Premed 101 Forums

Stethoscope hurts my ears!!!

what kind do you have? i found that, paradoxically, switching to the hard plastic earpieces made my stethoscope way more comfortable. and of course, when i realized i had bought a steth that didn't work for me at all and switched from my littman cardio iii to my new welch allyn (adjustable arms!), it was even more comfortable (and i can actually hear things now too, which is a bonus).

Is there anything you can do about your new stethoscope that pushes against your ear canal way too tightly? Can you bend the metal parts to loosen the tension? Will it break? Thanks.

You can bend them on a littman card II (not sure about the card III though)

what kind do you have? i found that, paradoxically, switching to the hard plastic earpieces made my stethoscope way more comfortable. and of course, when i realized i had bought a steth that didn't work for me at all and switched from my littman cardio iii to my new welch allyn (adjustable arms!), it was even more comfortable (and i can actually hear things now too, which is a bonus).

Sweet. I got the welch allyn elite. Probably the same model as yours. How should I make that more comfortable? I don't think I can stand more than 1 minute of that thing in my ears right now given how much pressure the prongs exert. Thanks.

Yeah I made sure I pointed them in the right direction with the angle pointing away from me. Perhaps I just have to break them in. Thanks for the advice though.

I had the same problem with mine at first (litman cardiology III), but between using it more and spending some time stretching the earpieces apart with my hands its much much better now.

you can really ream on a stethoscope's arms without worrying about breaking it. try stretching the arms away from each other, and also try adjusting the angle of the arms. i found changing the angle of the arms made a huge difference in comfort and in how well i hear with it. also, like others have said, try changing the earpieces to see if another type suits you better.

Archived