Premed 101 Forums

Dual Citizen, American Med School, Gas y u no show me love?

DeeDoc

Hello everyone! Specifically giving out a shout out TimmyMax and hoping he reads this board still...

I hold a few american medical school acceptances.

Needless to say I am super happy about these acceptances. But I have also submitted OMSAS, and I'd be MORE than willing and actually ecstatic to come home to UWO... But they take forever to give out decisions.

But in the event that I do not gain admission to UWO, how does the process of applying to CARMS go down for American Medical school graduates who are Canadian? Am I at an inherent disadvantage? The reason I ask, is that I'm scared sh!tless of the USMLE Step 1 basically determining whether or not I get to pursue anesthesiology...

Any advice from you gas vets?

Hey DeeDoc,

Congratulations on your multiple acceptances! Does that mean that you are about to enter medical school then? That's what it sounds like to me. Good luck with gaining admission to UWO- if you have a solid MCAT score, which it sounds like you do, then you should be fine for an interview.

I'll answer this question for two scenarios...first, if you get into UWO, then you'll be a CMG and you'll be competing along with around 100-110 other hopefuls for the 6 (or 7, but likely 6 since the UWO program is getting too big) UWO anaesthesia residency spots reserved for CMGs through CaRMS.

Second, if you aren't accepted into UWO and end up studying in the US, then you'll be considered an IMG and will be competing along with about 30-40 other IMG hopefuls for the 2 UWO anaesthesia residency spots reserved for IMGs through CaRMS.

So as you can see from the statistics, the simple odds of getting into the UWO anaesthesia residency program are roughly the same regardless of which stream you are in.

Obviously, there are some things that you can do to maximize your chances of getting in as an IMG. The most important of these would be to do an elective at UWO in anaesthesia as a medical student. Now I don't mean a two-week elective, I am talking three weeks at an absolute minimum and four or more weeks would be best. That way, you will get to know how things work in London, get to meet the most staff, if you attend the academic program while you're here (which you should), then you'll get to know some of the residents and the structure of the program, and overall you will gain valuable insight into the training program (specifically why it would be a good fit for you), the city (why you would want to live here as opposed to somewhere else, like Toronto), and those little intangibles that make all the difference in an interview.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Good luck with the medicine admissions process!

Timmy,

Thank you for the reply. Soooo it looks like my best bet would be to stick with the University of Chicago and hope they give me monies/scholarship right now, until I hear from UWO?

I'm also SWOMEN, but as you alluded to, I managed to hit a 37, with a 12 in verbal, so I meet the regular cut off for UWO as of last years cycle.

Or if I'm not admitted to UWO, I would probably have to suck it up and stay in America for residency... although caRMS is run before the ERAS match right? So if I matched UWO as an IMG, then I would taken out of the ERAS match?

In a nutshell, I REALLY hope they like me at UWO... cuz I wanna go back home to Western. *fingers crossed*

I'll answer this question for two scenarios...first, if you get into UWO, then you'll be a CMG and you'll be competing along with around 100-110 other hopefuls for the 6 (or 7, but likely 6 since the UWO program is getting too big) UWO anaesthesia residency spots reserved for CMGs through CaRMS.

Second, if you aren't accepted into UWO and end up studying in the US, then you'll be considered an IMG and will be competing along with about 30-40 other IMG hopefuls for the 2 UWO anaesthesia residency spots reserved for IMGs through CaRMS.

I am pretty sure that students from american med schools apply to the CMG stream... So IMHO I think there will be an inherent bias toward graduates of canadian med schools within that stream unless you impress them during your elective.

I am pretty sure that students from american med schools apply to the CMG stream... So IMHO I think there will be an inherent bias toward graduates of canadian med schools within that stream unless you impress them during your elective.

I thought this was the case too... because American schools are also LCME accredited?

Anyone else know?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In a way you actually have more control over getting an anesthesiology match if you go to a US medical school. Yes it does depend a lot on your step 1 score, but that's within your power to dominate and perform well on. For Canada, my impression is that there's far fewer attributes that they can objectively rank you on (pass/fail grading, no board scores), which then inherently makes it more difficult to separate yourself from your peers. Just my $0.02. Also I think gas in the US is starting to become less and less attractive these days as midlevels start to take over the profession and are lobbying to diminish the importance of having an MD taking care of patients before/during/after surgery.

Archived