Premed 101 Forums

undecided

Guest jenx

HI everyone! I am an OAC student that has just gotten accepted to Life Sci at Queens, Human Bio at UofT, and Health Sci at Mac. Any advices on where I should go?

Thanks alot!

Guest aneliz

Congratulations!

Now where you should go....

Pick the school that you feel that you will be happiest at. Look at all factors. Which school's residences did you like best? Which school had food that you liked? Did you especially like the atmosphere at one of the schools? These things may not seem to be as important as the 'reputation' of the school or program but believe me, they are. (If not more important!) If you are unhappy with your living conditions then it is very hard to succeed acamdemically.

Now that you have been accepted, you should also look more carefully at what you would be studying both in your first year and in later years. Check out the calendars for the universities. What courses are required? How many electives do you have in different years? Choose the program where you feel that you would be most happy. (Least number of undesirable 'have to take but really don't want to' courses) Make sure that you have fully investigated all aspects of all of the programs and universities before making the big decision. It is a huge decision but if you pick carefully, you should have a great next four years!

Good luck!

Guest lifescigrad

I guess it's a little late for this kind of advice, but if I could start over again I would go for a more general program, maybe at a small university (i.e. brock, windsor).

The lifesci program (and as far as I know any other "premed" keener major), has many prerequisite courses and inevitably leads to high pressure competition. Doing something more general, like bio or psych, will give you exposure to courses offered by non-healthsci related fields. Unless you love advanced endocrinology/virology/biochem theoretical lectures so much that you absolutely have to fill your timetable with them for the last 2 years, it's better to take a stab at beginners class in a different direction, be it spanish or econ or philosophy.

Archived