Premed 101 Forums

EM subspecialties

Dany

Note: for 5 year emerg, there is no "subspecialty" fellowship that will be offered through the department/division.

Critical Care is open to you - and you apply as anyone from any other specialty would. In the past people have done 1 year during their PGY4 and completed the other as a PGY6. See previous threads on this matter. It will become more difficult in future years as elective time gets shortened. Also the critical care program has to be ok with you splitting your training up.

Anesthesia is not a subspecialty - but some emerg docs have done the anesthesia +1 year which is the same as the one a family doc would do. Similarly you could pretty much do any +1 you would want that you would feel is relevant such as sports med etc. You would need to get your program to approve you doing any of these years during your 5 year training. And the program you end up in would need to be structured in such a way that you would have a year to dedicate to such an endeavour.

You would look at the family medicine + 1 programs to see which are these are offered at the university you would be attending.

Similarly look at the various critical care programs to see what their requirements are.

Does anyone know which universities offer ''supspecialties'' in (5-yr) emerg med? I mean things like anaesthesia, critical care...etc

To add to what others have said...

You really don't need to worry about what your department offers, because people move around a lot for fellowships/subspecialties. For instance, of the top of my head in about 10 seconds I can think of Toronto FRCPC residents who have done or who are doing clinical fellowships in Ottawa (paeds), London (critical care), Hamilton (sports medicine), Australia (dive medicine), Texas (aerospace medicine). This is on top of the people who have done some sort of academic degree (MPH, MEd, etc) at Harvard, Hopkins, LSHTM, etc, etc.) Many of those did a PGY-4/PGY-6 split.

And of course, a lot of people do stay at their home school to pursue their clinical or academic interests. Pretty much every university has a critical care program, whether it's run through the department of medicine or anaesthesia, a lot of places have +1 programs in anaesthesia (although I don't know any FRCPC EM docs who have done that program recently), palliative, peds, etc. Tox is a little more limited, as I think there is only one in Canada (U of T) but there are a bunch in the States and coming from Canada with an FRCPC you'd likely be pretty competitive in applying to those.

Of course, there is always a "home-field" advantage, the same way there is one for CaRMS. You will probably have an easier time matching to a fellowship at your home school just because of familiarity and proximity.

HTH.

pb

PS - and to disagree with Sats, there are programs specific to certain departments/divisions of emergency medicine. So for example Toronto offers an EMS fellowship and a trauma fellowship. However, despite my comments to the contrary above, most of those fellows have come from outside of U of T.

http://www.emergencymedicine.utoronto.ca/Education/Fellowships/Where_The_Fellows_Are_Now.htm

so who can do CC? I know IM can, EM too, something else?

ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS

1. Royal College Certification in Anesthesiology, Cardiac Surgery, Emergency Medicine,

General Surgery, or Internal Medicine, or enrolment in a Royal College approved training

program in these areas (see requirements for these qualifications). Three years of

primary specialty must be completed prior to the entry into the Critical Care Medicine

program.

Entrance from other specialties may occur but must follow completion of the primary

specialty training and must include the prerequisites of:

a) 3 months in a general care medical/surgical ICU, and

B) 15 months of clinical rotations in Internal Medicine and / or General Surgery.

http://rcpsc.medical.org/information/index.php?specialty=411&submit=Select

PS - and to disagree with Sats, there are programs specific to certain departments/divisions of emergency medicine. So for example Toronto offers an EMS fellowship and a trauma fellowship. However, despite my comments to the contrary above, most of those fellows have come from outside of U of T.

http://www.emergencymedicine.utoronto.ca/Education/Fellowships/Where_The_Fellows_Are_Now.htm

You are right, I was tired, and what I meant to try and explain was that there are no "subspecialties" specific to emerg. In the same sense as, say, cardiology is a subspecialty of internal.

I suppose EMS is the closest thing to that but there are no exams etc as of right now as far as I know, so in my mind it still isn't exactly a true subspecialty and different from other more traditional fellowships that involve some kind of standard training and culminating in an exam and recognition by the college.

• 2 months later...

Yes, you can go into critical care from multiple specialties, but if it's not one of the 5 listed there, you need to complete the primary specialty first. One reason IM is so popular as a step toward ICU is that you only need to finish 3 years of IM + 2 years of ICU and you get Royal College certification for both.

Archived