Premed 101 Forums

I have Master's in Information Systems Management

Guest Jordan

Hi,

I have completed my Master's in Information Systems Management and have a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration. I was wondering if anyone out there has such similar qualifications and gotten into med school. I realise now that my personality does not fit this profession. I want to do medicine now but how much of my background would be a hindrance or a positive factor with the admission committee. Can someone comment. Or does it not matter. Does it after all depend on the spin you give it?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi Jordan,

I would start by thinking that your background shouldn't be a hindrance at all, if coupled with some solid evidence as to why you'd now like to get into a medical career. Additionally, if you check out some stats, e.g., those of the successful UBC 2000 applicants posted on their website, there is someone on there with an MBA, which is not that much of a deviation from your background.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hi Jordan,

I am not in yet either, but am applying next year. I have an undergrad BBA (Economics) and an MBA (Finance) and worked for quite a few years in investment banking and have also taught business. I can't see how your background could possibly be a detriment, as long as you have completed the science requirements and done fairly well with them.

When I am asked (assuming I get to the interview stage) why medicine now and why not before, I will not present my life story as a "wrong path taken". In other words, I believe I've always had the desire to pursue medicine, but had other interests as well, and those decisions that affected my earlier career path have also helped make me who I am now. I am now someone who really knows what motivates me (not money! I'de make more staying in investment banking...), I have great multi-tasking skills (trading room environment), I perform pretty well under stress, I am fairly decisive but not a major risk taker, and I have tons more emotional and life maturity now than when I was 20 (I'm 36, married, 3 kids).

I suggest that you view your past career history less in terms of jobs and more in terms of transferable skills for Medicine. Many of them (people skills, time mgmnt, etc) are needed for both.

Good luck!

Thank to both of you for shedding some light on my situation. I appreciate your sharing of personal stories. Gives me better perspective on my decision. Information systems is a great field to be in. But after working for two years I have realised that I am not actually cut out for this field. The office politics, bickering, one up manship and cut throat competition has not made this field the el dorado that people imagine (not as bad as being a criminal lawyer but still its not within my threshold). Recession hits this field the worst also. Anyway I guess why I want to be in this field is primarily for two reasons. First because it is such a humane profession that brings the best in you. Compassion. Altruism. Care for others. It is a profession that touches peoples lives in so many positive ways. The reward of a alleviating physical suffering from people's lives is so satisfying. Secondly I think it is a pretty secure profession-come recession or boom. I won't become a millionaire but I won't die a pauper either. I have received positive reinforcements from your comments. Although I still have qualms about such a big switch. The huge uncertainty about the whole affair. The debt after the six years ( I don't have a decent savings account to support myself ). The social life you would miss upon (I am 27 right now and single). I want to have a family but with medicine I will have to postpone it further. I want to believe life is a journey and not a destination. But sometimes it is so hard to convince yourself.

I better get to bed now. On a positive note guys let us strive for our dreams. Sail ahead ahoy!!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi Jordan,

You're most welcome, but a couple of quick things. Perhaps those more closely in the know can provide some insight into this, but from my experience there aren't too many professions or organizations (including the medical field) that can escape the blush of politics. (Watching some episodes of ER and George Clooney's arm-wrestlings with some of the dudes on wards above him may help to provide a wee meds-specific taste.) Also, from some of my friends and family members who currently work in the field, they are no strangers to the same type of palm-pressing, etc., that is required for success in the business world. I think, in total, any work that involves more than working solo, requires dexterity with personalities--and medicine is obviously full of a variety of them. (Perhaps this is further alluded to by the medical profession with regards to the seeming trend for medical schools to select applicants that may be more "socially adjusted", judged by extracurrics, emphasis on interview, etc.?)

Next, the family issue. I too, would love to experience the joys and sleepless eves of a wee brood of my own one day, but I don't believe that getting a medical education and having a family are an impossible duo. It can be a hell of a lot of work and take a whack of dedication to have both successfully, but (from what I've seen) it can be done.

Ciao, and good luck with your pursuits,

Kirsteen

Guest sazzafrazz

Hi everyone,

I send you all encouragement to pursue your dreams. I too am lets say, "well-seasoned". I graduated with B.A. Administrative Studies and BSc Chemistry. I ran a business for 10 years before deciding to return to medicine. I got in. Stick with it. The skills and experience you already have give you an amazing advantage over many of your competitors. While I'm always impressed with the level of maturity and intelligence (of course) and experiences of the younger successful applicants in med school there are many more reasons for you to be confident of your assets. Remember you have all of these things too plus much much more.

saz

Guest Michelle

Hi All!

I also say GO FOR IT and don't look back, life is too short to not take advantage of!!!!!

Hey Sazzafrazz, what is your story?

2 Bachelor degrees Wow that's impressive, did you always think about medicine or was it a recent desire? And then 10 years in your own business, that's even more impressive! I was just kind of interested in what type of business you ran.

Its really neat to hear the stories of people going into medicine, the truly are a facinating lot!!

Good luck to all!!!

Guest sassafrazz

I ran a wholesale window covering manufacturer and distributorship with an office in my home city and one in Minneapolis. On the surface there are few parallels between my history and medicine. On the contrary however, medicine, like business, is all about the customers. Plain and simple.

I had always wanted to be a doctor, however, circumstances around the time I was graduating presented opportunities that I felt I really had to explore. Partly because they were to good to pass up and also I wanted to make sure that medicine was the right choice for me. It's a huge commitment, and so far med school has been so much more. I love it. I love getting up everyday. I knew that I was in the wrong field because I just didn't get the same feeling in my previous career. In fact it was far opposite of that.

Archived