Premed 101 Forums

Presuming ED some questions for you

Guest JAY

Hi ED

Just wondering how old are you? Reading your posts it seems you have alot under your belt. Have you been practicing a law for a long time. Is your undergrad in science?

See I'm currently a Bay st. lawyer two years working and I'm thinking about med school. Only thing is I will have to step back and take the prereqs because my first degree was in Psychology. I was just wondering about your wisdom and advice for someone in my shoes regarding the move. 28 years old securities lawyer, probably 2-3 years to get preqs then med school, finally residency.

Thanks Ed your input is much appreciated

BTW have you already been accepted?

Guest Presuming Ed

Hi Jay,

No, not accepted yet, I'm applying for this coming fall. I'm 33 now, so I wouldn't worry about being 28!

I would imagine you could do the pre-req's in one calendar year even if not in one university academic year, add on 4 years med school, and 2 for family medicine residency, you'll still only be 35 or so when you start to practice - I'll be near ly 40 if I get in and do family medicine!

I did two years of of a B.Sc, but switched over to economics. I have the pre-reqs for most med schools, but likely not the marks for U of T or Western (3.5 GPA including all undergrad and law school), so I think my best chance is for Mac. Contrary to what many in these forums think, it has a good programme.

Hi ED

Thanks for your reply. I was just curious, why the switch? You are probably an established senior associate by now, you will probably leave behind a lot of compensation. Do you also find the politics of law firms unbearable at times. For me, I can't stand the enironment here on Bay st., its insane with the al nighters and office bullshit. I would rather put my mind to something useful rather than be here. I thought about a solo practice but I heard its next to impossible to make a go of it.

Are you in BigLaw (ie corporte bayst) or are you part of a small firm and if you are in a small firm how do you find things there?

On a side note, you should apply to UofT and Western, Western only looks at your last year and your best year and UofT currently strongly favours people with business/law backrounds and even told me they would certainly overlook a lower GPA just to bring in students with interesting backgrounds rather than the army of Bio applications they receive which are held to the very high standards due to the sheer volume of them.

On side note#2 the reason I said it would take me 2-3 years to get the prereq's was because it will probably take one year for the prereqs and one year of research/medical stuff while preparing and writing the MCAT.

Lastly, regarding the tuition,have you mapped out a plan for that, is it reasonable to expect to pay back tuition in the 150K range within 6-10 years with family medicine? How much do these guys make anyway, I've heard so many figures I don't know what is what.

Sorry for the assault for information Ed, I guess we are lawyers afer all!

Cheers

Jay

Guest Presuming Ed

Jay,

still alive (barely, after a mega-cold).

I've blanketed the province in terms of applications, just a little wary after seeing some other posts regarding cutoffs re marks and so on. Time will tell.

As for a plan of action re paying off debts, etc., it's a tough call. On the one hand, even with a massive debt load, the income is generally quite good, so while the Jag may have to wait, one will not likely be starving!

The Forces will pay tuition, books, fees, etc., AS WELL as a modest salary during 3 years of med school and 2 years family residency, meaning no OSAP, lines of credit, etc., and you only need serve 4 years if they subsidize you for 4 years or more (why the residency is considered subsidized I don't know yet, given that you are paid however modestly). That is one option given that I would seriously consider family practice.

If I get accepted, however, I would seriously consider a specialty. On the one hand, the eventual income is greater, on the other, residency is longer. By year 5, the pay is just under $60K in Ontario (I think - CARMS website has a statistics page for confirmation). That time could pay off some debt, but likely just the minimum payments.

I've read a post from a doctor who started practice in 1997(?), who opened a practice with a friend. Their plan entailed working 6 days a week, something like 10 hours/day for a year or two to live like paupers but pay off the debts. He says they did it on schedule!

Going to the US to make the "big bucks at low taxes" is another option, but I really can't see myself doing that. All in all, I think my plan would be just to live reasonably the first 2 to 3 years while focussing on debt reduction. My feeling is, if you are willing and able to study for 4 years, slave for 2 to 5, patience should be your plan!

I'm not looking for any quick fixes and don't expect to find any!

Oh, I'm working at a regional offfice of a national firm, commercial litigation, 1998 call to the bar. Can't stand it!

Archived