)

you are awesome, i have nothing to reply :)

Archived