Premed 101 Forums

PA MMI - University of Manitoba

Hello fellow future health professionals,

I have applied to the Physician Assistant Education Program at University of Manitoba this year and am looking for people to practice the MMI's with.

I am a little worried because the program was a little unclear on the prerequisites and cut off GPA. I am unsure whether I will be invited for an interview as they only accept 12 students a year and there is no preference given to Manitoba residents.

Either way practice would be great.

I am also interested in everyone's opinion of the program. If you are a current student of the program I would love to learn more about your background and your reasoning for applying.

THANKS!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for asking

The whole process was exhausting. We had breakfast with current students and was broken into 3 groups. Our group had the panel interviews first while there were presentations about the University and program. We had lunch then the MMIs. This was a long process but the time went by fast. I did begin to blank out at the last few stations :S. This was followed by the essay which was hard because I felt my mind had melted away from the day, then we had the tour of the campus. Overall I think I did well but I don't know what the program is looking for. There were 32 students interviewed from all over Canada and some from the states which surprised me. I was thinking, "Hey! apply to your own programs down there :P".

Now I'm crossing my fingers. I was told that we will find out the results on March 30th. They are accepting only 12. :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Grats on the opportunity to join the PA movement!

Best news I heard today!

I received a position offer!!! :D :D

They did warn me that they need to confirm with the faculty of graduate studies first (need a 4 yr degree & min GPA) :S

Coming from U of M I think everything is all good :) YAY!!

Back to school!

Hi Strongshow,

I will be accepting the position at the University of Manitoba and will be declining an interview with McMaster if offered. I have my family, house and friends here in Winnipeg. I also like that it is a Masters program. :)

Good Luck to you and your application :D

I received a position offer!!! :D :D

They did warn me that they need to confirm with the faculty of graduate studies first (need a 4 yr degree & min GPA) :S

Coming from U of M I think everything is all good :) YAY!!

Back to school!

Congratulations. I remember how excited I was (elated!) to be offered admission at Manitoba. I almost jumped through the roof.

Congratulations. I remember how excited I was (elated!) to be offered admission at Manitoba. I almost jumped through the roof.

I am super excited!! I can't wait to start learning again! Hopefully everything goes through with the Faculty of Grad studies. There shouldn't be any issues :o

Did you do anything to prepare before the term started? I was told to brush up on Anatomy or should I just have fun this summer :P

I am super excited!! I can't wait to start learning again! Hopefully everything goes through with the Faculty of Grad studies. There shouldn't be any issues :o

Did you do anything to prepare before the term started? I was told to brush up on Anatomy or should I just have fun this summer :P

I didn't accept the offer (well I initially did). I got into the DeGroote School of Medicine as well and, as much as I wanted to go to Winnipeg and have a masters, it was simply less expensive and easier to go to Mac so that's where I ended-up.

My advice, though, is to enjoy your free time while it lasts.

I didn't accept the offer (well I initially did). I got into the DeGroote School of Medicine as well and, as much as I wanted to go to Winnipeg and have a masters, it was simply less expensive and easier to go to Mac so that's where I ended-up.

My advice, though, is to enjoy your free time while it lasts.

Thanks for the advice. I understand the hassle it is to move to a different place. I'm glad that I will be able to stay home and study.

I'm so upset I've been waitlisted for this program :(

Any idea how many people from the wait lists get in the program/how many people are on the wait list?

During interview day the current students mentioned that there were 4 people in their class that were waitlisted that entered the program. One person found out a few weeks before the program started. I don't know how many people are waitlisted.

Are you from Winnipeg? I wonder if we met during the interview session.

Good luck :)

Congratulations on your acceptance Pearl.4! I did overhear them saying that 4 students were accepted from the wait list, I wish I knew how many people were on the wait list though to give me some hope!!!

I'm sure we did meet at some point, it sounds like we were in the same group :o

Congratulations on your acceptance Pearl.4! I did overhear them saying that 4 students were accepted from the wait list, I wish I knew how many people were on the wait list though to give me some hope!!!

I'm sure we did meet at some point, it sounds like we were in the same group :o

Ah yes...first group to do panel interviews?

Try contacting the program. They should be able to tell you where you are on the waitinglist. :)

• 1 month later...

YEY! Received approval from the Faculty of Grad Studies. :D

Officially Master of Physician Assistant Studies Class of 2014 :D:D

Any advice on what to do in the summer before classes start? Should I brush up on Anatomy? I've heard that the best thing to do is spend as much time as you can with friends and family. Any thoughts?

YEY! Received approval from the Faculty of Grad Studies. :D

Officially Master of Physician Assistant Studies Class of 2014 :D:D

Any advice on what to do in the summer before classes start? Should I brush up on Anatomy? I've heard that the best thing to do is spend as much time as you can with friends and family. Any thoughts?

Congratulations! My advice is to enjoy your summer and not think about school.

• 1 month later...

Archived