Premed 101 Forums

Question for McMaster students - kids during school

My opinion would be the same towards your friends too, Muse. I apologize if you feel I'm being insensitive, but these spots are very limited. It is selfish IMO if you go into med knowing you're not going to complete. It takes away from people who are dying to have that spot and run with it and make good use of their training.

I dont want to leave med, but I would not feel guilty at all in doing so. Honestly, explain to me why I should give a **** AT ALL that some pre-med didnt get my spot? Maybe they should have been smart enough to be one place ahead of me in the admission ratings rather than one place behind me!

Honestly, when I got admitted into med school, thats all it was...admitted into MED SCHOOL. I feel no "obligation" per se to practice/stay in canada/help society at all. I just got admitted TO MED SCHOOL! Really really find it strange that premeds think I would care that they find this distasteful lol

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont want to leave med, but I would not feel guilty at all in doing so. Honestly, explain to me why I should give a **** AT ALL that some pre-med didnt get my spot? Maybe they should have been smart enough to be one place ahead of me in the admission ratings rather than one place behind me!

Honestly, when I got admitted into med school, thats all it was...admitted into MED SCHOOL. I feel no "obligation" per se to practice/stay in canada/help society at all. I just got admitted TO MED SCHOOL! Really really find it strange that premeds think I would care that they find this distasteful lol

The argument's already been presented about the potentially lost service that the other applicant would likely have provided. You may not agree with this argument, but don't act like it doesn't exist. Further, just because those "premeds" choose to engage in this discussion, it doesn't mean that their statements were directed specifically at you or that they thought you would care. Get off your high horse.

Maybe it's just me but I feel as though there should be a requirement to practise a certain length of time in Canada if someone is Canadian and doing their schooling in Canada. Taxpayers subsidize a significant portion of medical schooling therefore we're owed that body for a period of time until we've recouped our investment.

Maybe it's just me but I feel as though there should be a requirement to practise a certain length of time in Canada if someone is Canadian and doing their schooling in Canada. Taxpayers subsidize a significant portion of medical schooling therefore we're owed that body for a period of time until we've recouped our investment.

Not just you but a friend of mine, who is a doctor, made a good point recently. He said that even though the taxpayers subsidize a significant portion of med school for docs, the docs sort of end up reimbursing the system during their residency. He was making the argument that working 50+ hours per week for not much money is allowing the system to save money by not hiring more attending physicians. I thought it was an interesting argument.

Not just you but a friend of mine, who is a doctor, made a good point recently. He said that even though the taxpayers subsidize a significant portion of med school for docs, the docs sort of end up reimbursing the system during their residency. He was making the argument that working 50+ hours per week for not much money is allowing the system to save money by not hiring more attending physicians. I thought it was an interesting argument.

Yeah true, that could be a valid point yet in my mind how else is someone going to get that training because the reality is, its still "education" where the taxpayers are basically paying to train them to do their job so you can, potentially, up and leave the country once fully trained.

Ha I suppose I am too naive.

I always thought that most medical students/residents/doctors expressed a certain level of benevolence, selflessness, and commitment to their community. Instead it seems from reading this thread that this group is a minority, and most are largely self-centered.

Yeah cause they're human beings

Ha I suppose I am too naive.

I always thought that most medical students/residents/doctors expressed a certain level of benevolence, selflessness, and commitment to their community. Instead it seems from reading this thread that this group is a minority, and most are largely self-centered.

I'm sorry but yea...its naive. Doctors are allowed to take care of themselves first.

Archived