Premed 101 Forums

sleep...

Guest JRT

I was just wondering, how many hours of sleep do you guys get on average per night? Many have said that undergrad is quite similar to meds in that respect. Please state if your are an undergrad or in med school, I think it will be interesting to see the differences if there are any. If any of you have crazy sleeping patterns, please share your experiences as well. I'm only in my first semester of my first year of undergrad and I'm already complaining!!! *_~

Guest not rex morgan

Yeah. I am in first year med and get about 5 and a half to 6 hours sleep a night. It's not the workload, it's that classes start at 8:00, and I just can't sleep before midnight. I'd work on the sleep pattern if I were you. Don't turn out like me.

Guest Akane200

When I was in undergrad, I had 9-10 hours of sleep every night.

I was getting 7-8 hrs/weeknight last year.

I was clocking 7hrs/nite last term, and recently it became 6 hr/night. I do, however, get 12-13 hrs/night on the weekends to make up for it. :P

Yeah, bad study habits turned me into this. Too lazy early in the term, and now I'm desperately working to meet deadlines. Oh well. I also recently discovered caffienated drinks that keeps me awake.

Guest bad hombre

2nd year undergrad... i sleep around 6-7 hours every night... plus another 1 or so in lecture :P. well it's because i have my DAT coming up soon plus i do other stuff apart from study... :P

Guest gucio93

First year med - about 6-7hr/night. Again, not the workload. I like staying up late and unfortunately have no choice but to get up early in the morning so as not to miss out on the "wealth of knowledge" awaiting me at school ;)

Guest strider2004

Usually sleep at 1-2. Get up at 7:16, so 5-6h a night. On weekends I get about 8. I've found that I'm getting older rnow(heh, 23) so I need closer to 7h of sleep if I don't want to sleep in class. I need coffee too. I didn't need that in undergrad.

Guest Ian Wong

Third year med. Usually between 5-7 hours of sleep a night; 6 is typical. When you're on call, that could be anywhere from absolutely zero sleep to the above 5-7 hours if you're super-lucky that day.

I didn't used to be able to survive on 6 hours of sleep, but somehow your body adjusts to lesser amounts of sleep if you deprive it enough! I don't drink coffee, although I DID recently discover a source of caffeinated mints locally here. :)

Ian

UBC, Med 3

3rd year undergrad. 9 hours normally (even more on weekends! hehe), but since I usually have to do last minute studying before tests/exams, around these times I can get as little as 3 or 4...

2nd year undergrad. average amount of sleep on weekdays is about 6.5 hrs. if i have an exam coming up, about 4. and that's not 100% due to bad study habits... i find i can't sleep the night before a test. a fine example of this was my recent physiology midterm... i tossed and turned all night and by the time i got to the exam i was so wiped (0 hrs of sleep) that you would have thought i was living on another planet... my mark totally reflected that too (slow thinking!). Anyone else find exams this stressful?

Archived